cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

motor oil and flagpole opinions.............

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Recently, did a scheduled oil change in my 2001 Ford V-10. For the first time, I used a "Synthetic Blend"....part synthetic, part fossil.

The store I bought it from, the guy told me that with the "blend", should I need oil "on the road", I could use either another quart of "blend", or if that is not available, I could use either full synthetic or fossil....as the "blend" is both. Opinions?

Next question: flagpole etiquette. When putting up a flagpole, MUST the top flag be the American Flag? Always? Opinions?
10 REPLIES 10

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Ford recommends Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend for its 3 valve V-10 gasoline engines. This information is in the owners manual
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Note the pictures in rolling rhoda's post above. NOWHERE does is show more than one flag on the same pole.

Historically, One nation's flag above another's on the same halyard indicates that the vessel or fort or. . . flying the upper flag has captured the vessel or whatever from the other country.

I suppose Americans could perhaps fly the Stars and Stripes above the Union Flag (the flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain) and the flag of Texas could be flown above the Mexican flag. :B

Just don't fly it above the Canadian Flag or you might see the Pig War start up again. Only residents of WN and BC will get this reference so I posted a link..

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Synthetics are completely compatible with dino oil. You can add a quart of dino even if your crankcase contains full synthetic and vise versa. Out of curiosity, why get a blend in the first place? Full synthetic is the way to go!
Because that is what some vehicle manufacturers recommend.
When all else fails, read the owner's manual. :S

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.flagandbannersupply.com/text/FinalFlagetiquette_pg.2.jpg

Rolling Rhoda,

Awesome post...thanks!
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
Recently, did a scheduled oil change in my 2001 Ford V-10. For the first time, I used a "Synthetic Blend"....part synthetic, part fossil.

The store I bought it from, the guy told me that with the "blend", should I need oil "on the road", I could use either another quart of "blend", or if that is not available, I could use either full synthetic or fossil....as the "blend" is both. Opinions?

Next question: flagpole etiquette. When putting up a flagpole, MUST the top flag be the American Flag? Always? Opinions?

As far as I know you can always mix synthetic and Non-synthetic. Of course the less synthetic in the mix the less benefits you get. As far as the U.S. Flag, yes it is always on top accept in a few situations that an RVer should not have to worry about.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Former Scout leader here.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Synthetics are completely compatible with dino oil. You can add a quart of dino even if your crankcase contains full synthetic and vise versa. Out of curiosity, why get a blend in the first place? Full synthetic is the way to go!

American flag is ALWAYS on top.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
V10s. I just use Ford 5w-20 which is a blend. At one point I owned 2 V10 PUs and V10 MH. Never had to add between oil changes. Walmart carries everywhere so I never have a problem. I always wonder why I even waste storage space carrying any oil since there are so many Walmarts now.

American flag on top. Now if I traveled in Canada not sure. Suppose their flag should be on top.

I'm going to be installing a flag pole with a flag on my MH. That way I can run a long antenna inside the flag pole for amateur radio.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
Top flag is always the American flag, and the flag under it should be smaller than the American flag.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I think the new oils are pretty much interchangeable. If you need oil try to get what is in the engine. If not, use what is available. A different oil is better than no oil.
Carry a couple quarts of what you are using in the engine.

The American Flag is ALWAYS on top.