cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbies first time out WENT GREAT

Poppa_Clay
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 1995 35' Damon Ultrasport. We took our first real trip out of state a couple of weeks ago and had a great time.
I retired after 26 years as a law enforcement instructor for the Arkansas Department of Correction and Department of Community Corrections. My DW is still working for the Department. With that in mind we decided to go to the Angola Prison Rodeo in Angola, LA.
It was Awesome. I have attended prison rodeos in Arkansas when we still did them but this one was out of this world. One of the best rodeos that I have ever attended.
My wife is over the inmate hobby craft at one of the Arkansas Prisons. They have about 2000 inmates and only 50 to 75 hobby crafters.
Angola has 5000 inmates and there must have been 700 - 800 hobby crafters selling all kinds of handmade items. From Small leatherwork and jewerly to all kinds of furniture and beautiful art. It was like a handmade fleamarket. I would reccomend this trip to anyone. They have the rodeo one weekend in the Spring and then the entire month of October. You have to get tickets because it always sells out.
From there we decided to just head South and made our way to Thibadou, La where we checked with the manager at Walmart who allowed us to spend the night in their parking lot (a shout out to the manager for allowing us to park).
The next morning we made our way to Grand Isle, LA where we stayed at the Grand Isle, State park. It was very nice and we had a wonderful time walking on the beach and picking blackberries around the campground.
The next day we headed back North and spent the night at the Lake Chicot state park near Villa Laplatte, LA. Even saw a baby alligator while we were walking by the lake.
Woke up and headed back to Arkansas. The entire trip went great! The only problem was with some high winds but we managed to stay on the road.
Oh, 90% of or trip was on two lane roads. We hit the freeways when we have no other choice.
Sorry this was so long but just wanted to share with everyone.
4 REPLIES 4

randco
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your first real trip. We hope you have many more great excursions in this beautiful country of ours.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you are old pros at camping based on your first trip out. Isn't it fun? Go every chance you get and enjoy.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Olde_Volks_Plac
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help myself SORRY !!!
So how many packs of cigs is a high quality hand made shank going for these days. and I'm sure out of 5,000 guest of the state there are many more "crafters" than are known, but only 700-800 honest artist staying at the hotel. :B
Seriously I've seen pics of really awesome work and understand some of the older works can bring serious money, it's a shame they couldn't have made it on the outside as craftsmen and be productive & contributing members of society. Well at least they aren't wasting the talent God gave them.

Well may the DW retire soon so the two of you can enjoy more time on the trail of life together.

Enjoy every day as it is a true blessing.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the RVing world! So glad you first trip was a success and wishful thinking that they'll all be. ๐Ÿ™‚ Sometimes things DO go wrong so keep that in mind with a positive attitude and you'll be fine. The rodeo sounds terrific. Now you need to get your wife retired so you can have longer trips!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel