cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTV Wonder or similar Transit rvs with diesel engine

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Was looking seriously at purchasing an rv like the LTV Wonder but have questions about the history/reliability of the diesel engine in this vehicle. Also, while recognizing that the Wonder is a new model, is there any feedback positive or negative about it. I like the layout of the Winnebago Fuse but I think the cabinetry is low grade and looks kinda cheap. Anybody?
5 REPLIES 5

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
Though the engine does not have much of a history here in the US, my understanding is that it has been in use Globally for several years now, as far as I can find, it has been in production since at least 2006 in the 5 cylinder version. Globally it is known as a Duratorq TDCi (Turbo Diesel Commonrail injection) and in North America it is called a Powerstroke to keep a common name with other unrelated Ford diesels.

Not a bad engine, but not a cutting edge Diesel engine.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
ernie1 wrote:
I like the layout of the Winnebago Fuse but I think the cabinetry is low grade and looks kinda cheap. Anybody?

midnightsadie wrote:
LTV has cheap cabinets?? my 2007 ltv is all top of the line material. mine has the now old I 5 diesel and purrrs. it gets 20mpg all day long.

:h
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
LTV has cheap cabinets?? my 2007 ltv is all top of the line material. mine has the now old I 5 diesel and purrrs. it gets 20mpg all day long.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Though the engine does not have much of a history here in the US, my understanding is that it has been in use Globally for several years now, as far as I can find, it has been in production since at least 2006 in the 5 cylinder version. Globally it is known as a Duratorq TDCi (Turbo Diesel Commonrail injection) and in North America it is called a Powerstroke to keep a common name with other unrelated Ford diesels.

tatestIn wrote:
considering the North American version of the Transit, I'm more curious about where Ford got the automatic transmission, than I am about the engines. In the rest of the world, it is a manual transmission truck.

My understanding is that it is a Ford manufactured licensed version of a German ZF automatic. It is unique in that it does not have a 1:1 ratio in it, jumping from underdrive ratios to overdrive ratios. It is also unique in that shifts do not override the previous gear as in many older automatics, it has to "switch shift" disengaging one gear to engage the other, thru the magic of electronics. Same basic 6 speed Ford is now using behind the V-10 in the E-350/450 models.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hard to say. The engine has been on the global market as the 3.2 Duratorq for about ten years, used in global model Transits, global Ford Rangers, and the Mazda BT-50 ute (Australia market). But the engine branded Powerstroke for the N.A. market has been substantially modified to meet our emissions specs. So we have to consider it as "new."

The basic engine is quite solid, rather heavily built for its size and power output, compared to similar sized diesels built for passenger cars in the global market. The new tech on top of this, common rail injection system, multi-spray injectors, variable geometry turbo, and emissions control add-ons have been used on other engines for a few years, but the total package is new.

The diesel engine use on the Ram Promaster by comparison, is ancient and thus fairly well proven. But it is also out of date with respect to today's performance (emissions and economy) expectations.

In considering the North American version of the Transit, I'm more curious about where Ford got the automatic transmission, than I am about the engines. In the rest of the world, it is a manual transmission truck.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B