Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michelin LTX Recall BLOWOUT!!!

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I am new to forum and new to RVing.

I bought a almost mint 2003 Winniebago Minnie 29B last September.
It basically sit up for several years so we have had to do work on the RV from sitting up parked but nothing major.
One thing I was not worried about was the tires they had been changed in 2011.They were Michelin LTX M/S LT225/75/R16.No dry rot cracks separation anything had check several times even taken off the RV,all okay.
Well weekend before last The wife and I were going to take a get out of town over night trip 100 miles from home. Well we got 45 miles out of town and the right inside rear tire blew. The blown tire caught the exhaust pipe threw it on top of the tires and pushed the exhaust and muffler against the drive shaft which popped one of the keepers on the rear u-joint, broke the fiberglass and trim on the wheel well and bent a gas line going to the furnace.
I first thought it was bad luck and Michelin was now making bad tires so last week I started looking for new tires and found out the LTX was a recall.
Discount Tire is replacing them with XPS Rib since LTX is on backorder. so that's a good thing...Better tire.
My next question to every one has anyone had experience with Michelin Customer Service? Michelin is having us fax over the road service call and the U-joint replacement. Michelin is needing 2 quotes on everything else and has assigned a adjuster for our warranty issue.
I am considering keeping the blown tire and not giving it to Michelin yet until everything is resolved.

Has anyone had these issues also and if so do you have advice?

Chae
37 REPLIES 37

paullac
Explorer
Explorer
synergy_58 wrote:
Is there a process for checking to see if my tires are under this recall?

Camper World installed 6 new Mich. LTX MS2's on my Navion last year May 2013. I now have 7000 miles on them. They sat for 7 months through the winter.

I will be leaving on several trips this spring/summer and then on a 8000 mile trip in September 2014. I want to make sure I have safe tires.

M/S tires were recalled.
M/S2 tires are the new & improved model so the speak.
So, if you have M/S2 tires - emphasis on the 2 at the end - you are fine.
All previous rigs below are sold - waiting until the kids graduate to the buy the next one!
'13 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 Class C
'04 Fleetwood Sedona Pop Up / Reese Mini 350 / Prodigy / BAL
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a process for checking to see if my tires are under this recall?

Camper World installed 6 new Mich. LTX MS2's on my Navion last year May 2013. I now have 7000 miles on them. They sat for 7 months through the winter.

I will be leaving on several trips this spring/summer and then on a 8000 mile trip in September 2014. I want to make sure I have safe tires.
[img/Users/Frank/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2/Originals/2014/Apr 2, 2014/2009_1306_Nav_BlueMoon.jpg[img]

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
Tireman9,

The image did not come through .
The thread completely blew of. The side walls,
I'll post some pics of the tire and the damage this week.

I was driving 5 mph below the speed limit of 70 the outside temp was 73 degrees and the psi was 80 an OEM of 80 psi it was checked just 2 hours before.

Tireman9
Explorer
Explorer
Did you have a "tread separation" like this

or a "blowout" ie run low flex failure like this ?

Different conditions establish different causes.
40 years experience as tire Design & Quality engineer with focus on failed tire forensics.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
chaeworld wrote:
The thing you have to remember. It is a ton and a quarter truck. That's loaded to the max.

Good point!

Our Class C MH is on Ford's ton-and-a-half chassis and loaded continuosly to only about 90% of it's capacity - so I'm aways down from the Michelin LTX M&S2 Load Range E tire's capacity. Even then, I still run the rears at full pressure to minimize sidewall flexing when going down the road and the unnecessary heating that comes from the flexing. This is especially a concern in warm weather RV travel.

I'm not sure that steel in sidewalls (the Michelins of course are steel belted in their tread areas) means much as regards to overall load carrying "ruggedness". As I understand it the main reason for steel in the sidewalls is for recapping capability on commercial vehicles and for better sidewall scuff resistance during in-town delivery situations.

It looks like the only real choices left for all steel Class C RV Load Range E tires, with more than just a highway summer tread, and on 16 inch rims may be either the Michelin XPS Traction tires or the Goodyear G947 RSS Armor Max M&S tires.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I replaced tires on our first Class C, I wanted M&S even though we live in FL and camp locally. My logic was they'd help us not hydroplane in the pouring rains we get. I don't know how much they helped, but I heard afterwards that "Rib/Highway" tires tend to track straighter than "Traction/M&S/Snow." For that reason, I'll replace our Rib Type (Bridgestone Duravis) with another Rib. So, my input would be to go Rib unless there's an anticipated need for winter weather traction.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone,

I got the XPS yesterday. Now I need to see what Michelin will do on the other damage caused from the blowout.
I used to drive a truck and we ALWAYS used steel belted tires. I questioned when I bought the RV that it had LT tires I figured there was a reason.
The thing you have to remember. It is a ton and a quarter truck. That's loaded to the max.

I use Bridgestones on my E250 work van Duravis M700 HD. They are good tires.
When this went down I was looking at Bridgestone R250 that are all steel.
I will update everyone on what Michelin does.

paullac
Explorer
Explorer
Just something else to consider in the XPS Rib vs LTX M/S2 debate...

The Rib's are summer tires only & the M/S2's are all season tires (per Michelin's website).

Granted, most of us aren't driving our C's around in a blizzard. But something to consider if you live or drive in the Northern parts of the county.
All previous rigs below are sold - waiting until the kids graduate to the buy the next one!
'13 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 Class C
'04 Fleetwood Sedona Pop Up / Reese Mini 350 / Prodigy / BAL
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
The LTX MS2 should be fine for lighter Class C motorhomes. For heavier longer motorhomes I like the design margin afforded by heavier, all-steel casing tires.

