cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan Generator 4000

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
My Onan Generator is not starting.I hear clicking noise but did not start.What could be the problem.
27 REPLIES 27

Aussie_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Check all the grounding from the coach battery - we had this problem a month to six weeks ago and found that the grounding of the vehicle was not good as the connection to the chassis was not tight via the bolt.

Our works like a charm now.

Aussie_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Check all the grounding from the coach battery - we had this problem a month to six weeks ago and found that the grounding of the vehicle was not good as the connection to the chassis was not tight via the bolt.

Our works like a charm now.

loneryder
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, my 4000 was hard to start from new. In the 2nd year it wouldn't start at all. It was still under warranty so I took it to an Onan repair center. They dropped it down and found a loose wire to the starter. It was loose from the factory and just looser as time went by. They couldn't see it until they dropped the generator.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
That usually is not a practical solution

I should have clarified that I would take out the Onan 4K and use my Honda 3K for those things with a big draw.As my Class C sits now, it has only one house battery and sometimes I take a spare on the hitch haul for the C-Pap along with my Honda 2K and extra gas for long stays.

I guess my problem with Onan generators is the repair cost if one can't do it him or herself.Don't get me wrong,I like my Onan's when they run right.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:

If my currant Onan 4K ever goes out or needs expensive repairs it will come out and be replaced with a battery bank.

You might change you mind when you find out how much $$$ and space you will need to get 4KW of capacity out of batteries and an inverter......to run something like an A/C for any reasonable amount of time when shore power is not available. That usually is not a practical solution.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

mikemc53
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d wrote:
Be sure-fire-certain your coach's House (not Starting) Battery is good. Actually Good with Capital "G" Those gensets are really fussy about the battery. It'll seem good for everything else you ask it to do and won't crank the genny.

By all means, check connections, and be sure the cable ends aren't corroded WITHIN their terminals.

But if that battery's marginal, the genny will call you out on it!

This exactly. Just recently went through this and batteries fooled me at first. Check under load at the solenoid and if you check at the battery terminals do it after it has been off any type of charge for a few hours. Sometimes we check the battery right after we come off shore power and it looks good. Go back in a few hours and if it has dropped a bit...you probably need batteries.
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get a 35-4000 watt gen for $200 and a brand new 4K Onan starting at about $2600..

I have mixed feelings on the Onan,I like the ability to just push the button and it's going but it is noisy and runs at a high RPM for everything..I have two honda's (2k and 3K) and would never spend very much to get an Onan fixed.I'd pull it out and sell it,most likely.

I have never had to any any of my Onan's to the dealer,knock on wood.Usually it is something I can fix myself or a friend, but I baby them more than any other gen set I have ever had because they are so temperamental, unlike the Honda's..

If my currant Onan 4K ever goes out or needs expensive repairs it will come out and be replaced with a battery bank.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
Notice how Cummins/Onan has repairs priced at somewhat more than 1/2 price of a new unit?

I don't think that's a fair generalization at all.
How exactly did you come to that conclusion ?
In my case, they did a new carb for $200 and change.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dropping the generator is often somewhat involved (at least it is for me), but I agree that $1300 sounds awfully high unless their hourly labor rate is astronomical--in which case I guess it's still awfully high.

$220 or whatever for a starter and some oil also sounds very steep to me. OEM Onan starters are available online (at least what are claimed to be OEM starters) for around $90, and non-OEM aftermarket equivalents for $35 or so, plus shipping. If there were some other parts involved, then maybe it's starting to edge down towards the high but not unreasonable range of parts prices. Onan is generally quite proud of their parts.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Notice how Cummins/Onan has repairs priced at somewhat more than 1/2 price of a new unit? Might be good to start an independent repair shop if you have the savvy and can get parts at a reasonable price. I'll bet a smallish RV generator and electrical specialty repair shop could be successful in a city with a lot of RV activity, maybe offering solar etc., upgrades.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Just had my Onan 4k repaired for $700 and change here in Chicago. They quoted a few hours each to remove and reinstall at similar labor rates and great professional service, but $1900 seems pretty high. I know this is an older thread but wanted to share in case anyone needs a referral... Message me.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
I have gotten estimates of $300 (many years ago) to remove genset, troubleshoot it on the bench and reinstall it.

This is TOO much of a difference.
Are you sure we are all talking about the same model of RV here ??

Some are mounted on rails even for easy servicing.
Mine looks like it would fall out on the ground if 6 or so bolts were removed.
Apparently some are much more complicated than that.

OR the OP has found a dishonest Cummins dealer.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I have gotten estimates of $300 (many years ago) to remove genset, troubleshoot it on the bench and reinstall it. After that, parts and labor as needed. Once they have it out, you will be charged for the removal and replacement regardless of whether you give go ahead for the fix. It's too late to shop around for a better price. If you can find an independent generator shop, you might get fixed much cheaper.

Droptop351
Explorer
Explorer
That's crazy expensive it's really not that hard you can loosen the shroud and partially lower the generator to change the starter