cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan EC-30 Auto Start

k9dad
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a 2011 Fleetwood Southwind. Have always had concerns about leaving dogs in motorhome during hot days. I have had several conversations with dealer and other rv'ers about adding an "auto start" to my system. This would turn on the generator in the event of a power failure. Dogs would have air and all would be safe. The problem with this, is that the generator in my motorhome requires me to "prime it" before starting. Any suggestions,experiences and knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I do not have a great deal of RV experience (3 yrs.) and would welcome any help.
3 REPLIES 3

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
We used the EC-30W on our 2001 Adventurer with the Onan 5500 watt generator. If we didn't use the generator for an extended period of time it did need to be primed. However after it had been run for a while it started easily for a couple weeks without the prime. One nice feature of the auto start is that according to the manual it will only crank the starter for 15 seconds then give it a couple minute break to avoid overheating it.

I would start your generator in the usual manner, let it run for a while then shut it down. The next day I would try starting it without priming it. If you're successful the EC-30W should be able to start it without any problems.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
It the genset is an Onan, their EC30W AGS should work. Easy to install. The most difficult task is finding a 110v outlet that is not connected to your inverter.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever tried to start your gen without priming it first?
Kevin