cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Might buy new so you don't have to.

travellandmark
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at buying my first RV. Class A. Lower 30s gas unit. I think I am going to wait till mid Feb, so I don't have to worry about******freezing, figuratively and literally in Lower Alabama. Plus it will give me time to talk myself out of it. Basically, why would a unit be 40k cheaper 5 hours away? I am sure both stores could tell me why their's is best, but I want to have an opinion when I get there.

List 5 things you couldn't do without on your home away from home.
23 REPLIES 23

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
To me the 5 things in order of importance to me is: 1, Full basement storage with at least 2 pass thru compartments large enough to store bikes,ladders,tables etc. 2, Large FW tanks(80-100 gals) 3, Chassis performance (40 -60 mph in 13 secs or less) 4, 2 slides or full wall slide on drivers side. 5, Handling,able to drive it with one hand like a car without getting pushed around by a passing truck. There are a lot of other nice to haves and personal preferences but these are my top 5.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
travellandmark wrote:
timmac wrote:

I know your thinking new but there is lots of 2 to 4 year old slightly used motorhomes that will save you thousands compared to new.

I just get scared since within 2 months of owning it I am taking across country with my wife and kids. 40 days for my 40th birthday. I don't want any problems on that trip. I don't want to buy an RV and then put on a new set of tires or fix someone else's problem. When I look at a couple year old models the price just isn't that far off from new. A 15k warranty with a never been slept in smell is kinda what I am thinking. I change my mind every third day though as I read through here and see other deals out there.

If you think buying new will guarantee your 1st trip to be trouble free you are blowing smoke. Plan on plenty of problems. You can get a warranty but it will only complicate your journey. Just read previous post and you will find, everything brakes on a MH. Some early some later. Just have plenty of money to pay for a flight home.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
travellandmark wrote:
timmac wrote:

I know your thinking new but there is lots of 2 to 4 year old slightly used motorhomes that will save you thousands compared to new.

I just get scared since within 2 months of owning it I am taking across country with my wife and kids. 40 days for my 40th birthday. I don't want any problems on that trip. I don't want to buy an RV and then put on a new set of tires or fix someone else's problem. When I look at a couple year old models the price just isn't that far off from new. A 15k warranty with a never been slept in smell is kinda what I am thinking. I change my mind every third day though as I read through here and see other deals out there.

Well your up for a big surprise, many on here bought new and only to find it in the repair shop most of the 1st year fixing what they failed to do correct at the factory, motorhomes are not built at the same quality as cars and trucks are.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have always bought new myself. the answer here when one has a lemon is to unload it on an unsuspecting sucker.
I would get levelers, black tank flush, instead of full body paint.
bumpy

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that I thoroughly like are automatic levelers. I did not have levelers on my class C; not sure I would buy without levelers.

Ray

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Full body paint, black tank flush, recliner, engine brake, day and night windshield shades.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

travellandmark
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

timmac
Explorer
Explorer

Pretty much up to you want you need and don't need, some do it in truck campers with little room and some need 40 footers with washer/dryers, myself I have a 32 foot Bounder with 2 slides and it has everything I need.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Just some dealers cost more, maybe lack of RV dealers in your area, here in Vegas our used or new motorhomes always cost more at least $10,000 more on new models than else where, that's because we have few RV dealers for 2 million people and the next close's RV dealer is over a hundred miles away in another state, so they can do that here, however my last 2 motorhomes I went out of state and save thousands.