Did you mean:ย 

Motorcycle Carrier

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use one of these?

What brands are best?

Any issues?

My bikes tend to be in the 450lb to 600lb range. One had bags so I need to make sure it will fit.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser
44 REPLIES 44

ScubaJim
Explorer
Explorer
Hi HD Sporty,

In the research I did before buying, I found that the Hydralift was the only practical, safe solution for carrying such a heavy bike. We had ours installed in Florida at a dealer that was one of the few competent ones we could find. We are in Black Canyon City, AZ for the winter and would be happy to show you our rig and chat with you about it. Give me a call at 618-364-2528 for more info.

Jim Baird

FIRE UP wrote:
HDSporty wrote:
Hi all. I'm new here ant to RVing. I bought a '15 Fleetwood Expedition 38K. We love it and have taken it out 6-7 times sense we got it. We're taking a longer trip soon and an wondering about the HYDRALIFT. Does anyone have it on a similer RV as mine? Any info or suggestions? Thank you.

Ret. GMC USN

HDSporty,
You have a PM,
Scott
Jim, Judy and cat Buddy
2003 Discovery 39 C

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
HDSporty wrote:
Hi all. I'm new here ant to RVing. I bought a '15 Fleetwood Expedition 38K. We love it and have taken it out 6-7 times sense we got it. We're taking a longer trip soon and an wondering about the HYDRALIFT. Does anyone have it on a similer RV as mine? Any info or suggestions? Thank you.

Ret. GMC USN

HDSporty,
You have a PM,
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Research the subject here. Plenty of posts. Might even research "Hydralift".

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Why not a very light trailer? If you have a backup camera they are a breeze to back up
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

HDSporty
Explorer
Explorer

Ret. GMC USN

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Magilla......I think "Executive" made a good point about your coach and carrying that weight. Actually, if you coach was shorter, it would probably work better. You're looking at adding a lot of weight onto the rear of a long gas coach, with a long overhang, already pushing the limits of the chassis.

Initially you were talking 500-600 pounds plus the hitch, but have revised it a little as many have said that's too much. You need to be honest with yourself.....are you going to really push that much weight, with possibly two smaller bikes or one larger one?

Anything above 200-300 pounds will need some serious added on welding and hitch work. You're also talking about pushing a motorcycle weighing several hundred pounds up a ramp and balancing it. Unless you're really built like Magilla Gorilla, that can be tough.

You might want to buy one of the Harbor Freight rear storage racks (aluminum one) as a cheap experiment and put 500 pounds in it and see how it affects your coach.

You may want to rethink the trailer thing because you're looking at spending a lot of money to put on such a substantial carrier. I bought a folding trailer that stored standing up in my side yard (2' x 5') footprint. It held my 1100 Honda VTX or two smaller bikes. It was easy to maneuver at a campsite. I also set it up so the bike could be loaded on it when not attached to the coach.

Just some thoughts......you're getting into some engineering issues with the size you want to carry.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

ScubaJim
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Scott,

Loading and off loading is a breeze and I notice no difference in the handling of the RV with the HydraLift on the back. Would love to take a ride over to visit you when the weather here in AZ warms up a bit.

Cheers,

Jim

FIRE UP wrote:
Jim,
You're most certainly welcome. Glad you got things done and installed. By the way, if and when you get a chance, PM me with things like, how your coach did with the extra weight on the back, how it handled, steered etc. And, how well you're loading and off loading the bike etc. I'd be interested.
Scott
Jim, Judy and cat Buddy
2003 Discovery 39 C

hd_road_king
Explorer
Explorer
Overbuilt.com this is the one I have I bought it used and you can flat tow with it also

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Jim,
You're most certainly welcome. Glad you got things done and installed. By the way, if and when you get a chance, PM me with things like, how your coach did with the extra weight on the back, how it handled, steered etc. And, how well you're loading and off loading the bike etc. I'd be interested.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

ScubaJim
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Scott,

Many thanks for your post. I purchased the HydraLift and had it installed at Eagle's Pride in Titusville, FL. They did a great job at a very reasonable price. It was worth the drive there to get it done by a competent dealer. We are spending the winter in Black Canyon City AZ.

Cheers,

Jim

FIRE UP wrote:
ScubaJim wrote:
Read the posts and love the feedback. Have a Honda Goldwing 1800 and also tow a car so am interested in getting a Hydralift installed since a trailer is not practical. Anyone know of any preventative measure to avoid the bike getting all scratched up. Any help would be appreciated.

ScubaJim,
Your 39' coach will have no issues when utilizing a Hydralift for the Wing. As you see in the pics, I did it with a 36' Itasca Horizon. I'm also going to assume you have a CAT in that Discovery until you say otherwise. The primary concern you need to take is, mounting height of the lift itself, on the coach.

The Hydralift is by far, the most superior lift/carrier on the market, without a doubt. But, it's also the costliest. They normally run around $4,500.00 plus or minus, BEFORE tax, shipping and installation. Installation can be anywhere in price. I did mine. I've got a ton of pictures of various stages of the install, if you'd like to see them, PM me and, I'd be glad to share and explain.

