cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monaco motorhomes

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
For a MH company that everyone thinks is going out of business they sure are busy in Oregon. 1 month wait to get an appointment and they have MHs backed up for service. Like us, many are for paid service repairs and additions to their MH. Their manufacturing is closed here. They could double the amount of service bays here. Interesting to see the business here. I have heard Navistar just wants out of the MH diesel so not practical to own the MH manufacturing & install a Cummins diesel. What I found interesting is most of the MHs here for warranty repairs are diesel not the V10 gas RVs. Lead me to believe they may have some serious problems with the diesels. Maybe costing them money in repairs. JMHO.
23 REPLIES 23

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
They are still doing phone support out in Oregon aren't they?..or in the last week did they blow that up too...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

doubleG
Explorer
Explorer
Love my 2007 Dynasty and have learned a lot from here and Monaco Techs. Will miss techs on the phone to help, but most can be found here thru experts/owners. Also, on the east coast, you still have ALLIANCE coach in FL(old monaco center). Brett is old Monaco and at least a place to go for repairs/knowledge as well.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
2ndhom wrote:
Funny original post from the OP was about service. Most comments after that was about how the front caps look and/or comparisons of!!!

Yep, that's the way most threads go and I'm bad about steering them in another direction too! LOL!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
Mark, have you been following the problems they are having with the Navistar engine in the RVs, on the owners forums? Several different ones and belching smoke is one, along with engine shaking at low speeds, vibrations at highway speeds, among others. There is NO WAY you could give me one of those engines, let alone sell me one.

I just wonder who is going to eat the warranty with those units, Navistar or ASV?

I've heard of a few problems of them not passing the new EPA tests but wow, the smoke was amazing coming out of that tailpipe. I, too, would not own one of those engines.

MM.
Mr.Mark

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
Funny original post from the OP was about service. Most comments after that was about how the front caps look and/or comparisons of!!!

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Mark, have you been following the problems they are having with the Navistar engine in the RVs, on the owners forums? Several different ones and belching smoke is one, along with engine shaking at low speeds, vibrations at highway speeds, among others. There is NO WAY you could give me one of those engines, let alone sell me one.

I just wonder who is going to eat the warranty with those units, Navistar or ASV?

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We arrived in Flagstaff yesterday from Las Vegas. While I was coasting down one side of the mountain, a new Holiday Rambler (new front grill) was coming up the other side. It was belching a lot of black smoke climbing the grade. It shocked me because you just don't see that anymore.

Why would a new coach show any black smoke coming out the tailpipe? I'm sure this unit has the Navistar engine being that it had the new Navistar design caps (grill and tail).

MM.
Mr.Mark

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
If I were in the market for a new MH this would be the time to wait and see. I really think the new owners will restore the Monaco name and reputation. The locomotive look will be gone and owners of the Monaco trains will be in the same boat as people who bought Pontiac Azteks or AMC Pacers. Although the Liberty is a good chassis I really hope they will retain the Roadmaster for the higher end units. Navistar is not a company that can deal with consumers. The Navistar powerplant is problematic. Now Navistar is going to install the Cummins SCR system on the 13 series engines! I just wonder if the new owners will get all the data on the older units???

Moisheh

Trap
Explorer
Explorer
Well Don I guess my opinion don't count for much, heck they didn't even ask for my opinion:B
But I still like there current look:W

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Trap.....You're absolutely right, there will always be some that like the look of something that most others hate.

Just awhile ago I got this email from Monaco RV that surprised me. It was several articles about Monaco and ASV's plans of keeping the coach alive. They also showed some public sampling they've been doing with the look of the new Dynasty. Read the last part in red, apparently I'm not the only one that thinks the new caps are ugly.

"Monaco Coach owners were recently surveyed about the new styling for the 2014 Dynasty. We found that our owners were eager to participate! Of 1,132 owners surveyed, 78 percent were members of an owners club and 36 percent indicated they owned a 2007 or older Dynasty or Diplomat.

This brief summary of our survey results provided us with interesting insight into what our customers and owners appreciate and value most in Monaco RV products:

For high-end RVs, the terms “quality,” “luxury” and “expensive” ($350,000 – $450,000) came to mind, with the brands Monaco, Prevost and Newell being the three most mentioned. Our Dynasty, Executive, and Signature models were the top three considered “high end.”
The most important features were floor plan layout, chassis, and engine brand, and owners indicated these features are what differentiate high-end RVs. The Cushion Air Glide suspension was the most popular feature, and the Roadmaster chassis was indicated as providing the most luxurious and reliable ride.

