cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New flooring Question

mnmustang65
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently replacing the carpet and ceramic tile in our 2005 Holiday Rambler Scepter with vinyl tile. The question is, has anyone replaced the flooring over the Diesel engine bump located in the rear? It gets pretty warm so it might not work to use the vinyl but I have pretty severe allergies and would really like to replace the old, dirty carpet with something easier to clean. Any suggestions?
11 REPLIES 11

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced ALL the carpet in our 2001 Monaco with cork. For the engine hump I built a box out of 1/2" plywood to attach the cork to. Made the lid/top so it lifted off to access the engine trap door. Just make sure you trim slide surround so it clears the extra height. Works great, sturdy. Holds my 200+ lbs. Just a possible solution for you.
Don

mnmustang65
Explorer
Explorer
kdk wrote:
I replaced all our flooring with vinyl tile though out. Yes I did the engine cover in the back , around steering wheel and entry step area. Used Armstrong Alterna "Mesa" in living and bath area which was grouted with 1/16" spacers and Manington Cherry plank in the bed room. All adhered to new ply wood sub-floor. Been in there 6 years without an issue. DW loves just a swifter and all done. Did put down some throw rugs in colder weather.
Good luck with your project and it can be tedious work but worth it.
Blessings;Keith

We are using a peel and stick tile from Home depot. We hope it will be okay but I do think that the glue down type are probably better. That being said, would you advise us to try to use them on the engine compartment? Would love to see photos of yours if you have them to share. What did you use on corners? How did you deal with the slides? Would really appreciate your input. Thanks Keith.

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all our flooring with vinyl tile though out. Yes I did the engine cover in the back , around steering wheel and entry step area. Used Armstrong Alterna "Mesa" in living and bath area which was grouted with 1/16" spacers and Manington Cherry plank in the bed room. All adhered to new ply wood sub-floor. Been in there 6 years without an issue. DW loves just a swifter and all done. Did put down some throw rugs in colder weather.
Good luck with your project and it can be tedious work but worth it.
Blessings;Keith
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I would replace that carpet with new carpet. There must be some good non-allergenic carpet available and due to the minimum amount required you should be able to find a remnant that would work for very little money.

she never said she was allergic to carpet? just the dirt and grime carpet collects and retains. Thats why most all of the newer diesel pushers are all tile and hardwood last few years.no one wants carpet anymore.

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
flooring stores - their installers hate to work on coaches cause the guys get paid by the square foot or yard. It is not that difficult of a task that you could do it. Just go slow. Whatever was installed can be removed.
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

mnmustang65
Explorer
Explorer
erniee wrote:
I always add new carpet in those areas

Erniee, not sure we have the skill to do the carpet on the small vertical places, such as in the stair well. Do you think a flooring store would work on something like that?

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
I always add new carpet in those areas
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

mnmustang65
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I would replace that carpet with new carpet. There must be some good non-allergenic carpet available and due to the minimum amount required you should be able to find a remnant that would work for very little money.

Call me picky but if we replace that part with carpeting I would want to replace all the little areas that we planned to leave carpet, such as, any little vertical portions where the carpet did not get any wear and are not dirty. It would look odd to have different carpet on that one part. Also, since I have allergies I really would like to have that carpet (on the horizontal portion at least) gone.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mnmustang65
Explorer
Explorer
If you figure anything out, please let us know. Best of luck with your project. Husband is nearing finished putting luaun underlayment over the plywood subfloor.

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
mnmustang65 wrote:
We are currently replacing the carpet and ceramic tile in our 2005 Holiday Rambler Scepter with vinyl tile. The question is, has anyone replaced the flooring over the Diesel engine bump located in the rear? It gets pretty warm so it might not work to use the vinyl but I have pretty severe allergies and would really like to replace the old, dirty carpet with something easier to clean. Any suggestions?

Good question. We are planning the same thing, hadn't thought about that spot, I was concerned about the indention around stirring column and accelerator/brake peddles.
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia