cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorhome Entry Steps

becker
Explorer
Explorer
The entry steps on my motorhome have suddenly froze up..... they won't come out or attempt to move one way or the other..... they are very solidly in the "in" position. I get the feeling they are for some reason "just locked up".

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get a "schematic" on these steps? It seems most of these steps operate about the same.

Any help will be appreciated.
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System
24 REPLIES 24

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I think that for a 2008 RV that the motor will have a phenolic housing over the motor gears. I don't know anyone that has identified those motors as being window lift motors or at least not for a Ford. They may be available from Amazon but none of you have given a specific part number. How about an little real help here.

APOLOGY; Some of the step motors listed on Amazon are Ford specific.

COMMENT: I suggested and feel it is fair to ask the OP to state what brand of steps, mfg and any part number on the motor. Also is the gearing on the motor in an aluminum or phenolic casting. Who really manufactured the steps. More later I'm being called by she who must be obeyed. (Edit) All this information would have helped. I believe in 2006 that Kwikee changed from Ford type lift motors and went to AM Industries step motors, they were very helpful at AM Ind. Then Kwikee sold to US Power Gear and they sold to Lippert. I would bet that Lippert is still using the AM Ind motors. Perhaps Chris Bryant will step in if he knows.

My point is if you bought a motor from Amazon, which one for what set of steps manufactured in what year. Maybe yours are the same as the OP.

By the way, the 888 manual is still the manual for the Ser. 32 steps and others.

In answer to at least one question here, I wouldn't even attempt to order one of these, based on just a part number given. I in fact carefully matched it up by laying the old one on the floor next to my computer and studying it's every detail. Found there was more than one manufacture of this same motor ass'y as well, so it then came down to price and the reviews.
Here' the one I went with for a single step Kwikee model step and it seems that one person ordered one of the same for his 1994 Ford Thunderbird power window....
Motor

That is the same window lift motor that my steps use. I bought mine from Autozone and spent a little more than I think you did but my motor wasn't for a Thunderbird the one I bought was for a Ford F150 and it is also advertised for Ford F350's. The part number could have aided in finding the correct motor. I happened to look through a local parts store's catalogue and doing what you did compare what I had to a lot of lift motors.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Well as someone said it could be several things that caused the problem.

I have had the problem twice. KIWI steps.

1. 4 prong flat connector checked good with meter and steps worked OK for several operations after testing. Failed again, cleaned all connections in the cable found it had 12V but would not let enough current through to operate the steps. Plug was contaminated and corroded just enough to act as a resistor cleaning fixed it.

2. Steps refused to extend found a thread on this site with a video on replacing the motor turned out to be a Ford window lift motor I think 96 Thunderbird. Took old motor to Auto Zone and matched it up to a Dorman motor but don't remember the part number you have to get the correct motor by comparing the left and right side motor. Only one will work. Replacing fixed the steps $45.

They are not hard to repair (depending on your age) main thing is be careful if the steps do start to move they are very powerful so don't be in the way.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Same thing happened on my previous MH, a 99 DSDP.
Turned out the gear had broken, everything else worked but since the gear jammed nothing moved.
I had to order the whole mechanical kit (included the controller motor), came to well over $100 if I remember. PPL parts was very helpful in getting the right parts that I could swap out.It only took about twenty minutes to put the new part in.

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I just squirt some oil, or spray some lithium here and there on the steps moving mechanism and I'm done for another two years. Steps are 21 years old with no signs of giving up. There was that one time I chose to take apart the gearbox and refresh the grease.

But, too each his own I guess.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
On our Dynasty, I got tired of 'lubing' the steps with a dry grease.

So, I would use the water hose to wash off all the ball bearings, spray liberally with Simple Green, use an old tooth brush to clean the bearings, hose off again, move the steps in and out while hosing off for a good rinse. That worked like a charm.

MM.

PS. I'm so glad that we don't have steps or slide toppers on the new coach.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
Also.... check for corroded ground connection to the steps... I had at least 2 grounds on mine... when I cleaned them up, steps improved........
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I think that for a 2008 RV that the motor will have a phenolic housing over the motor gears. I don't know anyone that has identified those motors as being window lift motors or at least not for a Ford. They may be available from Amazon but none of you have given a specific part number. How about an little real help here.

