cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LP wtr heater, CO alarm

flagstickfrank
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2000 Itasca Horizon 36 DP. The last three times I've used the LP water heater the CO alarm has gone off. It works well with AC power but unable to use LP option that has worked very well for past several years. Any idea where to look? I can't find any path for the gas to get into the coach.
7 REPLIES 7

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
flagstickfrank wrote:
I have 2000 Itasca Horizon 36 DP. The last three times I've used the LP water heater the CO alarm has gone off. It works well with AC power but unable to use LP option that has worked very well for past several years. Any idea where to look? I can't find any path for the gas to get into the coach.

My water heater is directly behind my sink where there is a small window. Depending on the wind, the hwh exhaust will come in thru that window and set the alarm off. Also if my roof vent is open near the alarm and it is windy the hwh exhaust will come in thru there.

Some say if your hwh is burning properly it won't set the alarm off. All I know is depending where your hwh exhausts will depend if it sets the alarm off.

You should though check the lp lines leading to the heater doesn't have any leaks.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

flagstickfrank
Explorer
Explorer
In reply to the suggestions:
Checking the date on CO detector found Sept 1999.
It was used at high altitude all three occasions, above 4000 feet.
Next step is to get new detector, check for burner flame color and
restriction in burner tube.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't know what type of water heater you have but on my Atwood, the LP lights off a burner and that blows heat through a hollow tube(maybe 3" diameter) that circulates around the water tank, and exits out the front to the exterior. I had some mud daubers build a nest inside the tube and this restricted the free flow of heat through the tube. This caused some of that flame to back feed and fumes could possible be leaking in to the interior of your coach.
Naturally it is also probable that your CO detector is original and since they have a service life of around 5 years, I am sure that yours needs replacing. All you have to do is take the CO detector loose and look at the back side and you will see the expiration date.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
If it's the CO detector that is going off when you run the water heater off LP, it could easily be the venturi tube for the burner that has gotten out of adjustment. Are you noticing excessive black smut near the water heater exhaust? If so, then the air/fuel mixture is off and that is usually due to the venturi adjustment sleeve moving over time making the mixture too rich. If you're not familiar with the adjustment, get a local LP supplier to look at it.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Are you at a higher altitude? I've experienced the same problem when leaving home (700 ft) and going to the mountains. Had to re-adjust the burner mixture control. Not enough oxygen getting to the flame.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would replace the LP Detector (probably not the CO unless it is a combo unit)

They have a 5-7 yr service life.expiration date stamped on backside of detector

Slim change propane for water heater is causing alarm to go off.....propane leak from water heater would be present 24/7 not just when in use

Replace the LP Detector
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
These units have a service life. Plus you have waited 3 times.