cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monaco La Palma roof issues

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
A friend has a 2006 Monaco La Palma and was told that the entire roof needs replacing. That it was bubbled up and cracked.

I told her I would post a pic here and see what others thought. When I looked at it, I did not see any bubbles. Looked stuck down solid. The small veins appear to be caused by the wood texture under the rubber. Not sure what type of roof it is, TPO or EPDM?

Thanka All. Hope the pictur is clear enough.

j
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat
2002 Ford Explorer, drag along
3 Standard Poodles 1 Mini Poodle
Vancouver Island BC, Canada
12 REPLIES 12

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Diplomat_St_Poodles wrote:
Gjac
The roof feels a bit like rubber, but our MH roof rubber appears thicker. She bought the Monaco used so she doesn't know if someone may have coated over the original. I will ask her if she has any documentation on what type of roof it had from the factory.

There are no visible leaks, but she had delamination on her previous coach and wants to make sure it doesn't happen to this one from an un-seen leak.

As well, were she has the MH serviced they are saying the whole roof needs replacing.

BTW Iwalked all over the roof and it feels solid. No soft spots, no give.
If it is a FG roof that has been coated the coating will be relatively thin maybe 3 to 10 mils thick. You should be able to take something like a ball point pen and push through the coating to feel the hard FG and resin underneath. I am not familiar with Monaco roof construction but I will say that the rubber coating on the top of the FG will protect the resin from UV damage and make the roof last longer. Again I would not replace the roof if that is the case but just reseal all seams and penetrations on the roof.

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I have passed this information on to my friend,as well I sent her a link to this forum. She thanks everyone for their input and feels much better informed when dealing with RV service companies.
Merry Christmas everyone. Thankful to be in Phoenix AZ away from the snow 🙂
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
LadyRVer wrote:
There is a Monaco Customer Service #. I have a 2011 Monaco Monarch, another poster on here has a 2013 Monaco Monarch. I believe the parent company is now Allied? So all may not be lost on the warranty situation. Worth checking with cust. service on, IMO. PM me for # and I will be glad to look to it up.
I have talked with them about 4 months ago.

March 5th, 2009. From this date backwards, ALL Monaco RV vehicles had NO warranty at all. This is the date the original Monaco Coach Corporation(MCC) filed Bankruptcy. The only warranty left was from the Engine/Transmission suppliers and the Appliance makers which for the coach systems was 1 to 2 years(depending on the appliance warranty term) from original delivery date. This included any possible roof warranty. Doug

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Monaco Customer Service #. I have a 2011 Monaco Monarch, another poster on here has a 2013 Monaco Monarch. I believe the parent company is now Allied? So all may not be lost on the warranty situation. Worth checking with cust. service on, IMO. PM me for # and I will be glad to look to it up.
I have talked with them about 4 months ago.

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
There appears to be nothing wrong with that roof. What you are seeing is the chopped fiberglass roof which is usually 3/8" thick.
If that picture is what the whole roof looks like you might want to apply a good coat of paint, but stay away from any rubber roof stuff as it will only make for more maintenance later.
There is a seam at both ends that should have Eternabond tape applied and of course all roof openings as needed.
In my opinion someone is trying to make money off a person who is uninformed.
2006 34' Monaco Cayman

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
May also want to read the owners manual or warranty /booklet if available. I would think the roof has a 10 year warranty but maybe not. A call to Monaco would verify and determine if the warranty goes with the RV or only good for the orig. owner.

I don't believe there are ANY warranties still viable after the Monaco bankruptcy in 09.

I'm sure the coach has a one piece fiberglass roof just as my previous coach (08 Safari Simba) did. The La Palma and Simba were almost identical and probably came off the same assembly line. I seriously doubt if it needs replacing and I sure wouldn't go back to the place that said it did as they are obviously just trying to rip off the OP.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There is NO warranty on any part of her Monaco as Monaco went out of business after her coach was built. ANY warranty stopped when Monaco went under. From the pics, her roof looks normal to me. It is the fiberglass resin that I see and it does appear that someone has painted some type of coating over the original roof. I would get 2 or 3 other opinions from other RV shops before I would replace that roof. Nobody(OEM's) used any wood substrate that was NOT smooth. They would NOT use a wrinkled uneven wood substrate and then apply EPDM over it. Doug

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great replies. I agree it looks like a rubber coat over fibreglass. She is going to call Monaco and see if the coating is factory installed or if it was done by a previous owner. The coating is flat, no wrinkles, just the grain from the fibre underneath.

BTW The RV service place said the roof need to be pealed off and replace. Never said anything about it being fibreglass.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
According the Monaco brochure for 2006 you are supposed to have a one-piece peaked fiberglass roof. What you are seeing may just be cracking and wrinkles ona coating that someone applied later. The fiberglass roof should be intact underneath but I would have an inspection done to make sure.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
May also want to read the owners manual or warranty /booklet if available. I would think the roof has a 10 year warranty but maybe not. A call to Monaco would verify and determine if the warranty goes with the RV or only good for the orig. owner.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac
The roof feels a bit like rubber, but our MH roof rubber appears thicker. She bought the Monaco used so she doesn't know if someone may have coated over the original. I will ask her if she has any documentation on what type of roof it had from the factory.

There are no visible leaks, but she had delamination on her previous coach and wants to make sure it doesn't happen to this one from an un-seen leak.

As well, were she has the MH serviced they are saying the whole roof needs replacing.

BTW Iwalked all over the roof and it feels solid. No soft spots, no give.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
From the picture it looks like fibers in a resin matrix(fiberglass roof). It looks like random chopped fibers with no get coat sprayed down first or the gel coat is worn away from weather. I would look at the owners manual or call Monaco and verify what roof came with the MH. Secondly you could take a ball point pen and impress it into the roof if the roof is hard and the point does not sink in it is some type of FG roof with polyester resin. If it is soft it is rubber. Either way I would not replace it if it is firmly bonded and there is not cracks for water to get in.