12 REPLIES 12

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
bobndot wrote:
Google Maps .....and you probably already 'own' it! :C

Does GMโ€™s show height restrictions that rvโ€™s encounter ?

Hmmmm? Couldn't tell you. Probably not. But we've been RVing since 2003, our largest unit being a Winnebago Journey DP, and we've never found any place we couldn't go because of any 'height restrictions' -- and never clipped the top of the RV on a low bridge. Maybe you just go to different places than we do.

Lol. Yes, we got stuck 2x taking 2 lane roads the GM suggested.
We were lucky to be able to do a u- turn , light traffic , the first time but already was 20 miles into the trip. The second time we had to double back a shorter distance but had a line a cars behind us that all had to backup so we could do a U- turn. Its just a matter of luck but in metropolitan cities, low bridges are common. I see it all the time with semi trucks hitting low bridges .

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:

Hmmmm? Couldn't tell you. Probably not. But we've been RVing since 2003, our largest unit being a Winnebago Journey DP, and we've never found any place we couldn't go because of any 'height restrictions' -- and never clipped the top of the RV on a low bridge. Maybe you just go to different places than we do.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
This is the one I use: Garmin RV 785 GPS. I researched a LOT before I bought. I love it. It has a camera so it has forward and side lane warnings. If you get too far out of your lane it will let you know. That is why I bought that particular model.

I also run a Rand McNally RV gps. I love the Rand McNally. It follows my route better. However, every RM I have had fails. It just goes bonkers. I have had one replaced under warranty because of this and the one I currently use will occasionally do it, but is working well enough to use along with the Garmin.

When I have a rider, I have them use Waze. I sometimes have that running on my phone in the cup holder as well. But it's not designed to pick up and use when you are driving down the road. It will alert to slow downs on the roads and wrecks, etc. Same with the phones. I like something I can punch a control and get something I need. My Garmin has traffic on it and it will also give most of those same alerts.

I am solo, so if I run into a roadblock I cannot just start maneuvering through a phone/GPS, etc. Much better if you have a navigator. But I am in a smaller RV now and can change course a bit easier if I need to.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a variety of mapping software on an iPad with a GPS dongle. Itโ€™s a big beautiful screen and a MUCH faster processor.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Sadie,

If you do not venture off major routes, a cell based GPS will do just fine. Some can be set for your coach's dimensions and that is good. We tried this (once) and even with the maps re-loaded as far as we expected to go, we still ended up driving off the end of the earth. Kind of like Columbus's four ship.

The cartography in the Garmin charts seems to be pretty good, but I suggest that you look at as many as you can find and possibly even borrow for a day or three.

Google maps might be more up to date, but using them is dependent on having signal and even with out external antenna and 3wERP repeater, we can still loose coverage when off the blue roads.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Phedley
Explorer
Explorer
I use IMAPS if you have iPhones or RV LIFE HAS GPS IDEAL FOR ALL RVโ€™s

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the day of the standalone GPS over? I think so. I use the iPad or iPhone connected to the 1500โ€™s screen.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you used google maps or eq? At least a few years ago after market GPS were not that accurate. Probably should be moved to Technology.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double check but i think the Garmin 760 is good for taller vehicles like rvs and trucks that require planned routes that avoid low clearances.
Im not sure if Waze or Google maps offers that feature.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use โ€œWazeโ€; an app on my phone. Try it, maybe youโ€™ll decide you donโ€™t need to spend a few hundred dollars for a gps.