cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newer entry level DP bunkhouses?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
After 2 years of owning a small gasser my family and I have come to better understand what we really want out of a coach. The ACE is great and no real complaints. But you get what you pay for. So a few things on the wish list are; a better ride. Small gasser does fine on smooth roads but get on a road like VA I95 and all bets are off. Way too much road feedback to the point of cringing. I want a smooth effortless ride. We want real bunks instead of the overhead drop down. I want a single bath instead of split. I want a real pull out sofa instead of a jackknife. We want a residential refer. Something a little bigger, not much maybe 35'. 2 slides at least. Lots of storage. LESS NOISE. I really want a much quieter ride. A few other things but you get the idea. The catch is we want to stay under $140k and 2009 or newer. Being a Thor fan, we really like the Palazzo 33.3. Pretty much has everything on the wish list and a price under $140k (quote from Lazy Days). Hard to beat for a brand new DP and from some reviews I have read it handles like a dream. I checked out Fleetwood excursion but no bunk model, likewise with the allegro. Pretty sure I want to go DP as I really don't think another gasser will give me the comfort, ride and lower noise I am looking for. If someone knows of a gasser that handles like a DP I would love to know. Otherwise, anyone know of any smaller entry level DP's with bunks in that range, or what to look at in a used only a few years old or any Palazzo owners that can weigh in? Thanks all.
2013 ACE 29.2
30 REPLIES 30

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
michelb wrote:
willald wrote:
One floorplan aspect I can never get past with DP motorhomes, regardless of price or any other issue, that really rules it out for us: We really, really like having a window on the back wall of the bedroom. I've yet to ever see ANY diesel pusher model that offers that. I guess it has something to do with the engine being back there, and the air intake being inside that back wall? I dunno, but it pretty much means we'll always own a gasser MH of some form.

Will

That's not only on DPs; most modern gas class As do not have rear windows.

Just looking real quick at floorplans by various manufacturers:

Fleetwood: only some models of Storm have it. The rest (Southwind, Bounder, Bounder Classic, Terra) don't
Tiffin: none have it
Newmar: none have it
Winnebago : one Sightseer has it, one Vista has it, one Adventurer has it but the rest don't (i.e. about 90% of their floorplans don't have it)
Forest River: most models have it
Thor: most models have it
Monaco: some LaPalmas and some Monarchs have it.

Welll, I'm not sure its accurate to say 'most' modern gas class A's don't have the rear window. Especially since your own list here that shows several (most FR and THOR models) do have it.

I think whether or not the back window is there on gasser MHs has much more to do with floorplan design than anything else. However, it appears with DPs that its pretty near impossible to do, regardless of floorplan design.

Hence the reason, like I said, there probably will never be a DP motorhome in our driveway. ๐Ÿ™‚

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
One floorplan aspect I can never get past with DP motorhomes, regardless of price or any other issue, that really rules it out for us: We really, really like having a window on the back wall of the bedroom. I've yet to ever see ANY diesel pusher model that offers that. I guess it has something to do with the engine being back there, and the air intake being inside that back wall? I dunno, but it pretty much means we'll always own a gasser MH of some form.

Will

That's not only on DPs; most modern gas class As do not have rear windows.

Just looking real quick at floorplans by various manufacturers:

Fleetwood: only some models of Storm have it. The rest (Southwind, Bounder, Bounder Classic, Terra) don't
Tiffin: none have it
Newmar: none have it
Winnebago : one Sightseer has it, one Vista has it, one Adventurer has it but the rest don't (i.e. about 90% of their floorplans don't have it)
Forest River: most models have it
Thor: most models have it
Monaco: some LaPalmas and some Monarchs have it.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Effy wrote:
Didn't care for the Tiffin. I know it's a Tiffin but I just didn't care for it. Looked at the Winie 35 b. nice coach. I have been pouring over reviews, you tube vids, websites, etc for several days. I keep coming back to the Palazzo despite the higher cost. It just really seems very nice for the price and has a "feel" that just seems right if that makes sense. You know when something hits you. More looking, more research...

Yep, know that 'feel'. Sounds like a Palazzo may be in your future. ๐Ÿ™‚

Will
Will and Cheryl

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't care for the Tiffin. I know it's a Tiffin but I just didn't care for it. Looked at the Winie 35 b. nice coach. I have been pouring over reviews, you tube vids, websites, etc for several days. I keep coming back to the Palazzo despite the higher cost. It just really seems very nice for the price and has a "feel" that just seems right if that makes sense. You know when something hits you. More looking, more research...
2013 ACE 29.2

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you're looking and asking about gasser bunkhouse motorhomes, you may want to also consider TIffin's Allegro 35QBA, as well as Winnebago or Itasca's bunkhouse model (can't remember the model number). There's probably a few others as well, but I can't remember them.

As far as noise goes: Like you said, can't really believe the reviews. Best thing to do is take each unit for a test drive, and decide for yourself which one(s) are quiet enough for your liking.

..Only one other very minor point, I'd like to clarify:

...all have similar wheelbases (208).

