cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old class c vs New class c

Tannerwilliams
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently looking for a class c motorhome and I have come across an interesting dilemma. I have found a 1976 Ford Cobra. The odometer says 38,000 but is only a five digit odometer. The cab is super clean and everything looks good. I also found a 1992 Chevy motorhome, with 113,000 miles. My question is, is it better to go with the newer one with (assuming) higher miles or an older one with lower? I have worked on old car and understand the plethora of problems one can run into, I mainly just don't want to purchase an older class c and have some mechanical issues but I feel the same thing could happen with a newer one at 113,000 miles. Any recommendations, is it all fairly subjective?
11 REPLIES 11

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
One item to consider about the Cobra. Does it have a grey water tank? Back in the 70's some campers only had black water tanks and the grey water just drained out on the ground. Yes its's true folks I had 2 of them like that. If it does not have a grey water tank, the entire vehicle may be less usable for you.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If you do not have the many skills. tools and help, you may wind up spending a lot of money on repairs and upgrades to make an old rig safe to drive with most appliances, roof AC and furnace working properly. If your intentions are to camp close to home and put up with stuff not working, water damage, etc. you may be happy with an oldie. Old rigs tend to be under-powered and prone to overheat pulling grades on hot days. Old tires on RV's are unsafe regardless of tread depth and appearance. You might be money ahead to hold off, save money and buy a newer rig. We learned the hard way!!

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
especially check for dry rotted tires. A set of 6 tires these days could set you back close to $1500.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
From my perspective, I looked at class Cs - 2000 and back:

Either choice is going to require work - especially at that price range. How much and where the work is needed is dependent upon the individual RV - mileage, age, brand, etc., will really have nothing to do with what has gone/will go wrong. MPG won't be that much different between the two (unless engine issues have affected one).

Get a quality mechanic to check out both engines. Test all appliances (stove, fridge, heater, water heater, etc.) on all systems (propane, electric, 12v). Go with the RV with the best engine quality (don't want to be broken down on the side of the road).

Appliances going bad can be worked around until you can afford to get them fixed. For example, if the stove goes out, get a camp stove to bide you over; if the heater goes out, get a Mr. Buddy.; and so on (if you'll have electrical hookups, then you can use microwave, electric frypan, electric heater, etc.). If the engine goes bad - you either fix it now or you're stranded.

Water leaks - yes, old RVs are subject to water leaks. Check it out thoroughly for major damage and plan on sealing every seam before the next rainy season. Each season thereafter, check for cracks, holes in the sealing before the first rain, and check for any leaks after the first rain - at the first sign of either, re-seal.

Get all rubber checked out (fuel lines, belts, hoses, etc.), including propane lines for leaks. Plan on replacing tires asap.

I have a 75 American Clipper. I LOVE it and wouldn't trade it for the world. If I had come here before buying it, I very likely would have been scared off by the "it's too old". Yes, I've had to do work to it - engine work mostly. The fridge is original and (knock on wood) still works great! The heater had a propane leak - I had the propane shut off from it and don't use it, I can repair later if I choose to. The stove/oven is original and (knock on wood) still works great! The water heater was replaced at some point before I bought the RV and (knock on wood) works great. Battery charger died (but converter portion works fine), so I had a PD charger/converter added and hooked up only the charger side (why pay for the extra re-wiring at that point). At this point, it runs and works great (knock on wood). I LOVE my RV.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Tannerwilliams
Explorer
Explorer
Rick, they're are both very similar in price, $3,500 area. Thanks for the info everyone. This is also going to be my home, so all the appliances will get used more often than usual.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
IMO, for rigs this old mileage is almost irrelevant. The 1992 offers much better engine technology, but the biggest factor in RVs that are 20+ years old is the condition of the coach portion. You could have a 1976 model with the coach in great shape (unlikely) and a '92 that was a basket case.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 92 Class C - Ford E350. It's in excellent shape with no leaks etc because I taped the seams with Eternabond and otherwise keep on top of things. I personally would be very leery of anything from 1976 - whatever you choose I suggest you have the rig pressure tested to discover whether it has leak issues (cost about $125).
Kevin

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the newer one.
Newer is likely fuel injected which means better gas mileage. Newer means more modern appliances, more likely still work, work better, and easier to get parts for.

Unless you just like the look and feel of the older style. Gas mileage will be worse but if you are not putting a lot of miles on it, that is not an issue. Fridge will likely be an issue. Furnace probably ok. Water heater? Paint it up and make it your own ;-).

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tannerwilliams,

I can't address your comparison directly, but I do know that in the mid-70's the auto manufacturers were slapping all sorts of emission control devices on vehicles without much regard to mileage, power or engine longevity. The end result is that available power was minimal, even for larger engines. Overdrive transmissions, I don't believe, were very common. By the early 90's, in my opinion, I think the engines were generally more reliable & ran cleaner with fewer pollution control devices as computers & fuel injection came on the scene, and overdrive transmissions were common. Not sure about '92 Chevy's though.

To be honest, I think 2oldman is correct in that there is a good chance both may have had water issues.

Just out of curiosity, what are they asking for each?

Good Luck in your decision.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
I will second 2oldman's concern about leaking. Also RV's pull a lot of weight. I would think you would want a RV with fuel injection and a overdrive trans.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What frightens me more than mechanical problems is water leakage. They're both pretty old and chances are good they've leaked.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman