cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MACERATOR PUMP NOT WORKING ... AGAIN!!!!

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
VEHICLE: 2012 Winnebago ERA with a macerator pump to drain the waste water tanks.

I had a problem a year or so ago where the pump was apparently blocked with waste material and keep blowing a fuse every time I tired to use it. Took to dealer ... fixed to the tune of $150.00.

Since that time I no longer use the black water tank ... only the gray tank. Had no problem earlier this year emptying it ... worked fine. Today nothing. Pump does not turn on. Fuse is fine.

I'm guessing maybe the waste pump switch???

QUESTION: Has anyone converted their macerator system to a gravity system on a Class B? In my view the macerator pump is a nuisance and just something else to go wrong ... too many times to suit me.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Karsty (The Wandering Viking)

2012 Winnebago ERA
23 REPLIES 23

mr_big-a
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, is there a chance that Winnebago would admit that they screwed up and
could install a access door on the side of the R V next to the gray water tank and install a drain hose hook-up directly on to the tank near bottom ?

I have no problem draining the black water sewer from the toilet and then hook up a flush hose in the bathroom to wash out the tank.

Or, a drain pipe w/valve from the tank to the rear bumper area??????
Jerry

gonetothedogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Pete -- I will definitely look into this for my SS Agile. Barb

PeteCo
Explorer
Explorer
gonetothedogs1 wrote:
Karsty: I feel your pain. I have replaced the macerator pump twice in my 2007 RT. I checked with RT after the second pump died to see if there was a way to modify my van to a gravity feed dump system. RT said they didn't have any way to do that, but suggested I check with local RV repair folks to see if they could come up with something. So far, this 3rd pump has continued to work, but I always am waiting for another failure, each time I use the macerator. Haven't found a solution to convert to gravity yet. Barb
PS: Had autopsies on both macerators that failed-- no obvious problem was ever found.

This site shows pictures of the Roadtrek 4-way wye and a waste hose attachment system that Ron made. RT started installing the 4-way wye in 2007 I think. I bought one of these 4-way wyes and modified it so I can attach a standard RV sewer hose if I need to dump the tanks if the macerator fails. I will install it when my macerator fails.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/roadtrek/conversations/messages/95157

Pete
2006 Roadtrek 210P
Gspeed

gonetothedogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Karsty: I feel your pain. I have replaced the macerator pump twice in my 2007 RT. I checked with RT after the second pump died to see if there was a way to modify my van to a gravity feed dump system. RT said they didn't have any way to do that, but suggested I check with local RV repair folks to see if they could come up with something. So far, this 3rd pump has continued to work, but I always am waiting for another failure, each time I use the macerator. Haven't found a solution to convert to gravity yet. Barb
PS: Had autopsies on both macerators that failed-- no obvious problem was ever found.

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
PeteCo wrote:
See if there is a way to modify the plumbing so you can also have a way to attach a drain hose if the macerator fails. I have made a new 4-way wye fitting for my 2006 Roadtrek that I will install when the macerator goes out. The newer Roadtreks have a 4-way wye so you can drain the tanks in an emergency.

Also, I have used screens in the shower drain and bathroom sink to minimize the amount of hair entering the gray water tank. Walmart has a 2-pack with different sizes of stainless screens that fit the drains perfectly, though yours may be different. So far so good in the 3-1/2 years I have had the Roadtrek.

I have seen that before and will want to do something similar. Thanks

2012 Winnebago ERA

PeteCo
Explorer
Explorer
See if there is a way to modify the plumbing so you can also have a way to attach a drain hose if the macerator fails. I have made a new 4-way wye fitting for my 2006 Roadtrek that I will install when the macerator goes out. The newer Roadtreks have a 4-way wye so you can drain the tanks in an emergency.

Also, I have used screens in the shower drain and bathroom sink to minimize the amount of hair entering the gray water tank. Walmart has a 2-pack with different sizes of stainless screens that fit the drains perfectly, though yours may be different. So far so good in the 3-1/2 years I have had the Roadtrek.
Gspeed

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know "bob_nestor" ... I am also having a set of ramps made so I can raise my ERA up enough to get under and do some work. I need boards wide enough to carry the dual rear wheels though.

Did you get the pump at the marine place?? I imagine they can be ordered online as well at a lot less price than a RV dealer might charge. My switch which took all of 15 minutes they charged $100. Had the switch down there for $68.00 I believe. I really find that hard to believe.

Thanks again.

