cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norcold Frig

camp104
Explorer
Explorer
My Norcold 1200 seires has 2 fans in the back. Only one fan comes on and the frig is not cooling very good. Have it set on #9 and only can get it to 53 degrees. Does anyone know if the fans are wired separately or together? I would think that if one goes on the other should also go on. TOM
9 REPLIES 9

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Doug and Cassi Glass wrote:
My two fans are mounted side by side about half way up the back of the fridge. The only way to get to them is slide the fridge out. I watched the rv repairman change my cooling unit in Dec. They look like two 4" computer fans mounted side by side.

Just for info the unit was $2100.00 installed.

I ALWAYS tell a customer that IF I have to pull the refer to either change the cooling unit or do anything with the fans and the unit is over 5 years old, to REPLACE the fans and fan tstat. Since you have the unit pulled already, it is very wise to replace those parts as a preventative measure. There is NOTHING worse than pulling a refer and then 6 months later, the customer shows up with defective fans or fan tstat and you have to tell him it will be another $250 labor charge to pull and fix and reinstall. I also always when I pull a 1200, run a 2 wire jump wire from the fan tstat wires down the back to the rear of the refer to test Fan function manually if there is ever a problem and can also make the fans run by bypassing the fan tstat. Doug

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Instead of removing the refer to fix the one dead fan, you might want to do this:

This fan came from Radio Shack and I used the connector that came with it as a switch.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
My two fans are mounted side by side about half way up the back of the fridge. The only way to get to them is slide the fridge out. I watched the rv repairman change my cooling unit in Dec. They look like two 4" computer fans mounted side by side.

Just for info the unit was $2100.00 installed.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Our refer is in a slide out and I suspect yours is too. To access the fans you remove the upper vent cover. The fans should both be on. This is a problem I have had too. The fans are simple computer fans. I added two more on the bottom because we camp in direct sun when it gets over 100. When one of mine died the temps went to 43. Be sure you are level too.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
Question? Do you have to remove the cover on the roof to gain access to the fans. I really can't see mine by removing the rear access cover.
Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both should be on as there is only one Tstat for turning them on.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
With 1 fan, you should still get below 45 degrees if the outside ambient is NOT over 80 degrees. The fans are wired together. If 1 works the other should also. You have to pull the refer to check/replace/verify. IF the unit is over 5 years old, and you pull the refer, replace BOTH fans AND the Fan tstat on the condensor fins. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
They are controlled by on 'thermostat sensor' mounted on fin of condenser.
Power Board supplies 12V DC to thermo switch and when closed (~130*F) supplies power to the fans. Thermo switch opens at approx. 115*F

If one is working and one is not.....check that non-working fan has 12V DC, check the wiring connections OR fan could just be bad.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
I think they're wired separately. Look around the back of the fridge from the outside access area. Do you see any yellow or yellowish green stains anywhere? If so, ammonia leak and new cooling unit is the only fix. Also, look closely at the exhaust stack above the burner and tubing around it. If it isn't all round you have a problem.

The above really isn't related to the fans but good place to start looking for lack of cooling.

Doug Rainer will check in I imagine. He's a certified rv master tech do he'll have the right scoop for sure.

A call to Norcold will also get you an answer.