Even though all the documentation states that the Georgetown 351DS has a 208" wheelbase, as one that owns one and physically measured it, I'm here to tell you its actually a 228" wheelbase. I think Forest River got their documentation mixed up some time ago and just didn't update it. Not sure about the others, but I know for a fact our Georgetown 351DS has a 228" wheelbase.
Will and Cheryl

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
So for the sake of argument, Will brings out a good point. DP comfort comes at a price. Weighing a "better" ride, lower mpg, but almost half the cost of a DP, versus "best" ride and noise reduction and better mpg but harder hit to the pocket book. I may post another thread but right now curiosity has me sparked on a few units if anyone cares to chime in on quality, ride and noise of the following units:

Georgetown 351DS
Thor Hurricane or Windsport 33g
Thor Hurricane or Windsport 34j

All bunk models at a reasonable price but a considerable step up from my ACE. All can come with dual pane windows which I think help road noise and all have similar wheelbases (208). The 33G was just reviewed in MH magazine and they say it's squeak free with only 74db at 65 mph, but frankly all their reviews seem slanted and the all the flavor of an ad for CW.

Any input?
2013 ACE 29.2

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
...We want real bunks instead of the overhead drop down. I want a single bath instead of split. I want a real pull out sofa instead of a jackknife....a little bigger, not much maybe 35'

You are describing here almost exactly what we wanted (required) from the get-go on our first MH we bought over a year ago, and you see what we went with (see signature). I'd buy the exact same unit again, if was doing it over again.

Sounds like you are in a similar dilemma we were/are - Need bunks, would prefer somewhat newer model, but don't want to break the bank in the process (wanted to be well under $100k). That pretty much ruled out DPs of any variety for us.

Also, we haven't seen where the ride on our gasser is as bad as so many DP owners make it out to be. Ours handles great. Perhaps the longer length, wheelbase of a 36' unit vs the smaller Thor Ace unit makes a difference, I don't know. You are right, though, that a DP is in a whole different class when it comes to ride quality (but you sure PAY for that ride quality!!)

..If someone knows of a gasser that handles like a DP I would love to know..

I don't have personal experience with such, but how about a gasser MH with a complete Kelderman air suspension upgrade done to it (front and back)?

You could buy a very nice, brand spanking new 35' Gasser bunkhouse MH that'd fit all your other requirements, spend another 10k on such a suspension upgrade, and STILL would have spent waaaaay less $$ than what you're talking about spending on that Thor Palazzo DP. Might be something to think about.
Will and Cheryl

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
That Pallazo looks like a very versatile coach. I wish they had mounted the lounge tv lower and a slide out on the couch side would open it up however they have really put a lot of great features into a smaller dp which is great. The options in the bunk area are neat with the ability to have couch with tv across or turn it into closet or have a great bunk area for the times you could use a bit more sleeping space but prefer to not occupy the lounge. Curious if anyone has one and can speak about the ride and power of the smaller DP.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
michelb wrote:
wnytaxman wrote:
There are actually a fair number of bunk models out there. For slightly more than you are looking at spending right now, you can get a brand new Berkshire 390bh. You can get a used unit in the pre 2011 range for well within your budget. Other brands that have bunks also include Thor, Coachmen, Tiffin, and I believe Fleetwood has a bunk model. There is even a tag axle unit available in the Charleston, which is another Forest River product.

The OP said he'd like to stay close to his current length (30') maybe a bit bigger but no more than 35'. I believe all the ones you've listed are around 40'

Fleetwood does have a 35' Bounder Classic Diesel but it's a FRED not a DP.

Correct, defintely want to stay under 40'. I think 36 would be the max. We frequent a lot of the same places annually and I can tell you that a 40' coach would be tough. I don't want the extra weight either. One of the things I like about the newer small DP's is the lighter weights and better mileage. Some tout 15 mpg. I really don't want a FRED either. Nothing against them for those that have them, but in everything I have read you really get the best ride and noise reduction from a DP. Makes sense.
2013 ACE 29.2

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
wnytaxman wrote:
There are actually a fair number of bunk models out there. For slightly more than you are looking at spending right now, you can get a brand new Berkshire 390bh. You can get a used unit in the pre 2011 range for well within your budget. Other brands that have bunks also include Thor, Coachmen, Tiffin, and I believe Fleetwood has a bunk model. There is even a tag axle unit available in the Charleston, which is another Forest River product.

The OP said he'd like to stay close to his current length (30') maybe a bit bigger but no more than 35'. I believe all the ones you've listed are around 40'

Fleetwood does have a 35' Bounder Classic Diesel but it's a FRED not a DP.

wnytaxman
Explorer
Explorer
2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order, 2011 Berkshire 390BH traded

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
Offhand, I can't think of any other DP with bunks around 35' so I think that the Palazzo might be your only choice.

charles
Explorer
Explorer
Not a diesel, but the Winnebago Vista 35B is well within your price range for a well equipped new unit and it has a bath and a half. I bought the 35F and I drove it to Florida from Ohio twice towing a Ford Focus and had no handling issues whatsoever, it rides nice, there really isn't that much engine noice except when you get into a really high mountain and have to downshift, it is well built and in 18 months only had 3 small items to repair, otherwise perfect unit. It's a lot of coach for the money.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
A Newmar Ventana bunkhouse like ours would be perfect for you. Not many built but be patient and you'll find one.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to get close to that price on a 2009-10 Fleetwood Discovery. When I was searching for mine, I found a few in that range.