COMMENT: I suggested and feel it is fair to ask the OP to state what brand of steps, mfg and any part number on the motor. Also is the gearing on the motor in an aluminum or phenolic casting. Who really manufactured the steps. More later I'm being called by she who must be obeyed. (Edit) All this information would have helped. I believe in 2006 that Kwikee changed from Ford type lift motors and went to AM Industries step motors, they were very helpful at AM Ind. Then Kwikee sold to US Power Gear and they sold to Lippert. I would bet that Lippert is still using the AM Ind motors. Perhaps Chris Bryant will step in if he knows.

My point is if you bought a motor from Amazon, which one for what set of steps manufactured in what year. Maybe yours are the same as the OP.

By the way, the 888 manual is still the manual for the Ser. 32 steps and others.

In answer to at least one question here, I wouldn't even attempt to order one of these, based on just a part number given. I in fact carefully matched it up by laying the old one on the floor next to my computer and studying it's every detail. Found there was more than one manufacture of this same motor ass'y as well, so it then came down to price and the reviews.
Here' the one I went with for a single step Kwikee model step and it seems that one person ordered one of the same for his 1994 Ford Thunderbird power window....
Motor
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Celtic_Heart
Explorer
Explorer
Becker,

I had the same issue several times and here's what I did and it solved the problem. Before you start disassembling the motor or the gears try this:

Crawl underneath (behind the steps) and gently tap on the curved arm that extends from the step motor while someone opens and closes the door. Be sure to be behind in case the steps deploy. Once the steps open, thoroughly lubricate every joint and pivot points with Kwik lube spray grease. This product will spray like a liquid and turn to a grease lubricant.

Hope this helps.
Safe travels

Paddy Drumm
Paddy & Sheila
2006 Mandalay, Bath & 1/2
400HP Cummins ISL
Towing a Saturn Vue
Ready Brute

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer

COMMENT: I suggested and feel it is fair to ask the OP to state what brand of steps, mfg and any part number on the motor. Also is the gearing on the motor in an aluminum or phenolic casting. Who really manufactured the steps. More later I'm being called by she who must be obeyed. (Edit) All this information would have helped. I believe in 2006 that Kwikee changed from Ford type lift motors and went to AM Machinery step motors, they were very helpful at AM Nachinery. Then Kwikee sold to US Power Gear and they sold to Lippert. I would bet that Lippert is still using the AM Ind motors. Perhaps Chris Bryant will step in if he knows.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
becker wrote:
The entry steps on my motorhome have suddenly froze up..... they won't come out or attempt to move one way or the other..... they are very solidly in the "in" position. I get the feeling they are for some reason "just locked up".

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get a "schematic" on these steps? It seems most of these steps operate about the same.

Any help will be appreciated.

Same problem here and just got done replacing my Kwikee motor with a power window model from Amazon. Now super smooth and super quiet and even more so than the original.
The procedure is to disconnect the two motor leads, either at it's connectors or if none present inside a little block maybe, then just cut them. Apply 12v with a couple of long leads and this can be from an onboard battery, a spare, or even your car. Reversing the leads will send the step the opposite way, so try both ways and stay out of the way. If it doesn't work, remove the four nuts holding the motor and drive ass'y and drop it down and inboard, so as to see, pull the cotter pin and remove the clevis bolt. Now to the bench for opening the gear drive and making sure it's not broken or jammed. Once free, apply power again and if it still won't run, match it up on Amazon and with a power window motor if possible for a substantial savings.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry..
Quoted wrong person.
See below....

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will not work on occasion. A careful light tap on the motor got mine working. Lack of use
Full timing it since July 2012

becker
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!..... To All: Thanks for all of the information and suggestions. It looks like I've got may work cut out for me.

I will advise what the solution was and how I got to that point.

Thanks again...... and I will be back in touch.
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
I just went through the same problem except mine was stuck in the out position. If you can, tap the step motor with a small hammer. That solved my issue. Who knows.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800