cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorhome Entry Steps

becker
Explorer
Explorer
The entry steps on my motorhome have suddenly froze up..... they won't come out or attempt to move one way or the other..... they are very solidly in the "in" position. I get the feeling they are for some reason "just locked up".

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get a "schematic" on these steps? It seems most of these steps operate about the same.

Any help will be appreciated.
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System
24 REPLIES 24

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would try pulling the step out as the door is opened as it may just be stuck. If you have to take it apart, then like Jim said... make sure the power is off. Seems like the motor is from a Ford window motor... been posted on here.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Becker,

Assuming you have Kwikee Steps and that you have good voltage from both battery systems, go to the search box and type in "Kwikee Steps" .

Search at least a full year. There should more than one link for the #888 manual. Or you can Google, Kwikee Manual #888. I'd give you the link if I was at home but I don't have it in favorites on this computer. You don't have to disconnect your battery, first of all if you do, you can't follow the trouble shooting instructions because they are all for the electrical systems.

Sometimes when the steps are so far closed or open you won't be able to remove the clevis pin on the actuation arm at the step. My suggestion at this point is disconnect the motor leads and remove the ENTIRE motor assembly including the mounting plate. There are only four 1/4-20 nuts to remove and the entire assembly falls out. Then you can test the motor easily at your bench.

The ideas about cleaning and lubing are well founded and I would bet most failures are caused by improper preventative maintenance. I use Kwikee Lube and it works well. I relube on the road if I run into rain or dirt roads, both gum up the lube.

Good luck and let us know it come out.

PS: Check Chris Bryant's web page, he has tons of manuals just for the asking. Also 2008 is about the time US Gear bought Kwikee but if they are labeled Kwikee the give you #888 manual will give you the trouble shooting procedures. If you have a gear housing that is part of the motor, it was made by AM Machinery in Oregon, they have made sales directly to RVers at a really great price.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
First post what make and model steps you have. If they are Kwikee steps if yo go to their web site they give you a step by step instructions on how to check the various components to see which one is bad.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Whoa! The first thing to do is verify your salesman's switches are on. Never crawl under the rig to lube anything without disconnecting the battery. People have ended up in the hospital from a step extending while they are under it. Also read about people losing or almost losing fingers.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

fixn2gocamp
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same thing happen to me recently. Mobile tech diagnosed problem as a bad controller, Replaced both controller and motor, old motor still good, and steps work great. Check Amazon for these parts. Price very good and shipped same day as order.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
becker,
There's a number of issues that plague those steps. As has been stated, a periodic lubing of all the pivot points is warranted to keep things moving as nicely as possible. Another problem of course is the small motor. They have lots of issues. They can freeze up due to corrosion (although it doesn't happen all that often) The brushes can get corroded over and will not have good contact with the commutator ring.

The gear box is also known to cause problems. If the gears in there are worn to a point that a tooth breaks off, it can lodge in between the drive gear and, the driven gear. The link-arm can get seized up in its pivot points too. The connections to the motor, although are fairly sealed up, can on rare occasion, also get corroded.

All of these various issues have caused problems to many folks. If I had to guess, I'd bet right now that your issue is not caused by the pivot points locking up. While it does make things work more smoothly when lubed, to completely lock up a set of steps because of non-lubing for a length of time, is not very likely.

The problem with your situation is, the steps are in the retracted position and, that makes for hard to get to components to be analyzed for correct working operations.

There is either a bent or, straight "link arm" that connects the motor to the gear box in your steps. What you need to do is, do the best you can to disconnect that link arm, while the steps are in that retracted position. Once that's disconnected, the steps will fall, due to gravity. Be prepared for that. But, once they're free from the connection to the motor and gear box, you can pivot them out of the way, so that you can start your analyzing of other components.

And, while you're at it, and, they're disconnected from that link arm, you can see just how free they move or, don't move. Good luck and please report back to what you find. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Check your magnet switch..it could be that the magnet switch is not releasing thus not telling it to release for the steps to go out..one in the door and one in the frame.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Battery voltage proper? Our's would do this in the winter when needing charging.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
First thing to do is to lube everything. A lot of time the unit will fail if if detects too much resistance. When you open and close the door do you hear anything clicking or trying to move?

x2. Use compressed air and whatever it takes to clean all the joints. Then lube well. Use penetrating oil, not WD-40.
If it turns out to be an electrical problem, you'll have the cleaning and lubing done.
Please, let us know the problem when you get the steps working.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
First thing to do is to lube everything. A lot of time the unit will fail if if detects too much resistance. When you open and close the door do you hear anything clicking or trying to move?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT