cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mounting a Bicycle on Class A ?

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
I have a REXHALL Class A ... and I tow a car.... SO ... I cannot use the trailer hitch method.

I have been mounting an AUTOMOTIVE - Strap on rack on my ladder .. but it really is not a good method, so I am looking for another way.

I would like some ideas from others that may have tackled this project.

Thanks

Richard / S. Carolina
2000 - 36' REXHALL Rose Air
2004 CRV
11 REPLIES 11

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a toad that will not accept a rear hitch. We had a local welder build a receiver for the front of the coach. It has bolts so it can be removed if needed. It works great. The bicycles travel safely on the front of the coach.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
WA8 ... What I meant was , I cannot use the receiver INSERT , that is commonly made for bikes.
They are not made ( that I have seen ) to allow a PASS-THRU opening at the rear, for another town bar to be inserted.

I guess I also question how safe it is to combine multiple pieces , where towing a car is involved.

Thank you for the input ................... Richard

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Richard_999 wrote:
I have a REXHALL Class A ... and I tow a car.... SO ... I cannot use the trailer hitch method.

Says WHO? That is exactly how I do it.

Now.. In my case I have a Damon Intruder it has a very HIGH hitch receiver so I need a 4" drop hitch adapter for my very LOW car.

Blue Ox custom modified it for me by welding on a "Tong" for a ball hitch, the bicycle carrier mounts to that (it was a ball hitch mount type anyway)

You can get a dual receiver (Either drop and rise or straight through and drop-0r-rise) use the top one for the Bicycle

Alas I can not find the one that slips over the 2" square hitch adapter and locks to it, I know they make 'me cause I've seen 'em
But the dual hitch adapter is your best choice.. Or a carrier on the car.. that works too.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry 2 and sometimes 3 bikes on trips. I remove the front wheels on 2 bikes and insert them into one of the pass trus storage bays, one on the left side and one on the right. If I carry a third bike for my GS I remove the front tire and put it in the trunk of the tow car. This way they stay out of the rain. I don't like the idea of hanging several bikes off of a ladder and hitting pot holes on the roads in the NE, that puts a lot of stress on the attach points of the ladder. Also on older MH's those attach points rust out and become weak, I have replaced several on mine.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Agree, on the toad. We bolted a hitch receiver to our 2011 CRV, a 1 hour install.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
The benefit of having them on the toad, is for having them when roaming around.
For example, we once went exploring on some barrier islands that had a bike path for it's whole length and beach parking lots every so often, so easy to do some biking, whether planned or not. Going to visit friends for biking and again, you're already equipped. We use a hitch haul with some mods for carrying more bikes if necessary and can still carry two, if the hitch haul is needed for something else.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who have responded.
I do especially like the idea of the Ladder-Mount bike rack.

Richard

Rog___Nan
Explorer
Explorer
When we were traveling a lot we had three methods. Bike rack on back of toad, bike rack on our ladder. We found the third option the best. It is to put the bikes in side the toad. They never got dirty or wet in bad weather and they don’t beat up the car on bad roads. It did require removing seats, one front wheel and a pedal. We got pretty good at getting them in and out with no problems. We had a bike stolen from toad rack at a marina, so having them inside made sense for us.
Rog & Nan
'96 Cruise Master
32' no slide (love it)
'2010 Vue Saturn Toad
Roadmaster Tow & Brake
Banks Power

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
1. Ladder hooks for bikes.
2. Drop hitch receiver with a second receiver to the big bike carrier.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
put it on the toad.

I agree this is probably the best method and it's what I have done.

That said, you could also get a dual receiver to mount into the receiver on your motorhome so your toad could be hitched to the lower one and your bike rack put on the top one. You'd have to do some careful measurements to be sure that your bikes are not going to interfere with the toad in tight corners.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
put it on the toad.