cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
I have been camping in my 1990 Chevrolet Silverado Blazer 2-door for the last 20 years. When I removed the back seat there was just enough room for a 3/4 sized (Hollywood, as some people called them) mattress to fit between the wheel wells and from the back of the console to the tailgate.

After all those years with my wife and I getting older, she decided we needed a little more room so she found me a 2001 Chevrolet Express van with low mileage on the internet. After checking it out and taking it for a test drive we bought it on the spot. It was a nice passenger conversion LT model with all the bells and whistles available in 2001. I will chronicle the changes I made to transform it into my Class B- motorhome in the next few postings. I call it my Class B- (B minus) motorhome because it is just a regular van without the raised roof.

Camping at Custer State Park, SD in February, 2015.

Camping and visiting Scott's Bluff National Monument, NE in October, 2014.
343 REPLIES 343

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
The Black Hills Corvette Classic rally actually started today in Beresford, SD at Jerry’s Chevrolet dealership with registration and a noon lunch. Then everyone meets at the fairgrounds in Sioux Falls, SD for a car show and other activities like the Quick 60. Thursday morning they all meet (about 200-300 Corvettes) to leave as a caravan on I-90 (with 80 mph speed limits) to head for the main part of the rally in Spearfish, SD. I will join them along I-90 at the Plankinton, SD exit. It goes on for the next couple of days with touring of the Black Hills, autocross and drag strip activities, a poker run, seminars, and another big car show on Spearfish Main St on Friday night. Some go on tours to Mt. Rushmore, Devil’s Tower, Badlands National Park, Custer State Park and Wildlife Loop, the Needles Hiway, and Iron Mountain Road with its three one lane tunnels that you can see Mt. Rushmore through them and its wooden pigtail bridges and lots of curves which Corvette drivers like. Some even spend time in Deadwood, SD, our big gambling town. A big catered supper and entertainment show with several diamond drawings end it on Saturday night. This is the longest running Corvette event in the nation, going on 51 years, even longer than the well known Corvettes at Carlisle, PA. When I get back Sunday it will be time to get the camper van ready to go again.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Black95 wrote:
I noticed the other day that Walmart has a collapsible version of corn hole similar to the one I purchased on Amazon. They also have one with LED lights so you can play it in the dark.

Thanks, I will check Walmart when I go next time or check online.
When is you Corvett rally? sounds like fun.
J herb

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed the other day that Walmart has a collapsible version of corn hole similar to the one I purchased on Amazon. They also have one with LED lights so you can play it in the dark.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,
don't have to keep my van heated as it normally gets down to the 30s
or one time in 1990 it got down to -6, in a normal year we run in the 30s and 40s. Like you we get in the 50 and 60s and then we go camping
if we can.
The summers here in western Oregon gets to many people camping (lots
of tourist) and you need reservations to get in most campgrounds, unless you boondock on USFS and BLM land. In southwest Oregon the summer temperatures are too hot July and Aug. 90 + even at 6,000 ft,
(last year we got to 115) plus the mosquitos are bad until mid Sept.

The Corvette Rally sounds like a lot of fun and a nice trip too, you
will have such a fun summer that you won't know where it went.

Iam already setting up trips for fall season in to the hi country of the Cascades.
J herb

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
J herb wrote:
……….Do you have any camping plans for the summer? we won't go camping until mid Sept. and then we can go anytime in the Fall into late Spring.

I keep my camper van in a heated storage shed so I can keep it packed and ready to go camping at a moments notice any time of year. It gets down to -10 or -20 sometimes in winter, hence the heated storage shed. It occasionally get up to 60 degrees F in the Black Hills Custer State Park, so we can run out to the Hills for a couple of days during the winter. During the summer I carry my window air conditioner so we can camp during the hot days too. We are planning on a quick day trip to one of our state parks as a come down day after hosting my youngest son’s family for a week. Old Grand Dad has to keep two teenage grand daughters busy with Story Book Land, the water park, go carts, disc golf, mini-golf and, new this year, my collapsible corn hole game. Next week I have to clean and wax my C6 Corvette for our trip to Spearfish, SD for the Black Hills Corvette Classic Rally. We join the caravan of about 400 Corvettes on I-90 at Plankinton, SD for the rest of the run to Spearfish. With a speed limit of 80 mph it is fun to open it up. After we get back from that we will get back to short camping trips around the state. Busy summer and it seems to go by so fast.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
HI Mike,
nice to see you posting, and that cornhole game looks like the way to go when you need to keep it small. My wife has been wanting one so we will take a look at it.

I added a cargo carrier, and I made a swing out bracket so I can get into the back doors without unloading it, will post pictures soon.

Do you have any camping plans for the summer? we won't go camping until
mid Sept. and then we can go anytime in the Fall into late Spring.
J herb

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
We are always looking for games to play while camping. I have admired all of the different cornhole game boards that I have seen while camping but knew that I could not carry something that big around in my van camper. My wife came across this one from GoSports that is a collapsible version. It disassembles into the space of the small carrying bag that I can find room for in my van's back storage area.

