Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microwave door wont open

luvdoggiez
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there everyone,

We have a Sharp microwave R-1870 series unit in a 2002 Allegro bus motorhome. The door release button on the microwave won't push in as far as it use too and release the door. We find that if we keep working the button, the door will eventually release. Has anyone run into this before? If so, what did you do to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

Eric and Carol Anderson
Fulltiming with two great Pit Bulls.
2003 Allegro Bus 40DP that we absolutely love! 🙂
Our Blog
3 REPLIES 3

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if this will work, I would try it....
While pushing the open button, give a quick press on the door to see if it will pop open.
If there is a way, try pulling slightly on the door as you press the button.
After the above, I got nothing....
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand that one common cause of this sort of thing is a buildup of gunk in the latch mechanism, generally where the hooks on the door connect into the main part of the microwave. Disassembling enough to get at it and clean it up should cure it if that is the problem. (If it's not gunk, it's clearly some sort of wear or misalignment of the door vis-a-vis the latch mechanism, and examination and adjustment would still be in order.)

Do be aware if you try to take the microwave apart that they can be quite hazardous due to the high power, high voltage supply for the magnetron. The high voltage capacitor can hold a deadly charge even after the microwave is turned off and unplugged. Here is a through document on safely troubleshooting microwaave ovens that is very well worth consulting.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I'd put a small spray of WD-40 on any visible moving parts. Sounds like it's just gunked up.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)