cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorhome Rearview Camera

qieto
Explorer
Explorer
2002 Dutch Star....having trouble with rearview camera...sometimes it works, sometimes not....sometimes shows a ghost before working...sometimes works after being on for 4-5 hours on the road...where should I look first? Camera? and/or Monitor.

Thanks,
Keith
9 REPLIES 9

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced the old B/W camera and monitor with generic ones from Ebay.Just cut the cable and used the old cable.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it a wireless or wired camera system? Just curious.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I have a funny problem with mine, IF I put the rig in reverse it turns on the camera screen automatically as it should but when put in Drive it does not shut down so I have to shut it manually. This just started to happen. It is annoying when driving down the road to hear road noise/static sounds and if I look up see the road rolling behind me. I tried with the switch changed from up to down to see if that changes anything but not. Short circuit maybe.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Mark2005
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem on my 2011 Monaco....rear camera would exhibit strange colors and get very dark before going black altogether...if the weather was cooler rearview worked longer but would eventually go dark ...side cameras would always work so was thought to be the camera ...bought new one from Zone defense and all seems to be fine

vector
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced the old "Videoman" b/w CRT monitor and camera with the Costco unit #507735. The old monitor was installed in the dash and the unsupported weight of the back end was causing the plastic panel to crack. I had to run the new cable down from the dash, underneath the coach, and then back up to the cam between the end cap and the back bedroom wall. That was the most difficult part of the installation. The new unit uses a multiplexer and the power, monitor, and cam wires plug into it. I needed to resize the 6" x 6" hole in the dash as the new monitor was as wide but not as tall as the old one. So far, so good. I get a color picture, better field of vision, and a mic so DW can yell at me when I am backing into a site. If anyone need the old stuff for parts I'd be glad to send it out for shipping costs paid.

2001 GB Pursuit 3512DS
Ford F53 V-10
Banks Powerpack
Trans Command
2002 Honda CR-V AWD

Ed_Manifold
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2002 Phaeton my ADTH camera started giving me trouble with picture rolling and ADTH told me how to adjust the rolling but eventually kept getting worse so I replaced it with a ADTH replacement model for $400.00 but I am still not satisfied and will probably have to replace the system. The camera is a must to me since I am always towing.
Ed & Sharon
2002 Phaeton
2001 Jeep Wrangler Toad

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a Weldex system. When it got warm it would quit working. If I ran with the AC on it was better, but no cigar. I called RV Cams and got a new monitor Weldex and all is good now. Check your ground first.
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
With Rearview systems there is NO WAY to accurately diagnosis an intermittent type problem. All you can do is a best guess. IF you have side view camera's(probably NOT on a 2002 Newmar), when the rear camera goes out you check for side and if you have display you know it is either the camera or the cable. There are no tests other than replacing a part. MOST times it is the Rear camera, since it is exposed to the elements. What brand system? ADTH? You also make sure the camera cable plug in at the rear of the monitor is tight and secure. Sometimes they are loose and cause intermittent display. Doug

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would check wiring first, particularly the connections at the camera and monitor. Intermittent operation usually means a poor connection somewhere (which may mean a cracked solder joint or something similar inside one of the units).