cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

newbie tire question

DKM_Fam
Explorer
Explorer
Recently purchased a 2005 Georgie Boy with the original 10 year old Food Year 245/70R19.5 tires. I realize these are way past safe so I have started shopping around for replacements. Below is the best prices I am finding mounted, balanced, stems, etc. installed. The Dunlop tire is by far the best price. Anyone ever ran these tires on their Rigs? Any opinions on them?
michelin xze load range h is $3436.15,
goodyear g622 load range g is $2719.62
dunlop ap rib load range g is $2192.09
bfgoodrich which michelin owns and makes its the bfg st230 and they are $2582.66
Appreciate the feedback.
6 REPLIES 6

kdrsas
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased 6 245/70R19.5 Sampson tires. These are 16 ply truck tires made in china. 6 tires cost us 1450.00 mounted, balanced with balance beads, and inflated to 100 lbs. We have 3600 miles on them. They handle great with no vibration and no harder ride. Our trip took us west on I40 with temps 25 to 60 degrees and a return on I10 with temps 85 to 109 degrees. We traveled at speeds up to 75 mph. Tires look like new. I will run these again
Kevin Dodi
2000 35' Holiday Rambler Vacationeer Class A
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Blue Ox anante 2
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/dodi.carr/1/tpod.htmlBlack Lab Sam

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
bought 6 Hankooks from Les Schwab for 245.00/tire, mounted, balanced, out the door. We've put 6000 miles on them since we bought them, they work very well for us. We replaced the original Goodyears.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Add Hankook to your list..they are great at reasonable cost. Also Toyo is a perennial favorite and very popular.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Join the FMCA first, then use their Fleet Advantage program to purchase Michelin XRV tires. Not only will you save considerable money, you'll be getting tires specifically designed for an RV (thus the XRV) and running cool for highway driving. I got 10 years out of my 1st set of XRVs. The Michelin shop said they were still perfectly good when I replaced them with new. I ended up selling them on CraigsList!

Weigh your coach and use the Michelin chart to set your cold inflation pressure accordingly. That will insure even wear on your tires.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I can't offer any opinions on the tires you are considering.

You will probably get a lot of opinions on tires.

Here are a few prior posts on Tires.

I replaced the Michelin tires on our 96 Southwind with Hankook.

The Hankooks are good tires, I would buy them again.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
If your interested in Michelins you can buy them cheaper than your quoted price! Two ways #1. switching to a XRV tire from a XZE. #2. Joining FMCA, then participating in there Michelin Fleet Tire Program. I bought 6, 22.5 tires for $379.00 each. I don't know this for sure but I'm assuming the 19.5 tires would be cheaper than the 22.5.