The primary concern with mounting the Hydralift is, it needs to be as low mounted as possible but, still allow for good ground clearance when angle of departure is acute. You don't want to scrape that Wing off the back of that coach, that's for sure.

But, when that Hydralift is mounted as low as possible, it allows for the LEAST angle of the lift arms, in relation to the floor of the lift. You see, as you well know, the GL 1800 is WIDE at low points, i.e. the front crash bars and the valve covers. So, the lower the lift is mounted, the less of an angle the lift arms are when lift is at bottom for loading/off loading the Wing.

Obviously, the higher the lift is mounted, the more acute the lift arms are when the lift is in the loading/off loading position and, that means the Wings front crash bars and valve covers are in severe danger of colliding with those lift arms, while you're trying to ride it onto the lift.

Anyway, I'd be glad to help you with questions on the lift, mounting, additional support sub-structure specifically for the Wing tie-down points (front fork) and more. PM me if you'd like to know more. By the way, to answer your original question about not scratching the Wing up either while loading/off loading or, while it's on the lift, You won't. I explained in another thread, the use of an "Ultra-gard" travel cover for it I ordered from Wingstuff.

It fits like a glove. It's about the same density of a Mummy Sleeping bag. It's thick and does not flap around like cheesy bike covers you use in your garage. But, one thing. It's a pain in the a$$ to cinch down, with all the buckles on it, while the bike is on the lift. And, it still allows for some dust and debris to collect in and on, various parts/components of the bike. So, I just write off the fact that it's going to get DIRTY, PERIOD! I take care of that dirt at the next campsite.
Scott

Jim, Judy and cat Buddy
2003 Discovery 39 C

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
These lifts are OK for DPs...but for gassers? I'd really be cautious. MY situation, (owning a 750 pound H-D dresser) using a math formula, I found that the bike, lift, and elevating all of it up about 3 feet....I was about 300 pounds from my max rear axle max weight. Fine. BUT....I found I would LOSE 700 pounds off the front-end. Nope. No way.

Getting a trailer for my gasser was the only sensible thing for me.

My experience, my OPINION, my 2 cents (well...maybe 3)

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Hydralift carrier on my 2015 Tuscany 45 at. Works well made some brackets with 1/2 steel that bolted under the hitch using longer bolts that held hitch in place to the frame. Put the pump in rear side compartment. Simple install
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
ScubaJim wrote:
Read the posts and love the feedback. Have a Honda Goldwing 1800 and also tow a car so am interested in getting a Hydralift installed since a trailer is not practical. Anyone know of any preventative measure to avoid the bike getting all scratched up. Any help would be appreciated.

ScubaJim,
Your 39' coach will have no issues when utilizing a Hydralift for the Wing. As you see in the pics, I did it with a 36' Itasca Horizon. I'm also going to assume you have a CAT in that Discovery until you say otherwise. The primary concern you need to take is, mounting height of the lift itself, on the coach.

The Hydralift is by far, the most superior lift/carrier on the market, without a doubt. But, it's also the costliest. They normally run around $4,500.00 plus or minus, BEFORE tax, shipping and installation. Installation can be anywhere in price. I did mine. I've got a ton of pictures of various stages of the install, if you'd like to see them, PM me and, I'd be glad to share and explain.

The primary concern with mounting the Hydralift is, it needs to be as low mounted as possible but, still allow for good ground clearance when angle of departure is acute. You don't want to scrape that Wing off the back of that coach, that's for sure.

But, when that Hydralift is mounted as low as possible, it allows for the LEAST angle of the lift arms, in relation to the floor of the lift. You see, as you well know, the GL 1800 is WIDE at low points, i.e. the front crash bars and the valve covers. So, the lower the lift is mounted, the less of an angle the lift arms are when lift is at bottom for loading/off loading the Wing.

Obviously, the higher the lift is mounted, the more acute the lift arms are when the lift is in the loading/off loading position and, that means the Wings front crash bars and valve covers are in severe danger of colliding with those lift arms, while you're trying to ride it onto the lift.

Anyway, I'd be glad to help you with questions on the lift, mounting, additional support sub-structure specifically for the Wing tie-down points (front fork) and more. PM me if you'd like to know more. By the way, to answer your original question about not scratching the Wing up either while loading/off loading or, while it's on the lift, You won't. I explained in another thread, the use of an "Ultra-gard" travel cover for it I ordered from Wingstuff.

It fits like a glove. It's about the same density of a Mummy Sleeping bag. It's thick and does not flap around like cheesy bike covers you use in your garage. But, one thing. It's a pain in the a$$ to cinch down, with all the buckles on it, while the bike is on the lift. And, it still allows for some dust and debris to collect in and on, various parts/components of the bike. So, I just write off the fact that it's going to get DIRTY, PERIOD! I take care of that dirt at the next campsite.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an idea, a tandem tow dolly;

2016 F350