cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No 50 AMP on shore power

jswat
Explorer
Explorer
A new problem for me, I can only get 30 AMP coming into my coach even though I am connected to a 50 AMP OUTLET. The outlet checks good with my multimeter. When I switch to the genset I have full power. Could this be a failure of the transfer switch? I have the IOTA ITS-50R switch. My coach is a 2004 HR Ambassador.
39 REPLIES 39

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
1. Doubt the Transfer switch is bad. It is extremely rare for a transfer switch to only close 1 leg of power.
2. Your EMS senses the OUT OF PHASE 2 -120 legs of power. IF those 2 legs are on the same phase, the EMS assumes you have 30 amp service
3. VERIFY that you have double the line voltage between the 2- 120 legs at the 50 amp service pole(3 and 9 position). IF NOT, you do not have 50 amp service. But, "Cheated" 50 amp service. Cheated is a 50 amp breaker on the same phase supplying ONLY power on a 50 amp breaker and not a TOTAL of 100 amps which is true 50 amp service
4. EMS systems do not have to be "set" to 50 amp service. It is Automatic when connected to true 50 amp service. You cannot even change to 30 or 20 if on 50 amp service.
Do these tests and post. Doug

My Intellitec EMS sytem has a button on the left side to allow me to select 30 or 20 amp service, even if I am plugged in to 50 amp service.

From the EMS manual. Doug

NOTE When connected to 50Amp-240VAC service the Energy Management features of the unit are disabled and the Unit switches all controlled loads"ON".

Besides, if ON 50 amp serviced(100 amps) WHY WOULD YOU WANT OR BE ABLE TO SET 30 0R 20 AMPS????????????????

Good point BUT why did the manufacturer put the button there to switch input. Before I posted I went to my panel and I can push the button and change to a lesser input power than what I am connected to. Apparently the manufacturer had some reason to do this. If it is all automatic, no push button would ever be needed.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. The recall for certain transfer switches had nothing to do with the design of the Switches. It had to do with correctly securing the power wires to the switch connections. Incorrectly torqued wires cause fires. The connections were made by the OEM
2.When on Genset, THE ONLY THING TELLING THE EMS THAT THE GENSET IS ON LINE IS A 12 VOLT FEED SIGNAL WIRE FROM THE GENSET HOURMETER. NOTHING else. Gensets are NOT 50 amp supply appliances. They supply 47 to 68 amps(depending on the model) of supply and are single phase Gensets. 10k and 12.5 k gensets are true 2 phase gensets and supply 97 to 104 amps of power.
3.The OP has never stated what his voltage IS between the 2 hot legs. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
delete double post

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
usersmanual wrote:
yes I know and that's why I as you have asked the OP to meter across the 120V outs and make sure hes got 240V BUT what If he does have 240V then whats your opinions as to what is complaint is caused by?
My understanding and may be wrong is the EMS works on generater or SP
does it not?
No need to cover all possibilities. If the supply is correct, the EMS has an issue.

The idea is to verify if the supply is the issue or does the RV need to go in for service.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rgatijnet1 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
1. Doubt the Transfer switch is bad. It is extremely rare for a transfer switch to only close 1 leg of power.
2. Your EMS senses the OUT OF PHASE 2 -120 legs of power. IF those 2 legs are on the same phase, the EMS assumes you have 30 amp service
3. VERIFY that you have double the line voltage between the 2- 120 legs at the 50 amp service pole(3 and 9 position). IF NOT, you do not have 50 amp service. But, "Cheated" 50 amp service. Cheated is a 50 amp breaker on the same phase supplying ONLY power on a 50 amp breaker and not a TOTAL of 100 amps which is true 50 amp service
4. EMS systems do not have to be "set" to 50 amp service. It is Automatic when connected to true 50 amp service. You cannot even change to 30 or 20 if on 50 amp service.

My Intellitec EMS sytem has a button on the left side to allow me to select 30 or 20 amp service, even if I am plugged in to 50 amp service.

From the EMS manual. Doug

NOTE When connected to 50Amp-240VAC service the Energy Management features of the unit are disabled and the Unit switches all controlled loads"ON".

Besides, if ON 50 amp serviced(100 amps) WHY WOULD YOU WANT OR BE ABLE TO SET 30 0R 20 AMPS????????????????

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
do you people even read the posts?? He clarified the problem
How could it be the EMS if it works perfectly on generator power

He says he can run 2 AC on generator but not on shore power
he says all service/outlets work both ways
his complaint as stated is he has to shut off(example) the HWH
when on shore power to run two AC units but everything works 100% on generator

EMS is registering 30 amp service. Typically a 30 amp adapter will connect both hots of the RV to the single hot of the 30 amp supply. This has zero volts between L1 & L2 in the RV. The EMS is cutting out various loads (normal load shed) because it thinks only 30 amp supply is available. Power would still be available to all items until the total exceeds the 30 amps when the EMS starts limiting.

Turn on the generator and the EMS knows it has full generator power.

So the first issue to verify is if the L1 & L2 of the pedestal has 240 (or 208) volts. Some are not wired properly. The specifics of the supply testing were not given.

yes I know and that's why I as you have asked the OP to meter across the 120V outs and make sure hes got 240V BUT what If he does have 240V then whats your opinions as to what is complaint is caused by?
My understanding and may be wrong is the EMS works on generater or SP
does it not?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
usersmanual wrote:

EMS is registering 30 amp service. Typically a 30 amp adapter will connect both hots of the RV to the single hot of the 30 amp supply. This has zero volts between L1 & L2 in the RV. The EMS is cutting out various loads (normal load shed) because it thinks only 30 amp supply is available. Power would still be available to all items until the total exceeds the 30 amps when the EMS starts limiting.

Turn on the generator and the EMS knows it has full generator power.

So the first issue to verify is if the L1 & L2 of the pedestal has 240 (or 208) volts. Some are not wired properly. The specifics of the supply testing were not given.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
smkettner wrote:
jswat wrote:
The outlet checks good with my multimeter.
Just verify for us that you measured 240 volts between L1 & L2.

That is the proper way to describe it. I love the two legs of 120 description. I knew this was going to turn out to be another ( I know more than you post).

most anyone with even 1/2 a notion would fully understand

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Perhaps your Energy Management System is not set for 50 amps.

that's also what I was thinking but the OP needs to clarify the problem. but in addition if all of the appliances are working but some of the outlets are not then I'd check for a tripped GFI outlet.

Like I First suggested earlier he needs to double check across the 120V outs and make sure theres 240V there

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
jswat wrote:

That is the proper way to describe it. I love the two legs of 120 description. I knew this was going to turn out to be another ( I know more than you post).
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
hanko wrote:
with your voltage tester, check to see if you have 230 volts between phases at the park pedestal, if you do, the problem is inside the coach. Possible a transfer switch issue or a bad two pole 50 amp breaker in the panel

the OP CLEARLY said he has correct voltage at park supply

he said no such thing, re read it
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
The IOTA transfer switch is a known failure point. In fact it was recalled, but when it was Monaco had already closed it's doors. Most Monaco brand owners have changed the transfer switch to avoid the fires they were recalled for.

Even if the transfer switch isn't the problem, change it.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Perhaps your Energy Management System is not set for 50 amps.

that's also what I was thinking but the OP needs to clarify the problem. but in addition if all of the appliances are working but some of the outlets are not then I'd check for a tripped GFI outlet.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
jswat wrote:

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote: