cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mild Rant. Don't Any of You Take care of your RV?

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got home from a 400 mile round trip to buy a Class C. It was another disappointment. We started a year ago looking in the $20K price range. All we found were wet, damaged, dirty,or problem RVs. They take great pictures but when you get there you can see all the warts. We raised our price range to $30K and again found worn out RVs. We increased our price range to $40K and still found the same type of RVs including today's. Most have low mileage, 10-30K.

I don't understand how people can spend $60-$100K on a new rig and let it go to pot in 5-9 years. When I sold my 6 year old TT last year, it was immaculate and everything worked. I washed it inside and out and waxed it to make sure it looked good. It was also always stored under a cover. I sold it to the first person who looked at it, at my price, which was over NADA average. I guess I'm the only one who takes care of his rig.

Now that I am looking to escalate my price range to $50- $60K I am knocking on the door of a new rig. I just cant see buying a rig that is a couple years old for the same price as a new one. Especially when it is going to be beat up and have problems.

I suspect my problem is that we are at the end of the season and all that is left are the units that didn't sell during the camping season. Surely there are others who keep their RVs up. Maybe that is why they aren't for sale. Rant over. I feel better.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!
86 REPLIES 86

Jesse_Skees
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I travelled about looking for something clean and dependable. We live in Frankfort, Ky and found a nice Class C in Ashland, Va well below market value. Went there to look at an older Class A, but found this 2007, Class C, Coachmen Leprechaun 280 DS, and purchased it. I believe it was previously a rental unit, but looked relatively unused. We looked in our state, Indiana, and Virginia and conducted a lot of Internet searches before discovering the right one. Enjoyed the search though. Hope to put more miles on it come Spring of 2015.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our 1990 Winnebago Warrior about 6 years ago for $7500. She's not much to look at. Delamination. Had a leaky roof - I fixed it by re-coating with the rubber roof paint. Mold inside sets off my allergies unless I take an Allegra. But everything works but the cruise control, because parts for it are no longer available. We use her about once a month.

If I'm dropping $40K on a vehicle it's going to be a Corvette. ๐Ÿ™‚

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Gunner45
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
My RV is a 2001 model and every now and then they ask me if it is new, it is 13 years old ans shines like it was brand new no leaks no creaks so there are some of us that have pride of ownership, then there are complete slobs.

navegator

People laugh because my husband vacuums while we are camping ๐Ÿ™‚ We have a 2004 and people are always surprised at it's age based on it's condition.

nomad_289
Explorer
Explorer
Dull, but I view maintenance as an Economic decision.

a. If delaying the maintenance will cause deterioration, repair it now. (ie roof seal)
b. If the maintenance will enhance future value (new tires, fluids, upholstery, etc) then decide whether you will own rig long enough to benefit. If planning to sell, let the new owner make the decision and discount appropriately.
c. Gradual deterioration (sun damage, etc) is a tough call, covered parking cost is probably equal to accelerated depreciation.

I was fortunate to find a RV from dry climate, covered storage with maintenance records. Interior is only average since unit was "used".

Spoke with prior owner at length on several occasions before flying out. Sharp, articulate, knowledgeable. Might serve as a clue as to how the owner runs their affairs.

Mbrown
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't take from OP how well people take care of their rigs, it is very true that everyone has a different level, commitment, desire, and available time to take care of their Rv's, their home's, themselves etc.I personally enjoy cleaning my toys up bordering on excessive, most people could really care less and just use their items to the fullest.
What I believe this thread was meant to say was; either take the little bit of time, elbow grease, money to make your Rv, Home, Boat, Motorcycle presentable and desirable for sale, or list it as poor, below average or average condition.
9 out of 10 times when I went to see an RV on Craigslist despite asking the seller pointed questions about the rig AND the listing saying Good and more often than not Excellent condition, I wouldn't take these POS's home for free !!
Granted I'm not rich, and the RV's I was looking at were in the 8-15k range, but for my family thats a lot of money, and I didn't care for people wasting my time and effort showing me their Full Litterboxes, Either clean it up or keep it Real.

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
I in turn apologize to you and others. It does ire me when folks are grouped based on generalities. Maybe due to my early years in the military. i.e. you joined up and folks assumed you were either dang near an illiterate imbecile or it was join up or become incarcerated.

I did not join and serve for the money that is for sure. lol Wife supported me for 23 yrs of never knowing how long I would be gone or be home. It did not change much in the civilian world either. I have been truly blessed with her.

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
abom2 wrote:
While I have only a fifth wheel and it is in fairly rough shape I will just refurbish it.

Judge me if you want. Lump everyone into the same boat with a generalized rant because you feel entitled to your vision of what condition fits your imagined price range.

I have full timed in this trailer through five hurricanes (only one good size one "Ike"). Helped neighbors with small kids and infants have a place to shower, cool off, hot meals, tv while the rest of us neighbors did clean up and security. We were out of power for only six weeks.

Lived in this thing through 3 major projects in four different locals.

Two North Dakota blizzards and one Chicago blizzard. It has housed me through -20 degree months. (Let me see you wax it in that) Then no matter how careful you are living in these underdeveloped areas try and keep the mud out.

Never had any mice and only a handful of flies. No roaches. (That is saying something on the Gulf Coast)

When working I was on a minimum 6-10 schedule, average schedule was 7-10's. I have logged 100+ hours weeks many times and went like that for 5 months straight and had to stop because my health started to go south.

In the seven years in this puppy she has cracks in filon, mold on the trim molding outside, thin carpet, etc.

Mechanically she is very sound, electrically better than new. But you want to judge me as scum because my RV has carried me through stuff that most here avoid. Rightfully so since most purchase for leisure and enjoyment. Mine was from economical necessity.

