cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max Air on Dash Air Condition

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
My question is that when you turn the dash air switch on Max Air, I think it closes the door to just to re –circulate the air inside he coach. But before I had my dash air repaired it seemed to blow harder on the Max Air than on the regular air. The repairman said no it doesn’t and is not suppose too.
It is on a 06 Winnebago Adventurer, Work Horse chassis.
I just had the compressor go bad on the darn thing and it was blowing warm air. The compressor would try to turn but never really could get going.
Now every thing works right except the max Air. The repairman says it doesn’t blow harder on Max, not suppose too. I just know it use too. Any help?? Thanks much.
8 REPLIES 8

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
RonandWanMI wrote:
Hello, I don't post here much, but i do know your problem.
I've worked with airflow for over 30 years, (now retired)

Most, (if not all) automotive a/c systems use a squirrel cage type of blower for your a/c.

I will try my best to explain my reasoning.
All my cars and RV have a "MAX" A/C setting.

All this does is to shut off the outside intake, and flip a door to suck up fresh air from 'inside' the vehicle.
This makes the motor able to suck more air thru the blower using the same voltage. The motor will be able to suck more air since it is no longer pulling air from who knows how many crooks and turns and how long of plastic or coiled type ductwork.
When you switch to recirc or MAX this will increase the airflow thru the duct work, and it 'will' use more current, but the actual airflow will increase because of the reduction of the inlet restricting to the blades of the blower and it 'will' make the motor increase airflow.
So, while the switch does not change the voltage to the switch, it allows more airflow thru the system by shortening the airflow path to the blower, and you will feel it thru the vents if all installed correctly.
Any questions, just ask. 😉

Yea, I sure do agree with every thing you said. However I can only see a vaccum line and it appears to be attached correctly. But I can not figure out how to see if the door is closing or not. Where in the heck is that door???
Thanks for all the info.

RonandWanMI
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I don't post here much, but i do know your problem.
I've worked with airflow for over 30 years, (now retired)

Most, (if not all) automotive a/c systems use a squirrel cage type of blower for your a/c.

I will try my best to explain my reasoning.
All my cars and RV have a "MAX" A/C setting.

All this does is to shut off the outside intake, and flip a door to suck up fresh air from 'inside' the vehicle.
This makes the motor able to suck more air thru the blower using the same voltage. The motor will be able to suck more air since it is no longer pulling air from who knows how many crooks and turns and how long of plastic or coiled type ductwork.
When you switch to recirc or MAX this will increase the airflow thru the duct work, and it 'will' use more current, but the actual airflow will increase because of the reduction of the inlet restricting to the blades of the blower and it 'will' make the motor increase airflow.

So, while the switch does not change the voltage to the switch, it allows more airflow thru the system by shortening the airflow path to the blower, and you will feel it thru the vents if all installed correctly.

Any questions, just ask. 😉

RedG
Explorer
Explorer
They may have knocked the vacuum hose that opens/closes the door off when working on it.
A close inspection should reveal the door and how it operates.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Brian in Michigan wrote:
I think with mine it just sounds that way because of the air being pulled in near the floor, so it sounds like it is working harder.

I do agree that it may just sound that way. However, now, there is no change in the sound or the Air flow.
I got a feeling that the door closing off the outside air is not closing. My trouble is I don't know just where that door is located so I can see if it's closing or not. Also it blew out little bit's of foam rubber after they worked on it last year. The repair man just said after a coach gets so old that rubber just falls apart.
As I said I just have a feeling that that rubber may be stopping the door from closing. Thanks

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Max Air on a Class A motorhome does NOT make the fan blow at a higher speed. It DOES close the outside intake door and recirculates the Inside air which will result in colder air output. "Some" Vehicles, it does engage a higher fan speed, but not Class A motorhomes. Doug

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Max Air is for recirculating inside air and makes more noise, but I have never known one to blow harder, it just sounds like it is blowing harder.
X-3
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Max Air is for recirculating inside air and makes more noise, but I have never known one to blow harder, it just sounds like it is blowing harder. Regular setting cools outside air and makes less noise. I turn on Max Air for few minutes to help cool down quicker, then switch to regular to maintain cool while getting a little fresh air as well.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
I think with mine it just sounds that way because of the air being pulled in near the floor, so it sounds like it is working harder.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.