cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newer floorplan designs

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone is insulted or otherwise taken aback by this, my apologies. DW and I go to the Atlanta RV show every year to check out new designs and pre-shop for when our old Bounder may go belly up. For the past few years I have noticed a design trend that seems to be mostly prevalent in mid to high range coaches. Is it necessary to have as many as five large TV sets in a living space as small as a class A RV? It almost seems that the designers are trying to see that you can always touch one TV from another. The particular locations of some of the sets is another discussion. Are there any "amens" or "grrr...you are wrongs"?
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad
25 REPLIES 25

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Our Bounder comes with 4 if all the options are included. We tried to get a Bounder with two, but we couldn't find any on a lot. So we made do with three - two inside, one outside. We have never used the outside TV and call it our 'spare' in case one of the others breaks. It took a while to find one without the third tv inside - over the windshield. It seems to us completely unnecessary and a huge waste of space. Why would you ever watch that one, when there is a larger one at eye level 10 feet away??

BTW - our 33C has a sofa large enough to nap on...
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
AMEN....brother....I used to have three but I can't remember where I put the third one....:W...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Watch the tv commercials. "We were looking for a TV experience", "we love - just love - our direct tv", "we can't record 5 tv shows at one time...

TVs have become an addiction in this era. Really, the are 5 tv shows - all on at the same time and only at that time - so you need to be able to record ALL of them at the same time? That's just ridiculous, but people are buying this marketing.

Personally, I have no tv in my RV - and I love it that way.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
For us, one larger tv in the living area is enough, with outside hookups under the awning is quite enough. Location of the tv's in the living room are almost always in the wrong place for good viewing. I have always contented that the people designing these things don't use them.

I've noticed that many if not most of the newer units I've seen have given up on three person sofas, or sofas large enough to nap on. Many units have slides in places they are not needed just to say they have the slide.
Maybe I'll stick with my old 30q a little longer. the units I've seen all look interesting but there's always something that makes me ask "Why would they put that there, or what are they thinking?"
Another reason to re-floor and re-upholster the old Bounder.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
For us, one larger tv in the living area is enough, with outside hookups under the awning is quite enough. Location of the tv's in the living room are almost always in the wrong place for good viewing. I have always contented that the people designing these things don't use them.

I've noticed that many if not most of the newer units I've seen have given up on three person sofas, or sofas large enough to nap on. Many units have slides in places they are not needed just to say they have the slide.
Maybe I'll stick with my old 30q a little longer. the units I've seen all look interesting but there's always something that makes me ask "Why would they put that there, or what are they thinking?"
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
I will admit that I like the plans with the set at seating eye level. That said, one in the main space is enough. On a note about the kids: Every large coach that we looked at was being visited by mostly grand and great-grand parents(no kids). Most of them were in agreement and another guy brought this up and got me started. I love Tiffin and their quality but they seem to be tops at this.
Just to explain, we do watch TV a lot and live half the time in our RV. More than two seems to be overkill.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We have 5 TV's currently but 6 were an option. Our coach has several lay-out choices for the dinette where there are two stools attached to the floor with a TV built in the side cabinet for watching TV. You can watch TV during dinner or connect it to your computer if you use that space for cyber stuff. We chose the J-booth set-up so that TV was eliminated.

We have a 55" TV at the front of the coach on a lift, a smaller TV that's built in the roof of the driver's side slide that comes down on a lift for TV viewing. This one is mainly if the slides are in and you want to watch TV.

We have a small 7" monitor next to the passenger seat so that the co-pilot can watch TV or select the Navigation screen and watch what I have programed in.

We have a TV in the bedroom.

We have a 55" TV outside.

So, 5 TV's total.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my chieftain had what I consider to be the ideal living area location. it was similar to some TTs with the TV on the angle over the dinette. it could be seen from the sofa opposite, from one side of the dinette, and the passenger seat was a recliner that swiveled around and could view the TV.
My first two MHs had the standard centered over the dashboard which truthfully sort of sucked.
bumpy

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
tommy g wrote:
If anyone is insulted or otherwise taken aback by this, my apologies. DW and I go to the Atlanta RV show every year to check out new designs and pre-shop for when our old Bounder may go belly up. For the past few years I have noticed a design trend that seems to be mostly prevalent in mid to high range coaches. Is it necessary to have as many as five large TV sets in a living space as small as a class A RV? It almost seems that the designers are trying to see that you can always touch one TV from another. The particular locations of some of the sets is another discussion. Are there any "amens" or "grrr...you are wrongs"?

thank-you!! there is no need for more than 1 TV in the living space and another in the bedroom. we've seen coaches with two in the living space. why? and the TV's in the living space are sometimes oriented so that it cannot be seen from one chair or even the couch. I say put the TV back where it was...up between the pilot and co-pilot chairs.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
I'll give you a tentative "Amen." Unfortunately, it seems the builders are responding to the buyers.

Ever watch one of those RV shows like "RV 2015" or whatever? As the buyers are going through the coaches it's all about the small TVs here for the kids, the big one there, the one in the outside entertainment cabinet. Very little dialog about the chassis, infrastructure, etc. It's the kids oohing and aahing over the TVs, the guy checking out if the shower is tall enough, the wife is looking at the kitchen, and then a price discussion.

Maybe it's what it takes to get new buyers out of their homes... show they can have all the electronics etc they are used to having at home out on the road. Doesn't seem to be much about enjoying the outdoors, at least on those shows.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Tommy....Typically, coaches come with only two or three. Many times, the show coaches have a lot of options on them so people can see what's available and are wowed by the goodies.

We bought our coach new last year. The basic TV arrangement was one in the bedroom and one in the living room. My dealer likes the one over the dash and the outside unit, so any coach he orders for his lot have four TV's.

We laughed at the number our coach came with, but found the optional TV (40") over the dash was better suited for watching TV when it was just the two of us. When we have company over to watch a show or movie, the TV (46") on a televator is best. We've never had an outside TV, but have found it useful for movie night with the grandkids and sports when the adults are outside.

The funny part, in a year of ownership, we've never turned on the bedroom TV. We're not bedroom TV people. So these coaches are being set up for different life and viewing styles.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab