cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan diesel 5500 generator oil leak

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
So we bought a used dp this last winter with a diesel onan generator. Generator and coach fairly new. Generator had 15 hrs on when we bought it. We have used it a ton so far this summer and changed oil last weekend. Prior to oil change it was starting to leak oil saw drips about 150 hr mark. I changed oil out before our big trip to Grand Canyon and degreased everything I could spray and rinse with water. It still had a few drips under it with it not running I figured was residue from prior. On trip now and it's dripping again from front right below the fill tube area and blowing back by panel near the oil filter. I know filter is not leaking verified before i put panel back on and that is way back from where majority of drips are from. Anyone else have similar leak and tell me what they did to fix?
Thanks for input
4 REPLIES 4

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Best to only use ONAN filters, oil, etc.

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
It had a factory filter on it and leaked and now it has a napa one

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
We had a small leak on our Onan. It has way more hours on it though. Hubby tightened the drain pipe and put some teflon tape on it. It hasn't leaked since (knock on wood) He always uses Onan oil and filters.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Question. What oil filter do you use? I had a whole lot less problems using an Onan oil filter. They have a pressure regulator in the filter. It helps with over pressure.