cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with class B road test in NC, will pay/compensate

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
Okay..so I'll admit right up front...I'm a total idiot. Let's just get that out of the way. Wife and I purchased a Tiffin Allegro Red diesel pusher. We live in the Raleigh area of NC. We take delivery in FL next Friday -- April 10th. Mid last week I just found out I need a non-CDL classified B license. I didn't need one for my pickup and 40-foot 5th wheel I that I drove for several seasons. So this never ever crossed my mind.

I was wondering if someone with a vehicle (it can be an RV, a box truck, a flatbed, etc.) that has a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or more would be willing to accompany me to a DMV road test and let me use their vehicle for the test. I insist on paying someone for the use of their vehicle and time. This is a very big request that I'm actually embarrassed to even ask...but I'm up against time here and running out of good options. Of note, I took my written test and have my class B permit. I could also look for someone that has a class b/a or cdl class b/a to come to FL with me and hang out in the passenger seat while I drive it back...but I'd rather get my license, if possible.

Please...you don't need to tell me I'm an idiot. I already know this. If you have suggestions for me, I'm all ears.

Thanks so much,
Rob
33 REPLIES 33

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad you got back on here and let us know how it played out. Thankfully, and something I failed to mention in my earlier post on this, my home state does not require any special license for my DP---yet......Don't know if thats good or bad but this one is over 100k miles now and the last one went over 200k before I sold it for this one....I guess I know how to drive it!

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
DazedNConfused wrote:
bshpilot wrote:
Congrats !

Question for you - did you learn anything from either the written or driving test ?

Funny you mention that. As a Class B license, not a CDL B, you technically do not have to get the air brake certification since that is a CDL thing. The DMV guy didn't know that...so he issued me the Air Brake cert test -- which I passed. In studying for that...that is where I learned the most. The General knowledge section was pretty intuitive. So yes...I did get something out of it as this was my first air-brake equipped vehicle.

Rob

good for you - kinda my point though, if people would just read the book they would easily qualify/pass.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
Congrats !

Question for you - did you learn anything from either the written or driving test ?

Funny you mention that. As a Class B license, not a CDL B, you technically do not have to get the air brake certification since that is a CDL thing. The DMV guy didn't know that...so he issued me the Air Brake cert test -- which I passed. In studying for that...that is where I learned the most. The General knowledge section was pretty intuitive. So yes...I did get something out of it as this was my first air-brake equipped vehicle.

Rob

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats !

Don R.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update and congrats! Always nice to have a thread like this wrapped up with the result.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats for passing your test and doing it right.

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
Most people probably won't really care, but wanted to post up on how this all panned out. The day before we left for FL to pick up our new coach, I got a call from a Penske truck rental place. The guy said they had a "CDL Truck" that he would rent me if I could find a driver that had their CDL A or B to pick it up. As luck would have it, one of my trucker friends was in town and on vacation. We headed straight to Penske, got the truck, headed to the DMV and asked them to give me an unscheduled road test -- which they were happy to do -- and I passed my test. So I was able to legally drive back -- which made me feel a lot better and made the trip much more enjoyable. 🙂

Rob

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
..Here's one more vote for 'Just go to Florida, get your new Motorhome back home, enjoy the excitement of it, and worry about the license part later'.

This is a subject I've researched quite a bit, as has my BIL (brother in law) who owns a large 5th wheel. We have discussed this with highway patrol officers, DMV officials, and RV dealer reps. Bottom line is, like already said: It is very, very unlikely, even if you do get stopped for something else, that any law enforcement officer will ever notice this, let alone cite you for such. Most law officers as well as DMV officials will not know about and/or will not care about just what specific RV type would require a B license and what would not.

Only risk would be in the event of a major accident, where everything about you and your rig would be scrutinized. Yes, in that case, not having the B license could be a problem. Thats why you should probably get the license, eventually, but I don't think you need to just for the 1 trip home with it.

Even RV dealer reps in North Carolina that I've talked to, that drive these rigs as part of their job all the time (to RV shows, etc), in most cases do not have a B license! They do NOT require you to have such license when selling you one, either. They do remind their customers that technically they are supposed to have such license, but thats it.

Go get your Motorhome, and enjoy it. 🙂

On a sidenote, thats not very helpful but I'll say it anyway: This issue with NC drivers licensing, is yet another of the many reasons we chose and will stick with our gasser MH and its GCWR under 26,001 lbs: I don't have to worry about getting any special licensing to drive it, as DP owners do in many cases.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
my bet is you can drive it w/out the class b endorsement & you'll never get stopped.
Don R.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thats insane----I have been stopped 2 times in NC in my DP towing a trailer with a combined length over 70ft and nothing ever said about my license.....They just looked at it and thanked me and handed it back.....I also attended a meeting about these things conducted by the NCMA with NC and federal DOT and State Troopers....None of those in attendance could give you a good answer about what license was required.....Just go get your DP, drive it home, and quit stressing about it. I am surprised your local DMV knew what you were talking about.

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Tractor/semi with automatic would work great. I took my first CDL-B test in that vehicle.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who owns a tractor/semi. It's an automatic. Any reason that can't work? Has higher than 26,000 lb GVWR and when unhooked from the trailer it's nice and short. :).

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fla does not require a B and you do not have to stop at weigh stations...I'd go get it and drive it home. Take the test on the 13th in it... getting it to the test site might legally be a problem.
I will not take any of my big trucks into NC even though it's very close as the DOT will pull you over and always find something wrong.$$$ I have never been stopped in my RV... OK the State Patrol said I was going a little fast.:(
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Skylark
Explorer
Explorer
Dazed, does your fifth wheel weigh over 10,001 lbs. If so, just take the driving test for a class a non-Cdl license. A class a give you the license to drive a vehicle over 26,001 lbs and tow anything over 10,001 lbs which you already have.
Other than that, I would just go get the mh and get the class license when you get back. I have asked a few HP officers about this requirement and every one I have asked don not even know about it.
About a month ago, I asked a DOT enforcement officer about the requirement, he said there was no such requirement, that all you had to have was a class c license.
Good luck and best wishes on your endeavor.