cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie - First time towing car dolly - looking for tips

rcsauce
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - I am a very new to RVing. I just got a car dolly to tow my minivan. Is there any advice you could give me? We have a break controller and I did a very short test. One thing that happened was the mag taillights got disconnected. I ran it through the car and I think I didn't give it enough slack.

Thanks in advance for the advice
6 REPLIES 6

PDDGM
Explorer
Explorer
I learnt a couple of things when I made my first trip with a tow dolly in Jan of this year, as others have said be careful where you pull in, backing up is ectremely hard to impossible. Also try to use the outside pumps at places you stop, some stations are putting the pumps so close to the building that it's hard to pull thru when cars are parked in front of the store. Check your straps every time you stop for gas, it only takes a minute and you are right there anyway. I used magnetic lights that sit on top of the car and ran the wiring down the front under the windshield wipers and then to the hitch of the motorhome. Turns are easy if you take your time and don't rush.
Joe
2000 Pace Arrow 33v
2010 Kia Soul
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Tow Dolly with motorcycle carrier

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
After I first loaded our RAV4 I marked the ramps and used a magic marker to make a line on the ramps, so I could line up the front tire when driving on while leaning out the front window. Made it very easy for me to load it by myself. I had loading and c connecting everything in less than 10 min. I never regretted using the dolly in 5 years. I also had a trailer ball on the back of the RAV so when I unloaded it from the dolly I could tow the dolly to my campsite.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
backroads??? wrote:
I to am a newbie to rv'ing. A auto electic shop can wire your van so you can plug it in like a boat trailer.The cost, depending on computor systems in the van was from $200./$450. It's a great way to go if the cost is not prohibative.

And you can do that your self for under $50 plus your time if you know what your doing.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

backroads___
Explorer
Explorer
I to am a newbie to rv'ing. A auto electic shop can wire your van so you can plug it in like a boat trailer.The cost, depending on computor systems in the van was from $200./$450. It's a great way to go if the cost is not prohibative.
good luck, JB

backroads___
Explorer
Explorer
I to am a newbe to the RV world. A auto electic shop can wire your van so you can plug it in like a boat trailor and have all your lights work with your mh. When I checked on the price of doing this I was told from approx. $200./$450. depending on the vehicle & computor system in the van. Be agreat way to go if it's not cost prohibative.
Good luck JB

Dune_Chasers
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful of where you run the wire for the lights. I understand you ran it through the car, however, where it touches the car going in and coming out will be rubbing on the paint. As you are driving, the wind will blow it around and scratch or put rub marks on paint. I don't know of a perfect fix, just be aware.

Secondly, check the tie down straps after the first few miles. as the car adjusts and settles the straps tend to come a little loose at times.

Always keep in mind that you can't back up! plan every turn carefully. I accidentally turned into a cul-de-sac once. Had to remove car from dolly, dolly from RV, turn around, reattach everything, then continue on my way.
2005 Fleetwood Expedition