Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shock recommendation

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy,
Looking for new shock recommendation. 2002 Ford E350 V10 with 2003 Winnebago 24V on top of it. Original Ford Shocks, Firestone air bags. Worn leaf springs 70k miles. Considering Monroe Gasmatic RV that have assist springs on the shock itself. Interested in all comments/suggestions/discussion. Thank You
5 REPLIES 5

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Super Springs. I put them on my Ford chassis.
They also improve the cornering.

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer

Koni FSD ... no question ... transformative

2007 Gulf Stream 6211 (21' Shorty) Ford E350 V10
sometimes with #14 Racecar (18' KwikLoad Rollback)
sometimes with two gaited horses (Featherlite 9407)
sometimes just us camping with our dogs

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
tarnold wrote:
I put Monroe magnums on the front of my 1997. Driver side is a real bear getting on if like mine. Some folks I know cut a hole in the fender well under the hood to go straight down to get access to the top nut. Just no swing room for an open end wrench

I've got a fix for that:
Set frame on stands and remove wheels
Support lower control arm with floor jack
Disconnect LOWER shock mount
Remove spring retainer clip (10mm socket) at top of coil spring
Lower floor jack to drop spring away from shock and frame
Lift spring out of lower pocket and set aside
Please box wrench on upper shock nut
Use open end wrench on hex on shock shaft, below the mounting bushings, and unscrew shock from upper nut - easy with spring removed - allows room for wrench
Install shock top first, then spring, then raise axle, then fasten spring clip, then fasten lower shock mount
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your question reminds me of "Smokey and the Bandit" where Bandit takes more and more money saying "Faster than That."

Whatcha wanna spend? Many like GasMatics. More like Bilstein. A growing list likes Koni FSD. One Koni FSD probably costs as much as a set of four Monroes or a pair of Bilsteins.

"overload" shocks aren't likely to handle the weight of the rear of an RV for all that long or all that far. Your airbags are better for that.

When Rock (rockhillmanor) looks at this thread he'll tell you there's no substitute for replacing the rear springs. Says it'll solve sag and ease ride harshness. I'm sure he's right, but I'm not aware of many OP's who go to all that unless the spring is broken or severely sagged.

A number of us have done shock changes and upgrades. Others have worked with springs and air bags.

Now if your FRONT springs are sagged, those in-the-spring air bags don't help enough to be worth doing. Calls for replacement, and I'd suggest looking at SuperSprings.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
I put Monroe magnums on the front of my 1997. Driver side is a real bear getting on if like mine. Some folks I know cut a hole in the fender well under the hood to go straight down to get access to the top nut. Just no swing room for an open end wrench