Owners prefer more traditional interior décor that is comfortable and durable, along with high-quality appliances that are the appropriate size and color for the model.

“Paint and graphics” were noted as the primary Monaco Coach identifier, and owners said five-color paint quality and graphics should always be “distinguishing” on any high-end RV.
The new front cap received the lowest styling rating and the side graphics received the highest marks. Many owners want to see Monaco RV go back to the more traditional front cap and felt the company might be getting a too aggressive with their styling."
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Devonm2012
Explorer
Explorer
Trap wrote:
Devonm2012 wrote:
I was just wondering the other day what people were thinking of the new Monaco coaches. We talked to a LONG time Monaco salesman at great length (onsite for 12 days) and he had nothing nice to say about the new coaches, even though they still sell them. I actually heard him telling several customers to steer clear. You see TONS of the older ones on the road, but few of the new ones. I have only talked to three new owners (two Monaco and one Holiday Rambler) and all three were not impressed. I, personally, don't care for the Navistar front cap or rear cap design and wondered if they will be sticking it out or selling.

Most that I have been in contact with that have the new Monaco, are happy with them.
Our 2 month old new Diplomat has only had a couple of minor problems so far after living in it for two months.
We do have a bow in the bottom of one slide that we will get fixed in the fall.
As for the front and rear caps, maybe the best compliment we got was when parked beside a Phaeton, a couple of Newmars and a Beaver Contessa. Our guests said the others all looked the same, it was great to see something different.

From my experience so far I have nothing but good to say about the new Monaco's

That's great to hear! When we were finalizing our decision on manufacturer, Navistar had not started to make coaches yet so we steered away, as we wanted new. I do agree the front and backs do look different, but just not in a good way.....not to me anyway! I don't really think all of the others look the same per se, just a little more understated and blend in a bit. Different likes and dislikes is what makes America a great place! We all have the right to chose what makes us happy. Have been inside some beautiful Monaco coaches, but all before Navistar. Have only been inside one of the new ones, but not a floor plan or color scheme that would ever work for us.

Hope to see you down the road sometime. Travel safe.

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
Our 08 Monaco (purchased used in 010) has been flawless. Only service I haven't done myself was a trip to the local cummins shop for a check engine light.

I bought Monaco for the roadmaster chassis.
It is just plain superior.
If Fleetwood is smart, they will keep it, and maybe even migrate it under some of their high end coaches.

X 2 🙂 without the Cummins trip. 🙂 🙂
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Trap
Explorer
Explorer
Diplomat Don wrote:
The downfall of Monaco has been coming for years. They started by not listening to the customers. They had a year or so where you couldn't buy a Diplomat under 40+ feet when the rest of the industry was offering smaller coaches. Then they put the Navistar motor in the coach. Everyone says it works well, but how quickly everyone forgot about the Mercedes engine that showed up for a couple of years and disappeared. This will be the same thing with the Navistar.

I would not buy a coach with a Navistar engine, just because it wasn't hard to foresee that they would be short lived and consequently will be undesirable to later sell to savvy buyers. Lastly, the caps on the new coaches make them look like a "clown car". When someone says they get a lot of compliments about something, it means it's drawing attention and people don't know what else to say! Every time I see one of these going down the road, the back of the thing looks like a funhouse that's going to open up and spit clowns out the back

I'm sorry to be so harsh for those that own these, but it's only my personal opinion, but I think many others share my opinion as sales figures show.

I love my Monaco and think it was the best bang for the buck when I bought it and one of the nicest coaches on the road. It still looks modern eight years later and it was obviously attractive to others because you see a ton of them on the road. If someone gave me $300,000.00 to buy a new coach today, I wouldn't even look a Monaco coach due to their narrow vision of what the public wanted. My choice would be an Allegro Bus or a Dutch Star, coaches that people want.

Well Don you know that opinions are like a-holes and everyone has one, and many also have a different view, since it's your money you get to choose and do as you wish, since you like the generic look the choice is yours.
Fortunately for others they do have a chocie to do differently. I happen to really like the look of the New Monacos that my choice and yes I do think your choice is definitely not mine.

Sure am glad I got a choice and free to choose as I wish.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Our 08 Monaco (purchased used in 010) has been flawless. Only service I haven't done myself was a trip to the local cummins shop for a check engine light.

I bought Monaco for the roadmaster chassis.
It is just plain superior.
If Fleetwood is smart, they will keep it, and maybe even migrate it under some of their high end coaches.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog