Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oldest Class C with bunkhouse

True_Romance
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We are looking at selling our 27' hybrid TT and getting a class C. We have 3 kids and I really want a bunk house slide out. I know they are rare but they do exist. I am searching the whole west coast for a used one. Does anyone know what years the Class C bunkhouse models first started appearing? Any model names for me to look for? It does not matter if it is a single or double bunk. I really would like a designated bed for my daughter that is not a couch or dinette conversion. My boys would be sleeping in the above cab bunk.

TIA.
10 REPLIES 10

lowreyfarris
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Sunseeker 3170 DS, it is a bunk model. I spent about a year researching and shopping before I bought it. This was my 2nd class C, so I had a check list.

The main reason I chose the Sunseeker is for the fiberglass roof. My last RV had the rubber roof that had to be replaced after driving under a low hanging tree branch, about $3,000. I think the fiberglass can be repaired much more easily, and is less likely to have problems with leaking. I also like that there is no front window in the cabover, another spot that leaks seem to form. Water leakage is my biggest fear.

Some of the smaller details I like are:
The waste dump valves are enclosed, the outside storage was much better than others, there is a TV in the bunk area, the bottom bunk folds up into a couch, the placement of the cabover TV, and the over all finish on the Sunseeker was much nicer than anything in the price range. I am super happy with the 3170.
2013 Sunseeker 3170DS
1999 Jeep Wrangler

Mike_Leslie
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at a Winnebago Minnie that had bunkbeds and the cab over bed. It was Class C and I think it was 31 ft, around year 2005 +-
It was near Greenville, Michigan
Mike Leslie

Wildeflowers
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rvtrader.com/New-and-Used-Jayco-GREYHAWK-RVs-for-Sale----RVTrader.com/search-results?condition=U&make=Jayco|2272274&model=GREYHAWK|764841884&schemecode=AD&trim=31FS|12608&vrsn=hybrid&

Not sure what your budget is. Closest are in UT and TX.

Also, here's a Winnebago in TX. Pretty nice. I'd like this one myself.
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2010-Winnebago-Access-31J-112446770

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
We saw a Forest River Sunseeker when we were looking for a MH. Model 3170DS. It was a 2014, 2 slides with bunks along the side, 32' long. Don't know what year it was first made.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure I saw some Winnebago floor plans with slide-out bunk beads also.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

True_Romance
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Michael, your model is exactly what I am looking for. None currently for sale on the west coast that I can find. Looks like 2009 was when they started making the 31FS. I appreciate the help everyone.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our Jayco Greyhawk 31FS has 2 bunks on the bedroom slide with the "master" bedroom behind the bunks, separated by a pocket door. Ours is a 2009, not sure what the first model year the Greyhawk had bunks.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bunkhouses started showing up in C's when they got long enough to have rear bedrooms, late '70s maybe. Options included queen, twins, four bunks, but mostly rental companies bought twins or bunks.

This was long before a set of bunkbeds in a slideout, which were starting to show up in A gassers about 2004-05 and larger Cs a year or two later.

Other than Cs, bunkhouse arrangements were in Winnebago A types late 60s or early 70s, usually at 22' or longer, when the market was still mostly family travel rather tha long term housing for older couples.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

True_Romance
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply The Bear II. We already have a bunkhouse model TT we are looking to switching to a Class C. I have seen some models around 2007 that have a double bunk slide out, a rear bedroom, and the above cab bunk, so sleep 6 without any conversions. That is what we are looking for. Just curious if there are any models that are around a 2005 or so.

We are tired of towing, that is what we want to switch to a MH.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Bunk bed models in RVs started showing up in the late 70's most manufacturers had some sort of bunk bed offering.

You might have better luck in finding a Class A or TT with bunk beds. Due to the overhead bed, most Class C's didn't have room for a parents bed and bunk bed setup.

In my opinion a Toy Hauler would be the best RV for families. The garage area provides flexible space to carry toys (biks,atvs,dirt bikes, kayaks...etc). It then can be converted into living space once you unload the toys. Most come with beds that lower from the ceiling or flip down from the sides. Some even come with a half garage and the other half a kids bedroom. Tow it with a crewcab pickup or suburban type vehicle for passenger comfort. The tow vehicle provides a way to get around to sight see once you arrive at your destination.