I was looking at a Super C or Class A since my DDW (Darling Dependable Wife) deserves the best I can give her after all these years of my working on the road and keeping the home front together deserves it. (I can afford it now also)

But if the responses here are typical of the owners of such I do not wish to be lumped in with them.

The fifth wheel was going to get fixed up and made to look nice before becoming my deer lease cabin but I think I will just keep her on the road.

Maybe I will be lucky enough to park my humble looking fifth wheel next to shiny mo-chine with its fresh wax and while you wax on it and polish the tires I will grab my fishing pole and get the wife and I some fresh fish for dinner and we will grill it outside and enjoy it with a nice wine.

See Ya Down The Road

Sounds like you have a well loved and well lived in RV. I apologize that you took my tongue in cheek "Rant" as a personal attack. Nothing was further from my mind. I was just tired of looking at RVs that were not cared for at all. In fact, until we found the one we purchased all we saw were wet, dirty, leaky RVs that were not fit for resale in that condition. And that was after a year of looking. We found the perfect RV for us finally just as you have for you. An a$$ for every saddle is what makes the world go round. PS you can camp next to my shiny RV anytime you wish and I'll bring the wine.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
While I have only a fifth wheel and it is in fairly rough shape I will just refurbish it.

Judge me if you want. Lump everyone into the same boat with a generalized rant because you feel entitled to your vision of what condition fits your imagined price range.

I have full timed in this trailer through five hurricanes (only one good size one "Ike"). Helped neighbors with small kids and infants have a place to shower, cool off, hot meals, tv while the rest of us neighbors did clean up and security. We were out of power for only six weeks.

Lived in this thing through 3 major projects in four different locals.

Two North Dakota blizzards and one Chicago blizzard. It has housed me through -20 degree months. (Let me see you wax it in that) Then no matter how careful you are living in these underdeveloped areas try and keep the mud out.

Never had any mice and only a handful of flies. No roaches. (That is saying something on the Gulf Coast)

When working I was on a minimum 6-10 schedule, average schedule was 7-10's. I have logged 100+ hours weeks many times and went like that for 5 months straight and had to stop because my health started to go south.

In the seven years in this puppy she has cracks in filon, mold on the trim molding outside, thin carpet, etc.

Mechanically she is very sound, electrically better than new. But you want to judge me as scum because my RV has carried me through stuff that most here avoid. Rightfully so since most purchase for leisure and enjoyment. Mine was from economical necessity.

I was looking at a Super C or Class A since my DDW (Darling Dependable Wife) deserves the best I can give her after all these years of my working on the road and keeping the home front together deserves it. (I can afford it now also)

But if the responses here are typical of the owners of such I do not wish to be lumped in with them.

The fifth wheel was going to get fixed up and made to look nice before becoming my deer lease cabin but I think I will just keep her on the road.

Maybe I will be lucky enough to park my humble looking fifth wheel next to shiny mo-chine with its fresh wax and while you wax on it and polish the tires I will grab my fishing pole and get the wife and I some fresh fish for dinner and we will grill it outside and enjoy it with a nice wine.

See Ya Down The Road

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found ours in Scandia, Minnesota, one way flight, fun trip home no regrets. Units in S. Cal at the dealers were sketchy. Used units by private owners were

scary.

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
Our first RV was a Class C and I looked for a few months and was running into the same issues you are having. I responded to an ad for a 1998 and that was 5 years ago and the guy was asking quite a bit, but we thought worth the ride out there. When we got there it was a farmer and he had it in his barn. It was virtually brand new immaculate and so well cared for we couldn't believe it. He showed us that everything worked. We made an really good offer and he accepted it. They are out there, but patience and time is the secret. We traded that RV in on a Class A that we fell in love with. We were 1400 miles from home, or would not have traded it in. Even today, we wish we would have flew our son-in-law down and had him drive it home. We would still be using it for little camping trips during the summer.

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with your rant. When looking for a good used one, we were surprised at several being sold by dealers that needed cleaning and cosmetic work. One class c had mold and rust in the refrigerator. It seems like a dealer could get more for their used units with a little attention to cleaning and maintenance.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The society has evolved to a throw away mentality. You use it until it is used up, and then dispose of it. Then you complain about the sorry POS and how bad it was.

They do not believe in pride of ownership.

Another factor that enters into the equation is that a fair number of new RV owners stretch the budget to get into an RV and then they do not have the money and/or the skill to maintain them properly. So the expensive dealer repairs are simply let pass.

Keep looking, there a few of the old school out there that do take pride in what they own and do take care of their stuff.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing we did when we bought our Chateau 25c, was put up a carport with three full sides. That RV is gone, but it now houses our 2006 Tioga 31w and keeps the RV out of the elements. The Tioga was garaged by the previous owner, so it still shines like new. It kills me to see neighbors that have bought new fivers, trailers, etc. just sit outside letting the Nevada sun cook them. I cannot do that to my vehicles, which is why we have two garages and the RV cover.
2016 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 262RGX 8,268 UVW 11,754 GVWR
2007 Ram 2500 QC SB 4x4 Smarty tuned 5.9 Cummins
B&W Turnover Ball & Andersen Ultimate

BennieH
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is a 2004 and we take a lot of pride in it. It gets thoroughly cleaned after each outing. Anything that needs attention is promptly taken care of (wife says I'm a little anal that way). I replaced the carpeting with a laminate floor because the carpet looked dirty (best thing ever done). We are welcomed in an RV resort we stop at every year because we do keep it so clean.
I'm with you, why don't people protect their investment?
I agree triple602 that those who take care of their rigs, don't want to sell them.
Bob & Pam
2003 Monaco Camelot 40PBDD
Ford Edge or Chevy Silverado toad.

Post your Park Reviews at:
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/