cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Of course I broke it... skylight

Usmcsousa
Explorer
Explorer
Well whilst removing my shower surround to replace with a nice new white one, I threw the corner of the shower plastic up and through the bubble skylight..
now As you may have guessed, its time to replace it.
Couple of questions, firstly Im seeing two pieces to these things online, as far as I can tell I only had an outer plastic dome piece. What is this inner piece and do I need it? I have a decorative framed box on the inside .
secondly and more importantly to my wallet... Are these things really $100+ for each piece, inner and outer(if needed)
I mean its a flimsy bubble of plastic dome at 14x22inches.. I'm tempted to just get a clear thick section of Plexiglas which would be far more durable. And machine it on a table router to make my flange and gasket/ seal it as I would a dome piece..
any suggestions? Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places and I can actually pay a good price for an imported thin piece of plastic rubbish..
thanks in advance folks.
Home is where the Marine Corps sends me.
9 REPLIES 9

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you plan on making it yourself, use Lexan instead of Plexiglas. Lexan can be machined, bent in a metal brake, drilled, and will not break if hit with an object.
The use of two pieces was probably to act as a thermo barrier to prevent the shower from getting too hot in the Summer and too cold in the Winter.

Usmcsousa
Explorer
Explorer
mobilefleet wrote:
paiod $65 for mine on ebay and that was both pieces. same size as OP

thanks for the tip, just ordered a clear one for $35 including shipping.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure why the builders use double. Usually the top is clear and the inner is frosted for modesty. At a minimum I would replace the top and if you want privacy sand it with 600 grit of so. Even better would be a heavy tin to reduce the heat load. The hard part is building out the lower half to cover the area between the ceiling and roof. Shouldn't be very hard since you know what a router is.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Usmcsousa
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Usmcsousa wrote:
Well whilst removing my shower surround to replace with a nice new white one, I threw the corner of the shower plastic up and through the bubble skylight..

I'm left wondering WHY you would do that....:h....:W..Dennis

must have doubled up on my vitamins M,A+N this morning.
spent the good part of an hour with some choice words directed at myself, and wondering why exactly I did that.
happens a lot im afraid.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Usmcsousa wrote:

I'm left wondering WHY you would do that....:h....:W..Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my shower skylight. The original was a double domed skylight. The two domes were sealed together. When I got the new one it was in two pieces. The outer dome and the inner dome that was mounted on the inside. Un fortunately the inner dome had the wrong dimensions. The outer dome fit perfectly. So I now have a single dome skylight in the shower.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Usmcsousa
Explorer
Explorer
RogerComm wrote:
I jus replaced mine after the southeastern ice storm. A pine limb fell on the roof and cracked the outer dome. Mine was quite a bit larger though, a neo-angle with 32" sides. The inner was ok but it was kind of hard to get the two pieces apart since they were stuck together with butyl tape. The manufacturers usual use the skylight to allow for more headroom so that is why they are domed. If you don't need the extra headroom, then don't see why you couldn't try a flat piece of plastic, just get something that is highly UV resistant.

definitely no issue with head room, for the "bubble" to even work for added head room, my face would be in a box in the ceiling, which would NOT work for showering lol. I'll check eBay, but if not I may just go get some UV pelxi or even do an inner and outer thing-a-magig with my inner plexi tinted and outer flanged and flush to the roof.

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
paiod $65 for mine on ebay and that was both pieces. same size as OP

RogerComm
Explorer
Explorer
I jus replaced mine after the southeastern ice storm. A pine limb fell on the roof and cracked the outer dome. Mine was quite a bit larger though, a neo-angle with 32" sides. The inner was ok but it was kind of hard to get the two pieces apart since they were stuck together with butyl tape. The manufacturers usual use the skylight to allow for more headroom so that is why they are domed. If you don't need the extra headroom, then don't see why you couldn't try a flat piece of plastic, just get something that is highly UV resistant.
Roger & Denae
W4OHX
FMCA 334124

2004 Monaco Camelot 40PST
Lexus LX-470 Toad
Blue Ox/Brake Buddy