cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monaco blinking "Warning" light

jim_smithjr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Monaco Cayman with a Cummins ISB 6.7 L Engine, about 50K miles on her clock.

On our recent trip from Saskatoon, SK to Victoria, BC we started having a new light blinking for about the first 20 seconds the key is on (no need to start the engine, the light still goes out).

In that time period this "Warning" light goes out and never returns until the engine is turned off and restarted. The engine is running perfectly and all the gauges are showing proper results.

I'm wondering if I might be able to cure this by just removing my starting battery ground straps for a few minutes? This method rebooted my 2012 Ford Explorer once when it got confused.

Just switching off the power switches doesn't work. There is still some power available even with the switches off.

According to my manuals this light usually is triggered by low coolant or water in the fuel. My coolant was down to the minimum level, but not below. I filled it to the maximum. The light still blinks?

Has anyone had success rebooting Monaco electronics?
Jim and Pam Smith, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
2008 Monaco Cayman 38 PDQ
2000 Bayliner 3258, Mercruiser 5.7 L X 2
1966 Lincoln Continental convertible
2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD
2009 Harley Davidson Sportster 883L
11 REPLIES 11

jim_smithjr
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis, I took your advice and drained some more fuel. This time It was dirty and when I started the engine that warning light stayed off. I've started it several times since and all is well.

Thanks for your help!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jim, like you, I drained a bit of fuel out when my WIF light came on. Looked ok so I bundled it back up but the light came back on. I ended up draining about a half gallon and found lots of junk in it. Now I don't let the tank get below half tank. Live and learn.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jim_smithjr
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis, that makes good sense. I did drain a bit of fluid out of the big filter and it seemed quite water free, however, It's also obvious that the floor of our big plastic tank was lifted by the vacuum. Any garbage on the floor of that tank would have been disturbed and could easily have gotten into the fuel pickup pipe?

Thanks for your thoughts...

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
From what you described, my guess is water in fuel. Might have to change your fuel filters. It'll be interesting to see what, if any, error codes show up. When you bled your fuel tank that low, you probably sucked up all the junk and water/condensation from the bottom of the tank. BOL...Dennis

jim_smithjr
Explorer
Explorer
Today I removed the chassis batteries ground strap for a full minute to see if rebooting the electronics might get rid of the flashing "warning" light. That didn't work either.

However...

We had another odd thing going on during our trip through the Rockies. We were running with just over 1/3 of a tank of diesel fuel, and the next time I looked (2 minutes later) my low fuel light was on and the gauge was reading flat empty. We drove for quite a distance before we were able to refuel. During this time the gauge corrected once and then went back to reading empty. When I removed the screw on cap to my fuel tank a very large vacuum was relieved. I refilled, all was well, and off we went. This might have tripped an error code?

I have spoken to both Monaco and Cummins, who found it easiest to just blame each other. I have a mechanic dropping by soon with a test unit that reads error codes.

Strange stuff? My dashboard electronics system doesn't describe what it is warning me about, or the error code.

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry about it,unit is just happy to be escaping a Saskatchewan winter!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Normally, on Monacos, after the red blinking light flashes, there is a message displayed indicating why the light was on. Often it's difficult to see so watch it closely...the alternative is to call Monaco. They are very helpful...1-800-509-3417....Dennis

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Have you had any strange regeneration issues? Those are expensive if not treated right away.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
If you have the computer information display scroll down to diagnostics and look for an error code.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

jim_smithjr
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, nothing but clean diesel fuel came out.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Low coolant or water in fuel.

You added coolant.

Have you checked the fuel filter water separator?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31