cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufacturer poor quality control caused a flood

Jw4fun
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, just wondered if anyone had had to deal with flooding because the manufacturer never installed a cover plate under a shower in a wheel well. We were flooded 3 times as the tires spayed rain water into the coach through a one foot square hole.

We have all kinds of crud inside the coach, and it soaked into cabinets, under cabinets and into the walls.

What recourse might I have, the coach is just 6 months old.

Thanks everyone.
37 REPLIES 37

Jw4fun
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Welcome to the forum. I have found that Thor is usually very good about handling warranty and manufacturer related issues. I agree that waiting made it worse and they should have been contacted directly the first time. You are provided a concierge when you bought your coach and that's something that could have been remediated through them pretty quickly. Since it happened 3 times, make sure the sub floor isn't compromised as well. This issue may have grown due to the lack of immediate attention. Exposure to moisture multiple times may have exacerbated the issue. Just make sure you deal with Thor and they will fix it. AS others have said, taking it to the dealer should be fine. I am not sure taking it all the way back to the factory is necessary if you have a decent dealer to work with.

Thanks Effy. For clarity the 3 times were essentially concurrent days on our trip home from Florida. They were not 3 seperate events (like camping trips). The dealer is very accomodating and helpful. I will let you all know how this plays out. Thanks again.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. I have found that Thor is usually very good about handling warranty and manufacturer related issues. I agree that waiting made it worse and they should have been contacted directly the first time. You are provided a concierge when you bought your coach and that's something that could have been remediated through them pretty quickly. Since it happened 3 times, make sure the sub floor isn't compromised as well. This issue may have grown due to the lack of immediate attention. Exposure to moisture multiple times may have exacerbated the issue. Just make sure you deal with Thor and they will fix it. AS others have said, taking it to the dealer should be fine. I am not sure taking it all the way back to the factory is necessary if you have a decent dealer to work with.
2013 ACE 29.2

Jw4fun
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Being in St Louis, I would talk to your dealer and the Factory and arrange for the Motorhome to be fixed in Elkhart, Indiana if that is where it was built. I also do not understand 3 times????? Why did you allow it to happen 3 times? Did the dealer not find and fix the problem after the first time? Doug

Hi Doug, this was all part of one St. Louis to Naples FL trip.

Jw4fun
Explorer
Explorer
By way of explanation we experienced a leak previously and thought it was the showeer or perhaps a gray tank backflow. The dealer looked at it and could not replicate the issue. I only discovered the hole after the 3rd time while we were coming back home. All floods occured on the same trip. We were able to minimize the last one by packing towels around the shower.

Thanks, agree with advise to send back to the factory.

MrWizard
i think the first time this happen

i would have gone to the hardware store

bought a piece of sheet metal or LExan

some polyurethane sealant

and covered the dang hole
then a coated it on the outside with automotive undercoat

this could have been done even a 1000 miles from home base

sure the factory messed up, but you made it worse by not taking it in the very first time or handling it your self

good luck with the dealer
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Jw4fun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for making me welcome and your comments

dcg9381
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what the issue is exactly. IF we're talking about a seal / cover that's on the exterior, just take it to the darn dealer. A "return to factory" is for a major repair that the dealer can't or shouldn't do (like a delaminated wall).

The only thing that would change my mind is if you have additional damage from the water.

I would not indicate that you let this happen 3 times.

Thor is not well know for quality or particularly good post-sale service.

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
Why did it take you three times to realize a problem?

Just another quality product from Thor !!!!!!! NOT
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Being in St Louis, I would talk to your dealer and the Factory and arrange for the Motorhome to be fixed in Elkhart, Indiana if that is where it was built. I also do not understand 3 times????? Why did you allow it to happen 3 times? Did the dealer not find and fix the problem after the first time? Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Georgew48 wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
If at all possible arrange to take it back to the factory for repair. It will get done better and in less time than the dealer IMO

I don't understand, if the factory was the one for the original poor quality how is taking it back to them going to result in a better quality fix?

The Factory LINE workers do NOT fix units after they are off the production line. There is a separate Service Center with other Technicians that do this Service Work. Doug

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
If at all possible arrange to take it back to the factory for repair. It will get done better and in less time than the dealer IMO

I don't understand, if the factory was the one for the original poor quality how is taking it back to them going to result in a better quality fix?
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.
You got flooded three times because of a hole in the wheel well? Didn't you take any action after the first time?
I agree with taking it to the factory for repairs.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I would call Thor and then drive it to Elkhart, Indiana to have it fixed at the factory.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your quality, or lack of, issue. Sadly they are common in the industry. I hve seen video footage of RV asembly and seems to be all about speed. Little pride in workmanship or attention to detail. It would be cheaper to slow down and take some pride. But what do I know? As previously mentioned factory warranty should take care of it all. Hopefully in a timely manner so as not to cut into your camping time this season
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)