Unfortunately Bridgestone appears to have discontinued the Duravis M895 M+S. It no longer appears in their catalog as it did when I purchased my 7 tires last year. Tirerack shows only the 215/85-R16 size.

For M+S tires of that type it seems only the even more expensive Goodyear G947 RSS Armor Max is left. It has this tread pattern:

There have been folks that have the G947 on this forum but have not heard anything from them for a long time.

More info on the G947 here from Goodyear:
http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/tires/details.aspx?prodline=160026

Another factor to consider when researching tires is to look at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) site for information about complaints/recalls of the Brand/Model you are researching.

This site is located here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues?prodType=T

The Duravis M895 is a much lower volume tire than the LTX MS or MS2 tires, however there are zero recalls or complaints.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use Bridgestone Turanza tires on our sedan (on our 2nd set) with outstanding results over the years.

I considered the Duravis M895 before I installed our 2nd set of Michelins (LTX M&S2) on our E450 Class C, but thought they would be somewhat of a "Class C application unknown" to me ... plus they were really over the extreme top on cost (much higher than Michelin LTX).

I tried to add a helpful link below for those who might want to check out the Duravis M895 tire for Class C motorhomes with 16 inch rims, but Bridgestone sure does not make this tire easy to find - at least starting with a search from this Bridgestone corporate website:

http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/us_eng/truck_radials/index_2.asp

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
Again ... the Bridgestone Duravis M895 all-steel casing commercial tire has a smooth highway tread that is recommended/intended for summer use. However, to Brigestone's credit it is offered in the taller size of 215/85/R16 for slightly improved Class C ground clearance and gas mileage due to it's larger diameter over that of the 225/75/R16 size tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Duravis+M895

If I was to go the all steel Class C tire route I would instead consider Michelin's XPS Traction tire - if I was willing to take a chance on it's particular Performance Rating categories (see the bar graphs on the link below) that are worse than the same categories for Michelin's LTX M&S2 tire:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/light-truck/xps-traction/tire-details

Tirerack information is incorrect...Duravis M895 is a Mud/Snow rated tire and has the M+S lettering on the sidewall. Here is an image of the tread pattern.

I do not like the XPS traction tread pattern, seems it would be rough on the highway, however would be great off-road:

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again ... the Bridgestone Duravis M895 all-steel casing commercial tire has a smooth highway tread that is recommended/intended for summer use. However, to Brigestone's credit it is offered in the taller size of 215/85/R16 for slightly improved Class C ground clearance and gas mileage due to it's larger diameter over that of the 225/75/R16 size tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Duravis+M895

If I was to go the all steel Class C tire route I would instead consider Michelin's XPS Traction tire - if I was willing to take a chance on it's particular Performance Rating categories (see the bar graphs on the link below) that are worse than the same categories for Michelin's LTX M&S2 tire:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/light-truck/xps-traction/tire-details

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
chaeworld wrote:
Discount Tire is replacing them with XPS Rib since LTX is on backorder. so that's a good thing...Better tire.

I don't know about the XPS being "better". However, it is a "different" tire than the new LTX M&S2.

The main purpose of the XPS Rib's steel is for more sidewall puncture and scuffing resistance on delivery vehicles that may rub against curbs a lot. For RV use, the steel in the XPS Rib's sidewalls probably will make for a rougher ride, and ... perhaps a more important negative ... the XPS has a rather smooth highway tread design.

"M&S" of course means "Mud & Snow", which IMHO is a better all around tread design for general RV use.

What I REALLY WISH was available as a super-rugged tire for Class C motorhome use is a quality Load Range G M&S tire in the 225/75/R16 or 215/85/R16 size and type. I'd use these with my stock rims at only Load Range E pressures, but travel much more at ease due to the extra plies in the Load Range G tires.

A commercial grade tire that has an all-steel casing is designed to operate fully loaded 24/7. As such it will have significantly more design margin than a standard LT tire. The increased ruggedness can be seen in the tire weight, 49 lbs for a 225/75-R16 Rib vs 38 lbs for an LTX MS2. I can't speak for the Rib, but in the case of the Bridgestone Duravis M895 all-steel casing commercial tire that I run, it has 3 steel belts under the tread instead of 2 for extra toughness. It also weighs 53 lbs./tire.

The M895 does not ride rough...in fact it soaks up expansion joint thumps compared to the previous tires.

If you want to get a load range F or G tire then you are also talking all-steel casing commercial construction. Upgrading to a Rickson 17.5 inch wheel will allow you to move to a load range F or G tire.

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Been on a waiting list for about 6 weeks at my local tire dealer for 7 tires under the recall. Just after I read the first posts this morning, dealer called to tell me that they got 15 of the new MS2 in and 7 are mine.
Getting them installed on Thursday and leaving on a trip on Friday. How's that for timing.
Grumpy

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
chaeworld wrote:

I don't know about the XPS being "better". However, it is a "different" tire than the new LTX M&S2.

The main purpose of the XPS Rib's steel is for more sidewall puncture and scuffing resistance on delivery vehicles that may rub against curbs a lot. For RV use, the steel in the XPS Rib's sidewalls probably will make for a rougher ride, and ... perhaps a more important negative ... the XPS has a rather smooth highway tread design.

"M&S" of course means "Mud & Snow", which IMHO is a better all around tread design for general RV use.

What I REALLY WISH was available as a super-rugged tire for Class C motorhome use is a quality Load Range G M&S tire in the 225/75/R16 or 215/85/R16 size and type. I'd use these with my stock rims at only Load Range E pressures, but travel much more at ease due to the extra plies in the Load Range G tires.