cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Help Quick

marbilupton
Explorer
Explorer
I am leaving campground to go home. Need to winterize first. Have water heater bypass in bypass and other valve in divert position. All antifreeze going into water heater. Any ideas why this is happening?
Retired Navy, 39 Years
2005 Winnebago Voyage 35D
2006 Honda Crv
Blue OX Alexus Tow Bar
Brake Buddy
5 REPLIES 5

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have a 1 or 2 valve system with check valve... ANd the check valve has failed (There are two failure modes) Then .. It will not check.

The two failure modes.... (And one can lead to the other)

1: The valve "limes up" with mineral deposits and will not open, this leaves you taking one COLD shower, cause there is no hot...

Now one way of fixing this is to "Gut" the valve.. do that and you now get full hot flow.. but the check valve now works as in 2:

2: Stuck open, allowing back flow.

Suggestion: Winterize by the DRY method.. For now, that means open all vavles, Low point, Faucets, everything, and get an air compressor (portable) with regulated output, set to 50 psi and blow till nothing more comes out.. Have a cup of coffee.. Blow again, and again, (Like 10 times with about 3-5 minutes between blows) shut it down.

If the air thus left in the lines ever freezes... You won't care.. Neither will I, (If air freezes breathing becomes... Impossible).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Blow everything our with an air compressor....done!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Must have been a 'twidget' in the NAVY..a 'snipe' could figure out the valving :B:B

If you have a 1 valve or 2 valve system on water heater you will have a check valve in hot outlet nipple on tank (top fitting).

If you have the cold inlet valve diverted to bypass WH (1 valve---handle is perpendicular to cold water line)
OR
If the bypass valve is open and cold shutoff valve closed (2 valve)
Then...check valve is leaking back thru letting anti-freeze get in WH

If you have 3 valves.......cold inlet closed, bypass valve open....HOT outlet valve closed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll take a stab based on my coach.

You valve as in singular. There are two shut off valves, input and out put plus the bypass so three valves what have to change.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Its easy to get them mixed up, on my rig you just turn one valve to winterize. Hopefully you just need to double check. You can always just run water until you have it figured out.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!