cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorhome Length Limit?

RMIGHTY1
Explorer
Explorer
Is it true that there is a 32' limit on motorhome length in State Parks, National Parks and the National Forests?
21 REPLIES 21

RMIGHTY1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, thanks for all the great advice. I am not as apprehensive now as I was before about a larger MH. For sure I do not want to go over 40 ft. I am a disabled kind of guy. The Newmar 3911 will accommodate my electric wheelchair but it is just under 40 ft. and it is Ford's Triton V10. Am hoping for a Diesel. Time will tell. This is just a dream for me at this point, but I am a dream follower and know I can make this happen. WooHoo!!!

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
traveylin wrote:
It really is a bell curve answer. While no generic restriction exists, the probably of locating a quality site in the older Nat Park and Nat Forest facilities decreases after you go past 30-35 feet. The parks in the mountains up from Taos are good examples.
A quality site is not only long enough, but also level, useful access, not to close to others, toad space, proximity to facilities. Our preference is the nat forest system and we bought a 31 footer for that purpose

X2. The longer the MH the fewer the number of suitable campgrounds and spaces within campgrounds. We have a 31' MH and that's calling it close at some state parks, such as Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine. For most people, they can make do just fine with a slightly limited selection. We'd prefer to minimize the constraint. YMMV.
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
:B No, a 40 inch motorhome will fit just about anywhere.
I love it Mockturtle! I've been in State Parks and National Parks in the U.S. where they have certain size RV sites that you can't get a mid size or large coaches in. River Island State Park near Parker, AZ. along the River they have signs up saying nothing larger than 29' allowed are you will be ticketed!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 40' motorhome (without a tag axle & no problems) and our first choice is always a public park. Honestly, we have never chosen a park that we couldn't fit. Just do your homework and you'll find "quality" sites. We've found them - without making reservations - in Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Zion, Rocky Mountain among many, many others. We also find gorgeous sites in the national forests. No, you won't fit in any site but you will fit in a lot of them. As stated, pull in late Sunday through Wednesday for plenty of choices. Also remember that when a reservation system says "full" that typically doesn't mean that there aren't sites available that are not on reservations. Have fun!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
When you start getting up into the 40 foot make sure it has a tag axle. Most single axle are limited to 20,000 pounds.

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
It really is a bell curve answer. While no generic restriction exists, the probably of locating a quality site in the older Nat Park and Nat Forest facilities decreases after you go past 30-35 feet. The parks in the mountains up from Taos are good examples.
A quality site is not only long enough, but also level, useful access, not to close to others, toad space, proximity to facilities. Our preference is the nat forest system and we bought a 31 footer for that purpose

RMIGHTY1
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Boy, am I ever glad I asked. I will spread my wings (40 ft. or so) and enjoy life! Thank you all for your input.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
In a previous post about going FT you said " I am trying to stay in a MH under 40 feet and I know somethings has got to give." NO, nothing has to give especially for FT. We stay almost entirely in NP, SP, USFS, and other Public CGs without reservations or problems. The trick with a big rig is not showing up Friday afternoon hoping there will still be sites big enough. Show up Monday morning and even in CGs that say 34' max there will be some sites much bigger.
The biggest and most expensive mistake you can make is not buying more MH than you think you need...ONE TIME. It took me three tries because of posts on here about 36' being the biggest. Did not take long to learn that's not true, even in CA where yes there are old SP with smaller sites.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

mrlightrail
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes the length limitation is NOT due to the site, but access to them. I know of a few parks, that my 30' RV would have a hard time navigating to the site, and backing in. When I see a site limited like that, I generally stop somewhere short of the park, and take my toad in, to scope things out first.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
RMIGHTY1 wrote:
Is it true that there is a 32' limit on motorhome length in State Parks, National Parks and the National Forests?

NO. Many state parks have small campsites while others have sites that will handle a 40ft RV + Toad + Boat. There is no "Rule".

My dad had a 38' Newell + Toad and stayed at a lot of federal parks.

There are some that even a 32ft will not fit.

Call the park before you choose to go there.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
One COE Park we stay at has an RV site with a 88' "driveway". We have parked: a 18' toad, double cab pickup, 25' boat trailer, 13' PWC trailer and 44' MH (with bike rack) on that site end to end. The site is listed as a 40' pad on the Recreation.gov web page. You never know until you check it out. However some other parks have 40' campsites with 30' drives we can't even back into due to inclines. Never hurts to look at the photos if available of the site if given in the online reservation system. I also Google "map" the state or federal campground in Satellite mode to find sites that are hopefully satellite friendly when making reservations if going to a popular destination.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
No there is no such generic limit. Each park may have individual limits based on their roads and campsites. Many California State Parks have limits, but they range from 40 foot down to 26' is the shortest limit I've seen for a park that has RV spaces. And not I don't even remember where that 26' limit was. I bought a 35' DP specifically because I didn't want to be limited from the coastal state parks.

In Washington the national Parks can down to 21 feet.

Olympic National Park Campgrounds

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Executive wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
No there is no such generic limit. Each park may have individual limits based on their roads and campsites. Many California State Parks have limits, but they range from 40 foot down to 26' is the shortest limit I've seen for a park that has RV spaces. And not I don't even remember where that 26' limit was. I bought a 35' DP specifically because I didn't want to be limited from the coastal state parks.

California has the parks with the shortest limits but we've visited many with our 45' coach.

Doheny State Beach park has the 26' limits but it's in the marina and right on the sand. Reservations need to be made at least a year in advance.

Nationally, we've found easy access and large spaces everywhere we've gone. If in doubt, call the campground, the rangers have always been accommodating......Dennis

Many RV spaces in California State Parks were laid out decades ago and most have not been changed since. They were designed when the tear-drop trailer was the main RV in use.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We have found some of the parks have the camping space laid out perpendicular to the narrow access road. I have seen the access roads clear, and the camp spot plenty deep, but have one heck of a time making the turn backing in.