cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tires or not

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about putting my MH up for sale. It needs a new set of tires. Should I go ahead and put the new tires on it or sell as is and let the new owner pick the tires they want. I was thinking they might have a brand preference. If you were buying would you rather have it ready to go or pick the tires you like. I would adjust the price accordingly.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".
24 REPLIES 24

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
Newer tires might show you looked after it better. Add tiress to price you want.
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not put news tires on... may not sell real soon, buyer might prefer a different brand. At 8 years I would recommend to buyere new tires and I prefer XXXX at $$$cost because ???.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
I just experienced this. I was looking at MHs, and I would up or down the value of the MH based on the age of the tires. I ended up with one with new tires, but only because when I adjusted the asking price with the cost of the new tires, I felt it came out in my favor. Of course I was dealing with 2001/2002 motorhomes, not $55K motorhomes, but I'm not sure it would have mattered. Money is money.

Tom

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Just do what you want to do and what you think is right! I couldn't find anywhere on Michelin Tires website that says you should run your tires for 10 years? I bought 6 Michelin Tires thru the FMCA special tire discount program with Michelin for under $3,000.00 the tires were XRV's and I bought them around a year and a half ago to two years ago.

CarlGeo
Explorer
Explorer
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Hankooks are not that cheap neither.
This is sociological thing.
The truth is that for average buyer set of cheap tires, but new will be good eye catcher.
99% buyers go for what looks good and shines, not for what is reliable and long lasting.
You are not saying what selling price you have in mind and how much new tires will cost.?

I am thinking it's worth about $55k as is. I can get the Hankooks out the door for $425 each so I would add that to the price.

I would price the MH at a fair price, not replace the tires, AND when negotiating with a prospective buyer, REDUCE the price of a new set of tires!
This is a better marketing strategy than just raising the price if you replace the tires before putting in on the market or just pricing it lower because it needs tires.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
jwmII wrote:
Put it up for sale AS IS, Where Is. Set your price accordingly and be firm. No offers other than full price offers and no concessions like new tires or new engine. There is a point there where the potential buyer is no longer a buyer but a tire kicker whom you should refer to the new market.

Good plan if you don't want to actually sell your motorhome.

X2

Bill

WRONG!!. It works every time. Try it. This thing of having something for sale and then having to do this and change that is baloney . You just need the where with all to stand your ground. Do you really believe you got a special deal on your last vehicle purchase? Believe me; The sales person knew what he was going to charge you for it before you did.
jwmII

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of your input. I don't have to sell it and am not going to accept a low ball offer. It is in mint condition with just over 50k miles. It has been garage kept its entire life. The tires look fine but they are 8 years old. I think I will put the tires on and also new shocks. I have a local body shop that is going to polish it up in early spring. I will then put it up for sale and if it goes fine and if it don't that fine also.

I am five years from retirement and want a newer rig when I retire. I was thinking I would sell this one now and get a 26 to 28 foot camper trailer and use it until I retire and then get my retirement rig when I can use it more.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Effy wrote:
Used motorhomes are everywhere and a very competitive market. When we sold our first MH privately, I had it inspected so it was turn key and ready to go. Anything on the inspection I had fixed. I felt this appealed to potential buyers and it does. Most buyers excited about the purchase of a MH - new or used, want to get out and camp. They don't want to be bothered with new tires or anything else that it needs. I say most because some are looking for a project they can buy cheaper. But I would bet most buyers would rather pay a fair price and have it ready to roll than try and get a deal knowing it needs work. It also lends that thought about "what else does it need?.." If you don't get tires and have it ready to roll get ready for less interest and more haggling on your price. If you get it ready to go, you'll get more interest and can hold a little more firm on your price. Just my 2 cents.

Selling expensive stuff is a science and that is why on Real Estate you hire professionals to help you with it.
I build new house in California and being short of funds did not put pavers, assuming new owner might like the option of his choice of color and shape.
After few weeks it become obvious that to sell house with no finished driveway would require lowering price by $200,000.
I put pavers.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
jwmII wrote:
Put it up for sale AS IS, Where Is. Set your price accordingly and be firm. No offers other than full price offers and no concessions like new tires or new engine. There is a point there where the potential buyer is no longer a buyer but a tire kicker whom you should refer to the new market.

X2

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
jwmII wrote:

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
jwmII

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Used motorhomes are everywhere and a very competitive market. When we sold our first MH privately, I had it inspected so it was turn key and ready to go. Anything on the inspection I had fixed. I felt this appealed to potential buyers and it does. Most buyers excited about the purchase of a MH - new or used, want to get out and camp. They don't want to be bothered with new tires or anything else that it needs. I say most because some are looking for a project they can buy cheaper. But I would bet most buyers would rather pay a fair price and have it ready to roll than try and get a deal knowing it needs work. It also lends that thought about "what else does it need?.." If you don't get tires and have it ready to roll get ready for less interest and more haggling on your price. If you get it ready to go, you'll get more interest and can hold a little more firm on your price. Just my 2 cents.
2013 ACE 29.2

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I would make the coach look nice, polish the rims (a big eye catcher) and put some treatment on the tires. Nothing shiny, just make them look clean.

Since your year Monaco uses the smaller 22.5 tires (255/70), the Hankooks are a great fit and ride exceptionally well. They're a reasonable replacement and you've already done your homework on what they cost. I would keep that number in your pocket and if the potential buyer presses you for new tires, use about 75% of what the new Hankooks will cost as reduction in sales price. If they go at you harder, use 100% and then hold the line.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Scars
Explorer
Explorer
I bought ours from a private owner who said he'd make a 2K reduction in the purchase price as a tire allowance. As already pointed out, the brand can be the new buyers choice and they get a feeling they made a better deal...plus you don't have to deal with it!
PS-if you are looking to downsize I'll trade you even and throw in 10 cases of beer :B_
'03 Monaco Monarch SE 31'