cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older Class C with 350 Chevy Engine?

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi folks, I have found an older (1979) C class Midas 23 ft motorhome that I can get for a reasonable price that has a 350 Chevy engine in it.
If there are any of you that have experience with this rig I would like to hear you input on it. It has around 60k miles on it.
Anything in particular to watch out for?
Thanks in advance.
Downsizing 🙂
19 REPLIES 19

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
IMO you should be more concerned with the condition of the house portion. While the engine, transmission and chassis condition are important, in that vintage parts should be readily available and not too expensive. On the other hand, leakage and rot in the house portion can quickly add up to a basket-case money pit.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Ballenxj wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
With that low mileage my first question would be how long it has sat in one place?

IMHO run don't walk away from any MH that has been sitting sinking into the ground. WAY too many problems and not worth any low price. JMHO.

Thanks for the advice. To elaborate on the sitting, I talked to the guy over the phone and he uses it every weekend when they have an event as he and his son race motocross.
I'm betting he has already addressed most issues.
I'm just hoping that if there is anything in particular I should be aware of, maybe someone will chime in.
Anyway, I have a friend going out to inspect it for me before I buy to ensure it is mechanically sound.

Good, sounds like it might be a great deal for you. Most of us who do sporting events regularly every weekend with our MH's do tend to pay attention to details and take care of all maintenance issues regularly. because of how often we use them. I wouldn't think twice about buying a MH with offer 100,000 miles on it from a fellow sporting event camper! :B

Good Luck! Hope it turns out to be just the right new to you MH.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
With that low mileage my first question would be how long it has sat in one place?

IMHO run don't walk away from any MH that has been sitting sinking into the ground. WAY too many problems and not worth any low price. JMHO.

Thanks for the advice. To elaborate on the sitting, I talked to the guy over the phone and he uses it every weekend when they have an event as he and his son race motocross.
I'm betting he has already addressed most issues.
I'm just hoping that if there is anything in particular I should be aware of, maybe someone will chime in.
Anyway, I have a friend going out to inspect it for me before I buy to ensure it is mechanically sound.
Downsizing 🙂

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long has it been sitting and how handy are you at basic maintenance and hand tools? Tell us about the unit. The 350 engine is a plus.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.