cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Owner With A Couple Of Questions

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
We are new buyers and new to the RV world and have a couple of questions I hope someone might help us with. We are looking at buying a 1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35 with only about 30,000 miles, with a Ford engine and chassis. I have a couple or concerns that the more experienced owners can offer some insight. The coach has belonged to the current owner for about 12 years and for that time it has been kept in a garage. He keeps it set up on the hydraulic levelors at all times. I have been over all of the systems and everything except the heater and one of the overhead vent fans works fine. One thing that worries me are the tires. The owners have used the coach MAYBE 10 times since they owned it. The tires look like brand new except they are 8 years old. So might this be a problem? Also, during the test drive yesterday, once the coach reaches about 40 to 50 miles an hour, there is a very loud high pitched sound that appears to be coming from the outside on the passenger side. It comes and goes so it isn't constant. But it's loud enough to be annoying inside. When stopped or at slow speeds it is not heard. Thanks for any feedback you can give me. Chuck
23 REPLIES 23

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
window weep hole covers

The little drain slits in the bottom of your windows will whistle and make a wind noise if they aren't covered.

We have these on all our weep holes and keep spares as they seem to disappear quite often.

There are right and left sides for them.

Might check your RV and see if they are on there if not, might be a good idea to try them.

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:
...He keeps it set up on the hydraulic levelors at all times...
You might have a qualified person check out the levelers here - I understand it can be stressful to have a coach perched on them for long periods of time - leaks can develop. If the current owners used it as few times as you mention, it may have been up on them a LOT. Just a thought.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Make sure chassis parts are still available.

My class C whistles as well on the passenger's door.

Checked all the windows and the door. It's definately on the exterior. Chuck

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:
Tire size is 235/85/16 but don't know manufacturer. I am getting prices now in my area. Since we're buying a used coach, is it unreasonable for us to want an adjustment to replace the tires? We're at an agreement at $12K now if no adjustment are factored in. The interior is like new and exterior only shows minor wear and tear except where they put their name on both sides and messed up the paint trying to get it off. Chuck

I got the seller to take of $1,000 for old tires when I bought my $12K MH. Net price $11K.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Make sure chassis parts are still available.

My class C whistles as well on the passenger's door.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the info. It has been very helpful. Chuck

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:
Since we're buying a used coach, is it unreasonable for us to want an adjustment to replace the tires? We're at an agreement at $12K now if no adjustment are factored in. Chuck

When I bought my used motor home, the owner started out asking $21,000, dropped to $19,000 first time I looked at it and when we discussed $3,000 for 19.5" Michelin tires and cash (no check) he dropped to $16,000.

I had all the fluids replaced also - Power steering, brake, transmission, radiator, differential.

Replaced filters.

Did some other things too, but these were the important ones.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, new tires and it should be taken into consideration in pricing. The furnace could end up costing big bucks especially if it's shoe - horned into the chassis..
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
X1 on buying new tires. I would also have the bearings repacked.

I would have that done at the same times as replacing the tires. Chuck

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
I would replace all tires. You will run into that problem on many used RVs.

Noise: 1. I would have someone open and close different windows on that side at highway speeds to see if noise changes. 2. Check awning to make sure it is fully closed.

X1 on buying new tires. I would also have the bearings repacked.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd offer them $11000 since the tires NEED to be replaced IMMEDIATELY. A blow out will cost you more in repairs than all 6 combined. You could offer them ten but they'll most likely just refuse and you're done. Depends on your negotiating skills and how badly they want to sell and how badly you want the coach.

The noise you're hearing is most likely the drain holes as RLS described above. Use some duct tape on the drain holes and see if the noise goes away. If so, the drain plugs are readily available and are not very expensive. I had a similar problem....good luck on your purchase...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't hesitate about negotiating a little lower for tires. I don't ever recall anyone being shot for making a lower offer. There is always a first time though.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
LVJ58 wrote:
Could the noise that comes and goes be the fan clutch cycling in and out?:h

I really don't think so. It is very obvious on the outside passenger side of the coach when listening out any of the windows from inside. Chuck

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Could the noise that comes and goes be the fan clutch cycling in and out?:h
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad