cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New class A Motorhome

racechaser
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all....I currently have a 35 ft fifth wheel trailer and will soon be trading up to a class A motorhome. Being a newby to motorhomes , I was hoping for opinions from everyone. We are looking at 2 rigs right now. One is a 2015 Jayco Precept 35un and a 2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus 38TGP. The Jayco is a gas engine with 3500 miles while the 2003 Tiffin is a diesel with 88,000. Opinions on the choices ? Is a 2003 motorhome getting to the point of major repairs ? Thanks in advance for any advice that may help us in our decision.
2003 F-250 PSD with Hypertech Power Tuning
2010 Jayco Eagle
Twin Honda 2000's generators
34 REPLIES 34

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
Diesels oil change can be $400, repairs are much more expensive when they occur, they are stronger aS long aS they are big enough for the size of the rigs. With all that said, if you haVe the money, get a diesel and Tiffen is a great brand reputation.
IF you are really going to use it and not just be a weekend warrior, diesel rocks.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Fla_Tom1
Explorer
Explorer
racechaser wrote:
Thanks for the replies .
fyi tiffin uses,schwintech slides

racechaser
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone ...great advice. We are leaning toward the gasser Kiffin based on the amount of miles and use it will be for. We just can't justify the extra cost of a dp at this time.
2010 Jayco Eagle

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
I vote for the newer unit.

Looking beyond the quality of build and the original class and MSRP, the technology and decor in this things gets outdated fast! You are probably looking at an absorption fridge, fat TVs, media technology based on park cable TV, etc. in that Tiffin. There are notable improvements to these things ever year and the 2015 catches you up a little better.

Tiffin is a better make - perhaps look at the comparable gasser (Allegro Red) in a 2015.

I too vote for the newer unit. I am afraid your older diesel wishes may give you much to worry about. Listen to Effy on this one.
Mark

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for the newer unit.

Looking beyond the quality of build and the original class and MSRP, the technology and decor in this things gets outdated fast! You are probably looking at an absorption fridge, fat TVs, media technology based on park cable TV, etc. in that Tiffin. There are notable improvements to these things ever year and the 2015 catches you up a little better.

Tiffin is a better make - perhaps look at the comparable gasser (Allegro Red) in a 2015.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1, I agree, there are a few old motorhomes that are really cool and collectible. The Vixens are certainly in that group with such unique styling.

I know a couple of guys that have the old GMC motorhomes in great shape.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
I have an 04 DP on a Freightliner Chassis with 42,000 miles. Cummins 8.3 350hp engine. In the last year, I had to replace a lift pump and the ECM. Other then that, everything runs and works great. Personally I'd lean towards the Diesel Pusher. Good luck
Brian

I have a 14 gasser on a Ford chassis with 34,000 miles (purchased new) with a Ford V10. In the last two years we have changed the oil. We fulltime in it and have been from Alaska to Florida.

We looked at DPs because we full time and put in a lot of miles. But, we just couldn't find a DP in the size we wanted (under 35') that had a layout we could live with. In the end, we realized that we drive a lot less than we park and enjoying our bus when we are parked is a heck of a lot more important than if the engine is quiet when we drive.

Effy is right - find a floor plan you love. Make sure the bed is comfortable, the seating arrangement works, you have enough kitchen counter space, the storage will hold what you need, and the shower is tall enough. If you don't like living in it, you won't drive it anywhere anyway.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Effy wrote:

I don't think the OP is looking for a 40 yr old DP or a 20 yr old gasser. Again, did I miss something?

You miss that OP is considering purchase of 13 years coach.
How long it will take it to cross 20 years mark?

I'm gonna go with 7.
2013 ACE 29.2

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 04 DP on a Freightliner Chassis with 42,000 miles. Cummins 8.3 350hp engine. In the last year, I had to replace a lift pump and the ECM. Other then that, everything runs and works great. Personally I'd lean towards the Diesel Pusher. Good luck
Brian

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Effy wrote:

I don't think the OP is looking for a 40 yr old DP or a 20 yr old gasser. Again, did I miss something?

You miss that OP is considering purchase of 13 years coach.
How long it will take it to cross 20 years mark?

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr.Mark wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Even with short trips diesel will beat gaser as you will not have to worry about 2 years old fuel and other stuff.
Than go back to resale value.
I just sold 44 years old diesel coach and new owners are very happy with it.
How many buyers will consider > 20 old gas coach?

Ask the GMC crowd about the unit built from 1973-1978... extremely collectible. :W

MM.

Yeah. Other exception are Barths, but they only confirm the general rule.
Still comparing to 30 years old/30 mpg Vixens they are neglected.

racechaser
Explorer
Explorer
All great points . All the more thoughts to ponder .
2010 Jayco Eagle

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Even with short trips diesel will beat gaser as you will not have to worry about 2 years old fuel and other stuff.

Ask the GMC crowd about the unit built from 1973-1978... extremely collectible. :W

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

Scratching my head a bit. Per the OP, an 8 hour trip on frequent weekends will certainly run through fuel. Who is worried about 2 year old fuel? Am I missing something?

It's all relative, sure you can resell a DP for more money than a used gasser. But you also pay a lot less for a gasser up front and amortized maintenance is a lot less on a gasser. Relative. Who buys a MH as an investment for future resale anyway? They depreciate so heavily it's a matter of which one will you lose more money on. The used market is so competitive you will take a beating either way.

The point is, why buy a DP which costs a lot more money to buy as well as maintain, when you take only weekend trips? But to each his own.
2013 ACE 29.2