We tried it out in our yard when my youngest son and his family from KY visited us in June. My grand daughters loved it and even got my youngest 4 year old grand daughter to play when they moved the "boards" closer together. I will be carrying this in my van on all future trips because my wife likes to play too.

drsolo
Explorer
Explorer
Black95 wrote:
Recently we purchased an electric scooter. It has proven to be very handy around the campground. We can zip to the comfort station quickly with it. We are looking forward to finding other uses for it.
The handle folds down easily so we carry it strapped to our rear mounted ladder. /quote]

I never had a bicycle when young and I fall off em. So I got a folding 3 wheeled electric mobility scooter 2 years ago so I could hit the bike trails with my husband who has an electric assist bicycle. At 75 I worry about thinning bones and concussions so I wear a helmet altho I am close to the ground on my scooter. The scooter is too slow and limited range so I just got a folding electric assist recumbent trike. The scooter needs to stay on paved surfaces but the recumbent does OK on dry grass and packed dirt. We carry them inside the RVan because of the electrics. I also use my scooter for shopping both at home and at our campground.

scooter open and closed
me on my trike
Click For Full-Size Image. /quote]
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
HI Mike,
It's great that you can stay up on the scooter! I have never tried one.

We are going camping this Tuesday up near Crater Lake NP. the van is almost packed and ready to go. We sold our trailer last week, so the van is our home on wheels now. Jay
J herb

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
It is time for another update, although this is not a modification to our van camper. Recently we purchased an electric scooter. It has proven to be very handy around the campground. We can zip to the comfort station quickly with it. We are looking forward to finding other uses for it.

For a couple in our 70's we balance quite well on it and it appears these old dogs can learn new tricks. We do keep it in its ECO mode which keeps us down to 10 mph or slower which is fast enough for us. Last fall I tried my grand daughters' hoverboards and did not do well on them but the scooter has a handle and is so much easier to balance on.

The handle folds down easily so we carry it strapped to our rear mounted ladder. I forgot to get pictures of it in transport mode this last trip, so will post a picture of it the next time we go camping.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
^^

Those are really neat -I've got a hiking stick/monopod with a strap just like those - only not handmade. Just got a mount for my phone for Christmas which I use to take panoramic videos...

Great job!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on heading out again for our 2nd camping trip of the year. We are going to a local campground at Richmond Lake Recreation Area. Another equipment testing camp night. We love to hike when we camp and, being a woodworker, l like to make my own things if possible. One of the things i have made for myself and most members of our family is a walking or hiking stick. I make mine out of walnut most of the time, although I have made them out of oak and bamboo. I usually put a 1/4" threaded stud on top to act as a camera monopod, then I put a threaded adapter into a wood ball to top it off. On the bottom I usually add a pointed end with a rubber removable cover on it. I get these from websites that cater to walking stick DIY'ers. When we visit different national parks I am always on the lookout for medallions to add to my stick. A few times when I could not find any, the place may have a penny press machine that turns your penny into a souvenir that I can drill small holes in and attach to my walking stick. My wife likes to keep her stick lighter so she chooses not to adorn hers. Over the many years I have been collecting hiking medallions I have filled up two hiking sticks and am now working on my third, which will probably be my last as I am in my late 70's.. I also add a hand strap on the top of each stick sort of like they use on ski poles. We give our hiking sticks a workout on every camping trip.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
HI Mike,
good to see you posting again and I know that you have moved and that is a lot of work. We have lived in this house for almost 42 years and I
have started to get rid of things too.
It was nice to take your wife out for Mother's Day camping.

I got a high top put on my van and just getting the rebuild about done,
love that we can stand up in it and the extra storage that we got with it.
Go over and check out my postings from yesterday to see the pictures
of the new top and rebuild.

Hope that you get to do some more camping this spring. Jay
J herb

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
This is my first camping trip since about 9 months ago in August of 2021. Went camping over Mothers Day at Oahe Campground #1 is our favorite site #42. It was a beautiful weekend. We have not been camping since last August because we decided to downsize from our four bedroom house with 2 1/2 baths, a sauna, and a four car heated garage to a smaller house in the big city of Aberdeen, SD which is a 2 bedroom with 2 baths and a single car garage. It involved a lot of rummage sales and online selling to get rid of much that we had accumulated in 40 years in the same place. We decided to retire to a larger city and downsize a lot of our possessions to save the kids some headache when we get too old to care for it all. We do love it living in a larger city instead of the smaller town of about 350 that we had lived in almost all of our lives. It helped that a found a heated storage shed for my camper van, Corvette, and wood shop tools. About the only upgrade I have made to my DIY camper van was an improvement to the overhead water storage system. I used 6" PVC tubing for the tank and had it connected to an air compressor quick disconnect line to the water valve located on the side of my van. I changed it to a garden hose quick disconnect which allows a lot more water to flow through the tubing. I did have to add a shut off valve to it as the garden hose quick connect does not shut off the flow when disconnected like the air compressor disconnect did. Everything works better now. The water tap is connected to one of those magnetic tool trays for easy access. I did not get a chance to open my new awning from NAPA as the weather was a little too breezy. Maybe next trip I will post a picture of it in use.

drsolo
Explorer
Explorer
Black'95 wrote:

... now that we have been retired we decided it was time to downsize and rid ourselves of 40 years of accumulated "stuff."
,,,,storage space big enough to put the Corvette and the camper conversion van in for the winter.
... upgrade the conversion van camper with an Maxi-Trac 8 foot awning from NAPA.

When DH retired from teaching in spring 2018 we did a whole house clean out, round 1. It is VERY liberating altho I had to watch several episodes of "Hoarders" to prime myself to really get into selling, giving, Goodwill and just throwing away.

We got an awning on our TT which is such a pain with the wind down here in FL that we just stick big umbrellas in metal tubes we pounded into the ground.

I would LOVE to see a CCvan pulling a Corvette. The most outrageous thing I saw was a big MH with a motorcycle mounted on the back and ON the motorcycle was a skeleton. I got one lousy shot thru a dirty windscreen but I hope you can see the outline of the white skeleton. The MH was also pulling a white SUV?
Click For Full-Size Image.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion