cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

mid engine Class A

ttucke5
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any pros or cons in regards to a mid engine diesel class A motorhome. I'm looking at purchasing one, but I'm not sure if their are any inherent problems.
10 REPLIES 10

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
For many years, Leyland Motors (in the UK) made under-floor engined transit and long-distance single-decker coaches. Most had a 350 cu.in., 6-cylinder diesel engine and 4-speed stick-shift. The engine was laid on its side about midway between the front an rear axles. I think they made some of the long-distance chassis with their humongous 680 cu. in. engine to get a high-speed cruise on the freeways.

I can remember being passed on the freeway, when riding my Vespa, by 45' coaches doing 85 mph or more. I got a real lesson on wake turbulence!
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
An interesting review

Clicky
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

bobcatcharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard that the mid engine Newmar Allstar model was very easy to service. No first hand knowledge.
2004 Dutch Star

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted because I didn't read the thread title carefully.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Storage_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Travel Supreme made a 41' with a garage you could put a Smart car in. I always thought that was a cool idea.
Gary & Misty
2014 Thor Palazzo 36.1 FOR SALE
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
2013 Ranger Z118 45th Anniversary Edition W Mercury 150HP
2014 Cardinal 3850RL
2014 Ram 3500 Diesel Dually Longhorn

Lug_Nut
Explorer
Explorer
The All Star was a great rig. The only reason they stopped building them I believe was the price point. It was designed with the younger family in mind. Unfortunately the finances of that demographic was not good after the '08 crunch.
I have not heard any negatives in regards to the ME Spartan chassis.
'13 Newmar King Aire 45' ISX 600

ttucke5
Explorer
Explorer
this is a 2007 Newmar all star 3951, with a cummins 350. we have 4 kids so need the beds

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is a great design! I particularly liked the four ahead seating on one floor plan. That would be great for a Family of four!
The upstairs...downstairs ..bedrooms are also appealing!
I would not use a Toy Hauler ...garage...but for those that have quads Or bikes i can certainly relate!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Newmar used one for a while, advantage was layout flexibility, could do low floor toy hauler and upstairs/downstairs bedroom configurations. That would be my reason to buy, a floorplan not available in rear engine.

Disadvantages? Maybe access for service more difficult, maybe more noise where passengers ride, compared to rear engine.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
What is the make/model?
To get idea...
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours