cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Engine replacement odyssey - 1994 HR

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
My engine replacement odyssey has begun. I posted questions about the 460 V8 in my 1994 Holiday Rambler some time back and after much engine diagnosis and finally laboratory analysis of my crankcase oil Iโ€™ve determined that I need a new engine (Engine replacement 1992-1995 Holiday Rambler Vacationer).

Since folks online asked if I would keep them posted on my progress (several are interested in doing an engine replacement themselves) Iโ€™ve decided to start this thread. Iโ€™ll try to photo-document the hi-lights.

My first problem was finding a place to do the work. Fortunately, I have a friend who has a place in San Marcos TX with a large paved area. Heโ€™s kindly let me set up there. The 160 mile trip in my RV from Houston to San Marcos with an engine I now know is on the verge of failure was tense to say the least but the old gurl had at least one last trip left in her and Iโ€™m happy to say Iโ€™m now set up in San Marcos (Iโ€™m certain the 50 weight oil I put in the engine helped). Today Iโ€™ll be ordering a rebuilt long block engine assembly from Oโ€™Reilly Auto Parts (thank you enblethen) and while I await the 5-10 days for delivery Iโ€™ll begin the old engine removal. Itโ€™s getting frighteningly close to the arrival of hell (aka summertime) here in the Texas hill country so Iโ€™ll probably have to limit my work time to mornings.

In my 67 years Iโ€™ve done about a dozen engine replacements, however having to install from the front looks like itโ€™ll present a whole new level of mechanical misery.

Steve
154 REPLIES 154

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Geocritter wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Thank you very much for posting your project. Now I know my engine will come out the front when I do my engine swap this year.

Safe and happy travels
Richard

Dang Richard, now I realize I didn't take any photos of how I arranged the engine lift. To summarize, I removed the intake manifold and bolted a tight chain from one head to the other across the middle. I didn't use the hook on the beam but rather attached the chain directly to the beam where the hook would normally be. That way I gave it as much lift clearance as possible and could still tilt the engine front and rear to clear the lower front frame member with the oil pan. But yep, it'll come out the front. Also tried to put the RV at a height where the crane beam was as level as possible when the engine was lifted as high as it would go.

PM me if what I've written here isn't clear.

Steve

PS Now that I'm done I don't envy the task you have in front of you.

Thanks Steve,

In one of your pictures I could see the crane beam was very close to the valley and you used a second chain for the front of the engine. So yes, I picked up on what you did. Clever.
Being an old gear head, I don't fear the up coming event. I have my concrete RV pad next to my garage and will be under no time constraints. The cherry picker, engine stand and transmission jack are in the garage waiting. Just got a call from my engine builder and my 8.6L BBF short block will be shipping on 6/23/15.

Safe travels
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

bumpus4
Explorer
Explorer
Great Job posting. Good luck on your road trips. I am happy for you the engine exchange turned out the way it did.

Bumpus4 (rockhound 101)

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations!!! Now you can go relax a little like you were planning on before all this started.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Geocritter wrote:
...So far it hasn't rained much here in San Marcos this time.

That's good news. Sounds like the Gulf coast and not Hill country is getting hit this time around. Crazy weather.

Congrat's on a job well done. Many on the forum talk poorly about the 460, transmission, and 16 inch tires (vs V10,) but my '96 just kept ticking off the miles year after year.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
You forgot one thing...you better put a propeller on the back of that rig with all the rain you guys are getting!!!

Thanks for the thread, it was fun reading.

I don't need a propeller, the rain's no longer a problem. When the bad weather looked as if it was headed my way I turned the key and moved to higher ground. I wasn't going to test my luck for a third time! So far it hasn't rained much here in San Marcos this time.

Steve

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
You forgot one thing...you better put a propeller on the back of that rig with all the rain you guys are getting!!!

Thanks for the thread, it was fun reading.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Thank you very much for posting your project. Now I know my engine will come out the front when I do my engine swap this year.

Safe and happy travels
Richard

Dang Richard, now I realize I didn't take any photos of how I arranged the engine lift. To summarize, I removed the intake manifold and bolted a tight chain from one head to the other across the middle. I didn't use the hook on the beam but rather attached the chain directly to the beam where the hook would normally be. That way I gave it as much lift clearance as possible and could still tilt the engine front and rear to clear the lower front frame member with the oil pan. But yep, it'll come out the front. Also tried to put the RV at a height where the crane beam was as level as possible when the engine was lifted as high as it would go.

PM me if what I've written here isn't clear.

Steve

PS Now that I'm done I don't envy the task you have in front of you.

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
jhilley wrote:
Congratulations, let us know how it compares to the old engine on the road.

I'm interested in that question myself. As tired, abused and neglected as the old engine was when I got it I was always pleased with its performance on the road. It'll be interesting to see the difference between it and the new engine.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work. Enjoy it - it should serve you well for a long time now.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

outofplace
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations man thats a tough job and you conquered it with flying colors AWESOME Job
Paul
2016 Outlaw 38RE

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Steve, isn't it great when a plan comes together? Enjoy and be safe.
Wildmanbaker

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love it! Congratulations
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

Safe and happy travels
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and kudos for some serious skills!

Best,
- bob