cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

norcold 1200 refrigerator

pjs25
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition with the norcold 1200 frige . I am looking for a residential style unit to replace it . I have had no luck finding one that will fit, if anybody out there has done this would you let me know what unit you used. Thanks

Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, post in the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
7 REPLIES 7

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer

This is the installation in my 2007 Discovery.I had to remove the entry door of the coach, but not the door frame. Sure don't miss the old 1200!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thought I’d found one...Whirlpool 21 cuft but it ended up 1/2” to tall as the 1200 was against the ceiling. Had to bring it in through the drivers window. Only mistake was not getting rid of the 1200 sooner.
More info HERE
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll find most residential fridges will require some minor cabinet work and whether or not it will pass thru the door is coach specific. I installed a Samsung RF197 and once I removed the passenger seat I was able to carry it in with a friend with no problems. Regardless of the effort, IMO it is well worth the time and expense. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Check out JC Refrigeration. I'm going to do this when the time comes. You replace your gas/electric ammonia system to a compressor unit. You still use the same box you have. It's less expensive than buying a new gas/electric cooling unit. Cost
$895.00 AC compressor or $1095.DC Compressor with $300 factory install. Looks like a simple install and I would do it myself.

Here's their website.

Three options to upgrade your 4-door 1200-series Norcold

Option #1: New Cooling Unit
Converts your existing fridge to a residential fridge (which eliminates your LP gas). This cooling unit is built with a compressor system and not only do you get to keep your same fridge and controls you are used to, but there is no need to remove the windshield or window to get the old fridge out and the new in – nor the hassle of cutting or redoing the cabinets to make a new fridge fit. Also there is no need to have the coach perfectly level for the fridge. It pulls less than 1 Amp and will run off a 1000W inverter (does not require pure sine wave). This unit is coated with a corrosion/rust preventive paint, and is very user-friendly to work on in the field should it ever need repair in the future. It is designed to withstand hot/humid temps and will keep your ice-cream hard. Comes with a 3-year warranty. See our easy DIY install video or have it factory installed.

Option #2: Upgraded Gas/Electric Hybrid
Upgraded with a double absorber versus single, this unit will bring you double cooling capacity, meaning it will withstand hot humid conditions and your ice cream will be rock hard for the first time. The boiler is designed for faster cooling turnaround and thicker boiler tubing to eliminate the leak factor many Norcolds have. Easy to install for the DIYs (see our install video) comes with a high corrosion /rust preventive paint and its warranty is covered for 3 years with an optional extended 3-year for $125.

Option #3: Upgraded Gas/Electric – Helium Charged
It has the same upgrades as Option #2, but it is charged with Helium versus Hydrogen thus making it a safety feature (non-explosive). It operates the same and has the same cooling capacity. Being a more labor intensive unit to build, it cost $200 more than option #2 and comes with the same 3-year warranty.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
By removing the norcold doors it was removed through the entrance door after removing the passenger seat. My refer is on the drivers side with a thin wall on the right side next to dinning table. Removed that wall as all it did was cover the unfinished refer side. Fabricated a platform of 1" angle iron bolt down through the floor. Installed a 23.5 cu.ft. Samsung side by side water and ice thru the door. Again removing the doors is required. Samsung does not require a pure sine wave inverter and does not void warranty by installing in RV. PM me if you would like more detailed installation info.
Blessings; Keith
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same RV. 2005 Expedition.. 1200 fridge died.

I couldn’t find a residential that would go thru the door and I wasn’t going to mess with taking the windshield out..

I went with the Amish unit which works better than the factory unit.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.