2012 Winnebago ERA

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
My RT has a macerator pump. Sounded like a nice feature when I was buying, but now I'm not so sure. Had the impeller got out (it's just plastic) but repairing it required removing the pump. Not a lot of room under the RT but I used the 2x10 trick and was able to manage. The pump almost sounds like it isn't running at all when the impeller goes - you have to listen real close for any noise at all. So I'd assume on other units that use these darned things depending on where they're located it may sound like the pump isn't running at all.

BTW, once you get the pump off replacing the impeller is simple and the repair kit can be found for about $30. I found some marine supply stores that offered much better prices on pumps and parts than most RV sites. Not knowing if I had a pump or impeller problem I bought a replacement pump as well. Figured I only wanted to hassle getting under that darned thing once.

I'm also convinced that when I replace this RV my next one won't have a macerator pump and it will have a black tank cleaning hookup.

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
pickerel cove wrote:
Karsty - I'm anxious to hear what your solution was. We have a 2010 ERA and the macerator stopped working when we were on a 3 week vacation. My husband couldn't fit under ours either. I took it to an RV shop and they didn't have a pit or lift (I should have asked first), and they used 4 stacked 2X10s of graduating lengths and beveled edges to help smooth drive on.

Our pump was actually making pump noises and was not blocked on the inlet side. We also use the correct paper and no flushing anything other than that.

Once replaced the pitch and sound was totally different than it had been and all is working now. Unfortunately I didn't ask for the old one so I can't tell if it was hair inside the macerator or a power issue. Not happy to know that this may be a never ending issue.

In my case it was the macerator pump switch in the water compartment area. They replaced that and all seems well. The first time it was clogged at the impeller and would blow a fuse every time I turn the switch on.

I am not at all impressed the the macerator pump way of emptying and users of the ERA need some kind of emergency dump outlet. Just another way that Winnebago has scrimped on these units in my opinion.

Your symptoms sound different than mine ... it would have been nice to have kept the pump and have it rebuilt and keep as a spare.

I don't use the black tank on mine unit at all. Since I travel alone I will stop along the way and if necessary use "wagg bags". The grey tank no problem with that ... except when the darn pump doesn't work.

2012 Winnebago ERA

pickerel_cove
Explorer
Explorer
Karsty - I'm anxious to hear what your solution was. We have a 2010 ERA and the macerator stopped working when we were on a 3 week vacation. My husband couldn't fit under ours either. I took it to an RV shop and they didn't have a pit or lift (I should have asked first), and they used 4 stacked 2X10s of graduating lengths and beveled edges to help smooth drive on.

Our pump was actually making pump noises and was not blocked on the inlet side. We also use the correct paper and no flushing anything other than that.

Once replaced the pitch and sound was totally different than it had been and all is working now. Unfortunately I didn't ask for the old one so I can't tell if it was hair inside the macerator or a power issue. Not happy to know that this may be a never ending issue.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Rhino Ramps for DIY project & maintenance for years. You want the higher-rated ones; 12,000 lb., IIRC. They're in the $50 range at most big-box auto parts stores. They're pretty light, but they are bulky.

I've read of macerator impellers being jammed by olive pits and by hair from the shower. That doesn't sound like it fits your problem, tho'. Be sure to post the 'fix' when you find it. It might be a help to someone in the future.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Neverhappy
Explorer
Explorer
Gene in NE wrote:
Karsty wrote:
...snip...Just have to find a way to get under the darn thing. Looks like a set of DIY ramps are in order to get this thing up off the ground enough to get under and see what is what...snip...
I have used the curb in front of my house. Drive either the left wheels or the right wheels up on the curb depending the side that needs to be crawled under. Not very dangerous, provides quite a bit more crawling room, and always available. 🙂

So obvious now..but I never thought of the curb..to get under my Roadtrek 190..
Thanks
Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
Gene in NE wrote:
Karsty wrote:
...snip...Just have to find a way to get under the darn thing. Looks like a set of DIY ramps are in order to get this thing up off the ground enough to get under and see what is what...snip...
I have used the curb in front of my house. Drive either the left wheels or the right wheels up on the curb depending the side that needs to be crawled under. Not very dangerous, provides quite a bit more crawling room, and always available. 🙂

Thanks for the tip ... That just might do the trick for me. I'll try it and see what I can see. If all else fails I will very reluctantly take it to the dealer, who generally sucks when it comes to service ... Although I have since learned that the service manager I was having issues with has since left.

I still want to look into having an alternate way of dumping the grey tank in an emergency and will check into that as well.

Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions.

2012 Winnebago ERA

dks
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem with my flojet and it turned out to be the inline fuse located near my isolator. Mine is an aftermarket installation done by the previous owner so I didn't even know there was a fuse there.