cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Member Introduction

Wolf_n_Kat
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, I'm Lee (aka Wolf), and I'm the new kid on the block although I'm not exactly new to RV's. When I was growing up, many years I'd go back to visit my grandparents, and wonder "What kind of trailer/RV are they going to have this year?!" One year it was a basic camper shell on a '63 Dodge (even now I miss "The Old Goat" with it's push-button tranny!); one year it was a "Minnie Winne" with glass pack mufflers; one year my grandfather was working on converting a 1962 Chevrolet school bus. We had an Apache pop-up that we would take out, and years later my father bought a fifth-wheel. Since then he's gone through a class C, and currently has a class A motorhome.

But this isn't about then, this is about now. My wife and I just bought a '74 El Dorado, and now we're in the RV club!! I know, it's old I know there's a few problems with it (today we noticed some wood rot in the overhang - looks like I'm going to be replacing plywood!), but it's OURS, all OURS!! :B

12 REPLIES 12

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome You "C" is very much like our last. We covered many many miles and states with it. The nice thing about it was that my wife could relive me driving.

With the bigger rig she can't. She still does all the driving but I'm stuck behind the steering wheel.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

Travelcrafter
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome: A lot of old schoolers here, in fact, mines a 78/77 Chevy I bought just a month or so ago.I absolutely love it. I can't keep from looking it over and fixing Little things here and there that I find. I have had a blast doing it.The very first thing I done was 7 new tires. When I got it home it was up on the roof removing all the old caulk and sealant;I striped it, cleaned it all with acetone and then resealed every thing with high quality RV sealants. The previous owner had just done an oil change but I went ahead and redone that to suit my preference. I named mine the Palace It's an old Travelcraft and when you open the door and clime in there's a coat of arms plaque over top of the fridge. I told my son every time I climb in it I loose 35 years.I guess i'm telling you this because I want you to feel the same way about your M.H. and try to keep a good attitude about your adventure in the C class. Have fun with it, make it safe above all else, then start the little fix it projects and again welcome.

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it will be a fun project... I love the auxiliary lights on the cabover! Have fun, be safe, and welcome!
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
There is a dedicated Dodge Class C motorhome thread on this forum that may be helpful to you. You should know all the stuff about water leaks, wheels and tires, cooling system, brakes and brake fluid, appliances and house battery/charging systems and be able to deal with them to have a safe and fully functional rig. Welcome aboard.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love the older coaches. Be safe, enjoy the views and smile a lot...

ronfisherman
Welcome to RV.NET
If you have not found it yet. Check out this thread.
How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the family.

I notice that at one time the unit had a awning since the track is still there, take your time to find all the wood damage and then reseal the roof and also the marker lights and check the window seals all of them, also make sure that the black lamps have been mounted correct and the screws have been sealed.

If the lower attachment points for the awning "legs" have been damaged and the screws do not hold, fill them with wood and then reinsert the screws, they might have been pulled out.

Also check where the cabin meets the house for any damage from flexing and any water leaks, a friend of mine had a problem with flexing of the overhead area and we found out that there was to little structural support where the cabin and the house met.

Enjoy the project and the camping.

navegator

Pine5008
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, looks like it will be a fun project and adventure. Post before and after pics.
Pine
2006 F350 SRW Crew Cab, 6.0
2014 Keystone Fuzion 390

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
if your famiy appreciates it, so will we.all.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.
Great looking little coach.
Enjoy your new toy and safe travels!
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy looks good
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Happy trails. Nothing like a new adventure. Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.

Don't forget to clean out the duckways.

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; Probably because they are generally the same people. --- G. K. Chesterson
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.