cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Winnebago on Ford Tansit

Nvr_lost
Explorer
Explorer
Check it out. Coming to a theater near you.
http://www.rvbusiness.com/2015/10/winnebago-launching-fuse-class-c-at-louisville/comment-page-1/#comment-180643
29 REPLIES 29

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I don't think Ford and Cummins will be doing any projects anytime soon. Cummins tends to be a Fiat/Dodge brand first in the US.

Diesel wise, I'd probably guess the 6.7 will be the engine used. However, gasser-wise, who knows. Ford did have a decent run with their 6.2 liter engine in their F-150, and it just might be that a retuned version of that might wind up as the gasser alternative, since its power curves are very close to the V-10.

Gent in video was talking of Motorhome builders, which is where this engine will naturally go.
Ford could phase in their 6.7litre engine as a replacement for the V10 rather than the 6.2
Nissan Titan and possibly the Toyota Tundra are slated to use the 5 Litre Diesel. I doubt FCA will as they want to use theirs eventually. ( The 6.7litre engine is built by FCA for CNH,.i.e CASE Tractors)

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think Ford and Cummins will be doing any projects anytime soon. Cummins tends to be a Fiat/Dodge brand first in the US.

Diesel wise, I'd probably guess the 6.7 will be the engine used. However, gasser-wise, who knows. Ford did have a decent run with their 6.2 liter engine in their F-150, and it just might be that a retuned version of that might wind up as the gasser alternative, since its power curves are very close to the V-10.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I won't be surprised to see in the next year or two, some heavier duty (T-450/T-550) Transit models out. As for the engine? Anyone's guess. I'd like a choice between an EB V-8, a V-8 that has flex-fuel capability, and a turbo diesel V-8, since none of the existing engine choices come even near what the Ford V-10 can do, especially moving 20,000-30,000 pounds of rig.

That 5 Litre Cummins was built it as a Motorhome power source. Cummins are saying for Motorhomes in the 25-30,000lb range
Video Clicky on 5litre Diesel for Motorhomes
" Clickey" Video of new Cummins for Motorhomes

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I won't be surprised to see in the next year or two, some heavier duty (T-450/T-550) Transit models out. As for the engine? Anyone's guess. I'd like a choice between an EB V-8, a V-8 that has flex-fuel capability, and a turbo diesel V-8, since none of the existing engine choices come even near what the Ford V-10 can do, especially moving 20,000-30,000 pounds of rig.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
carringb wrote:
Only E-series vans have stopped. The cutaway chassis alone is still the 3rd top selling van chassis in the US. Cutaway has been committed through 2019. They did stop selling the lighter under 11,500 GVWR E350 DRWs as those overlapped the Transit offerings.

I sure hope that Ford keeps offering the cutaway chassis versions of - and suppliers keep supplying parts for - at least the E450.

A portion (how big?) of the U.S. Class C market really needs the current 14,500 GVWR of this chassis. Not all of us care for the new wave of somewhat cramped smallish Class C units that are only good for 2-3 days of non-hookup non-tank-emptying camping time.

The E450 under our Class C just happens to drive smooth and rock solid. One hand on the steering wheel while cruising. We hope to be able to keep it several years yet with full support.

Ford pretty much owns that market. There is no real competition and thus no reason to come up with something better than a decades old design.

Support will still be around long after production ceases. That's not a worry.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
Only E-series vans have stopped. The cutaway chassis alone is still the 3rd top selling van chassis in the US. Cutaway has been committed through 2019. They did stop selling the lighter under 11,500 GVWR E350 DRWs as those overlapped the Transit offerings.

I sure hope that Ford keeps offering the cutaway chassis versions of - and suppliers keep supplying parts for - at least the E450.

A portion (how big?) of the U.S. Class C market really needs the current 14,500 GVWR of this chassis. Not all of us care for the new wave of somewhat cramped smallish Class C units that are only good for 2-3 days of non-hookup non-tank-emptying camping time.

The E450 under our Class C just happens to drive smooth and rock solid. One hand on the steering wheel while cruising. We hope to be able to keep it several years yet with full support.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
Nvr*lost wrote:

Ford announced over a year ago that the E series will stop production eventually. At that time, the announcement was tied to the RV production cutaway class as limited and will stop. (They can always make the transit bigger in the next couple of years.) I think they might only produce the E cutaway chassis now.

I would imagine, due to now-limited production of piles of common parts with the E-series van, there could be a cost increase to the cut-away because "volume pricing" on those parts will be no longer.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Nvr*lost wrote:

Ford announced over a year ago that the E series will stop production eventually. At that time, the announcement was tied to the RV production cutaway class as limited and will stop. (They can always make the transit bigger in the next couple of years.) I think they might only produce the E cutaway chassis now.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Nvr_lost
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
mlts22 wrote:
IThe Econoline's as a platform, its days are numbered, and the Transit is going to replace it sooner or later.

E-series isn't going anywhere, and continues to get updates like the year's 6-speed auto. Transit simply can't compete in the higher weight class.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Tatest wrote:
VW manufactures both classes, Transporter to compete with Ducato and Renault Master, and a Sprinter-based Crafter to compete with Transit and Sprinter in the next size up.

Not quite , Transporter competes with Renault Trafic, not the Renault Master

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
IThe Econoline's as a platform, its days are numbered, and the Transit is going to replace it sooner or later.

E-series isn't going anywhere, and continues to get updates like the year's 6-speed auto. Transit simply can't compete in the higher weight class.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if part of it is due to the fact that the View/Navion has gone from a midrange model to a premium model with a price tag to boot.

How the Fuse compares to the Trend? I think both address different markets. The Trend is more Euro-style, having drop-down beds and other nifty features. The Fuse is more of a conventional style with slide-outs, more competing against the smaller Ford E-350 rigs than the Sprinters.

It is a wise move on Winnebago's part. The Econoline's as a platform, its days are numbered, and the Transit is going to replace it sooner or later.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I learned with our 2007 E350 Phoenix Cruiser, it is very easy to increase our original unloaded vehicle weight by adding heavy duty stabilizer bars, 6V batteries, TVs, pressure tank, quality faucets and other interior upgrades. Then add all the trip-related weight this past trip carrying a surplus of bottled water and other supplies, and we ended up right at the limit of 11,500 pounds. That is 2250 pounds more than the original unloaded vehicle weight.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
JT wrote:
Which is the same gross weight as the original View/Navions and they pulled it off.
---
Really? Any real life, "loaded for the road", documented weight figures to back up this statement?

Gross weight was 10,200 on the 5 cylinder View/Navions and they sold plenty of them. There are lots of them still on the road, so it apparently worked.

I only know the OCCC numbers for my 2011 (higher gross weight but also higher unladen weight) which is about 1500 lbs. I can easily live within that number. The 5 cylinder Sprinter RVs were around before OCCC was standardized and I don't know how Winnebago calculated their numbers back then but I think they used the RVIA method of the day. Ask an owner of a 5 cylinder Sprinter RV.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad