Did you mean:ย 

Michelin tires

bobpie
Explorer
Explorer
Just posted in class A motor homes
Michelin tires 245/19.5 sate code 2514
the issue is side wall check cracking
I take very good care of my tires, 3rd set on my coach so far and I never had any tire issues at all.
this is just unacceptable to me
My tires are always covered and are parked on trex decking in my back yard. Pumped up the the proper pressure even during storage
FYI to every one that has these POS tires.
Keep a eye on them as they are apparently Junk tires that I payed p lot of money for.
2001 suncrusier, 32-v, Ford V10, 4 Koni FSD, dinning slide, No leaks, 1 wife, 1 westie, life is good! 03 malibu toad sometimes, roadmaster brake pro,roadmaster Blackhawk all terrain tow bar!
24 REPLIES 24

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
We just replaced 4 drive axle Michelin's at 101,450 miles. Wore them out, but no sign of sidewall cracking or any other abnormal sidewall issues. In fact, the tire guys doing the replacement commented that they were the first RV tires they saw that were worn out and not rotted. It seems to me that all you have to do to prevent these type problems is to RUN THE TIRES ON THE ROAD. Our tires were 7 years old.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Bruce_Brown
js218 wrote:
^^^^^ Not true mine show no signs of cracking on the sidewalls maybe because I'm constantly on the move and not sitting for more than a week at a time. Just my opinion. When I do replace will purchase 10 more Michelins.

It does seem to be luck of the draw. As mentioned, the set that was on our current MH gave us excellent service for ~ 9 years and still looked great when they came off. With the MH before that we had one blow out while it was parked in our garage. The tires were only a few months old and the steel cords were rusted. Impressive! :B

The Michelins that come on my Super Duty trucks have been just as bad. They're a 60,000 mile rated tire, the last set wouldn't pass NYS inspection at 28,000 miles. The best I've ever done on these (3 different trucks) has been 33,000 miles - and it's not like I'm a kid out doing burn outs. I'm an old guy who keeps them properly inflated and they're rotated every oil change too. I guess I could say the good news is they didn't crack, the bad news is they still didn't last 2 years.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

js218
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^ Not true mine show no signs of cracking on the sidewalls maybe because I'm constantly on the move and not sitting for more than a week at a time. Just my opinion. When I do replace will purchase 10 more Michelins.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
This happens on all Michelins. I would never buy Michelins. with that said, my new to me MH has 22.5 Michelins that are 2 years old. I`ll keep an eye on them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

js218
Explorer
Explorer
My Michelins are 3.5 years old 138,000 miles and still going strong was going to replace at 150,000 miles but we shall see.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Bobpie,
You are now witnessing what many, many of us have already gone through. JUNK MICHELIN TIRES!!!!!!! And, with a bit of searching on this and a couple of other RV forums, you'll find lots of folks that have ventured over to quite a few other brands. Not only for better dependability but, for quite a bit less money too. We did it about 1.5 years ago when the 6 year old, protected just as good as yours are, 40K mileage 255 80R 22.5 Michelin XRVs were cracking. Those were and are, proprietary to Michelin so, I found some 265 75 22.5" Yokohama RY-103 LRG tires for about $2,000 less for all six than the junk Michlens.

Way better price, ride is fantastic, the coach handles outstanding and, we're waaaaaaay better off in the pocket book.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are 4.5 years old and are getting quite cracked. Will replace them before next long trip. AND it's not sunlight that does it, looking at the inner rears they're just as cracked as the outers.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I had severe cracking on three year old Michelins and two blew out the sidewalls in less then four years.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bruce_Brown
enblethen wrote:
25th week of 2014 makes them old.

Old??? They're not 5 years old yet!

To the OP, welcome to the Michelin Club.

It seems with a Michelin you never know what you'll get. Fortunately the last set we had on our MH were good, only set we've ever owned I could say that about - and we've owned a lot of them.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
25th week of 2014 makes them old.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker