cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Durable Alternatives to Allure Flooring?

ClassAGeek
Explorer
Explorer
As part of an insurance claim for a flooded carpet, my adjuster has agreed that replacing carpet with vinyl plank flooring is an acceptable alternative.

Trafficmaster Allure flooring (from Home Depot and others) has been mentioned here many times, so I decided to dig deeper. Most people using it at home are happy (good). Some people have issues with durability (bad). Scuffs and pealing of the top layer seem to be the most common complaint.

If you have installed Allure in your RV, what is your experience? Does it last?

I have found other vinyl plank flooring that is glued in place professionally.

Karndean Textured Flooring

It is supposedly more durable. What do think? I only need 150 sq feet so cost differences are minimal and therefore my insurance company will accept many alternatives.
----
Happy Ford F-53 Class A Owner (2008 Gulf Stream)
2010 Ford Fusion Toad (with 6 speed manual transmission - the only way to tow)
Brake Buddy Vantage, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar,
TST RV 507 TPMS, Power Master Voltage Controller
11 REPLIES 11

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
It's actually the glue joints that fail. Even though it's a floating floor, it's very hard to make it 100% floating as there are often fixings that have to go through it and the weird L shapes that exist make the expansion and contraction hard on the joints.

I dare say that if you can install a perfect rectangle of flooring it will stand up better.

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
One has to wonder if most of the problems with Allure are not consumer caused by the inability of humans to follow basic instructions. I too live in a climate with vast temperature variances, record low is -16 and record high is +111 and have had none of the problems listed. It is a floating floor, if done properly expansion and contractions should be even. If it is fastened anywhere you will have problems.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable 😛
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Allure twice and never again - as I live and travel in the desert it does not stand up to the temperature variations and failed within 12 months.

I am doing my Newmar this winter and it will be with glued down engineered wood, probably bamboo in my case. There is an expert professional on this and the IRV2 forum (Eddie) and that's what he uses to excellent effect.

Glued down vinyl would be an alternative IF it is dimensionally stable when heated and cooled - that's seems to be the #1 criteria for success.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I have used this product at my business as well as home and been quite pleased. When the time comes I will look at using it in the motor home.

Adura by Mannington
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

wilco
Explorer
Explorer
I put Allure in my last coach replacing laminate that I had installed earlier. I had no problems with the Allure and it was much better than the laminate at resisting small scratches and dents caused by the ubiquitous small stones that one encounters in most desert campgrounds. I do not know how the adhesive would stand up to being heat-soaked at over 100F if the coach were sitting in the sunny south over the summer. Perhaps someone else has experience with that aspect.
tfw

ClassAGeek
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
There was a post on this forum or the Forest River forum where people are having problems with the Allure. IIRC, it was temperature related with the joints opening up. You might want to do a search for Allure problems.

Searching for 'Allure problems' is what got me digging deeper in the first place ;). With most purchases, I find positive comments not always as useful as others. I mean, you are asking someone to validate an expensive purchase they just made. Most go in with a positive outlook - and their comments often reflect that.

The negative comments about Allure are hard to interpret. Was installation done properly? Did the flooring ever get totally flooded? I expect vinyl plank flooring to be 100% waterproof. I am finding out, that is not true for all manufacturers.

Also, wear rates seem to vary between manufacturers. Does an RV produce 'heavy traffic' compared to other applications?
----
Happy Ford F-53 Class A Owner (2008 Gulf Stream)
2010 Ford Fusion Toad (with 6 speed manual transmission - the only way to tow)
Brake Buddy Vantage, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar,
TST RV 507 TPMS, Power Master Voltage Controller

mwebber78
Explorer
Explorer
I'd find something rated for RV use (extreme heat to extreme cold) which most residential applications have difficulty with. The flooring Wood Glue mentioned is one piece, tear resistant, very durable and wore well against two dogs and kids in our previous motorhome.

http://www.syntecind.com/rv/beauflor/durabac
2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
There was a post on this forum or the Forest River forum where people are having problems with the Allure. IIRC, it was temperature related with the joints opening up. You might want to do a search for Allure problems.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Look at BeauFlor too!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at luxury vinyl planks.Just did a tt and it was nice .
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
The Allure in our MH is over 4 years old and still going strong.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable 😛
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s