cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mount Rushmore in the Winter

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a trip from the panhandle of Florida north to Mount Rushmore, Custer National Park, Cody, Wyoming, Billings Montana. Will be heading that way through Memphis and Jonesboro, Arkansas. We will be looking to do this at Christmas and New Years. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Mark
23 REPLIES 23

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my Pace Arrow in +10F I went through a tank of LP in 1 1/2 days. The freeways in the North have gates at many spots to keep people off in bad weather. You could spend days waiting for a road to open that time of year. If you are in a car you would at least have a hotel for the duration rather than a MH out of LP with frozen tanks.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
mc.cc wrote:
We went to Durango and Silverton in 2012 during this time. Loved it. Very few people for getting away from it all. How do the slide topper awnings do in the snow and ice? Can you pull the slide in without tearing up the awning?

The slides will not come in if snow and ice are on the toppers - took me hours to clear it off when we got caught in a snow storm in Oregon in January of 2014 - to top it off the state park's water system froze and we did not have water for a couple of days. And to make matters worse I almost ran out of propane as it was too cold for my heat pumps to work as were snowed in and could not get out
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go as long as you don't have a schedule you must meet. Travel when the weather and roads are clear. Your Bounder should keep you warm, just ensure you have plenty of fuel for that heat (diesel or propane). Most important is that you will need to call ahead and find out if any campgrounds are open and even if they are, will they have any water available. I would suggest that your towed should be one you are comfortable with driving in the snow (4x4 my suggestion) or you could easily get stranded in your RV/RV park without much to do. You should also check with the various places you plan to visit. Is there anything to see at that time of year? Are the roads accessible? Are the walkways cleared? What are the average temps and snow fall during those periods?
Having given you all the reasons to go, I would not go during that time of year as I believe you would be highly limited by the weather as to what you could actually see and do.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Durango and Silverton in 2012 during this time. Loved it. Very few people for getting away from it all. How do the slide topper awnings do in the snow and ice? Can you pull the slide in without tearing up the awning?
Mark

Swell1
Explorer
Explorer
I would rethink this trip. NOTHING will be open up here. Its not uncommon for the temperature to go -20 and stay there for a week or 2. All campgrounds are close down and there waterlines drained. the national parks I've been to are only open for day use usually for snowmobilers.
2017 SportTrek 271 VRB
2016 F150 Eco boost with max tow package

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
my feelings also, stay home. that area has lots of snow and it is not for someone from Florida. I'd stay home and come back up in the spring or summer.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
My recommendation? Don't do it.

Have you ever camped in subzero weather? Not much fun.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you take your tire chains and snow shovels. Also some of the interstates can be closed for hours or days in those areas depending on the weather. Most RV parks in those areas will be closed that time of year.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
mc.cc wrote:
Considering a trip from the panhandle of Florida north to Mount Rushmore, Custer National Park, Cody, Wyoming, Billings Montana. Will be heading that way through Memphis and Jonesboro, Arkansas. We will be looking to do this at Christmas and New Years. Any suggestions or recommendations?

What kind of trip? In your MH? If so, better be able to handle the heavy snow. Chains might be wise.